• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

"wX" Android opensource/free weather app - new beta release 3.4

Pat,
Regardless of if the problem is related to themes I did reproduce a similar bug if a theme other then blue/black was used previously. This new version will at least allow one to access settings and change to blue or black.

I've uploaded 3.5282 to to normal spot.

Please let me know either way,
Josh

Josh,

Yes, I was using the green theme in the previous version. Trying the icons from my home local page while writing this on my laptop and getting the following:

a. The icons on the top tool bar don't function. I'll press but nothing happens.
b. The menu icon does provide the usual listing of options. As above, when I press any of the menu options nothing options.
c. When I press any of the bottom toolbar icons the entire program stops and I return to my phone icon page and the message "Unfortunately, wX has stopped."
d. I can easily get back into wX after I close out the message.
e. I can navigate to the SPC, MISC and Images pages. The top toolbar on these pages work just like they do on the local page.....press but nothing happens. Same with the menu options.
f. When I tap any of the boxes on the SPC, Misc or Images pages I get the "Unfortunately, wX has stopped" message and the program closes.
g. Everything on my local homepage (Colorado Springs - KCOS) appears up to date. I can tap the forecast and get the fully worded forecast. I can zoom on the radar. However, when I tap on the current conditions to get to the Denver skew-t I get the "Unfortunately wX has stopped" message and the program closes.

I have a Sprint Galaxy S5 that upgraded last weekend to Lollipop and don't seem to have any problems with the transition. My phone's not rooted.....I like to keep my phone options pretty simple and straightforward.

Hope that helps!

Pat

Josh,

We must've been messaging at the same time. I did download 3.5282 and did a quick check through the pages. The only issue I saw was with the SPC Mesoanalysis Map.....the menu function for observations, surface, upper air selections did not come up and would boot me back to the main SPC page. The area selections for the Mesoanalysis Map did function as intended plus the Surface and 500mb functions at the bottom functioned as well.

Everything else worked good, including the SPC Comp Map on the Misc page.

Hope I'm helping you.....Keep up the excellent work!

Pat

Pat,
I did just upload 3.5283 which re-enables support for the "green" theme. It will look a little different - let me know what you think. I can revert to the gradient instead of solid color and then the background, toolbars, and status bar can all be set to a specific shade of green ( or anything else ).

Thanks for checking things out and finding the issue with SPC Meso - by chance can you switch to the default blue theme and see if the issue is still there? There are at least 5 different activities that have a "nav drawer" like this but this is the only one with sub-menus so I'm glad you mentioned SPC Compmap is working as that at least narrows it down. Regardless it's not clear what would be causing this just yet after a quick glance at the code.

thanks,
Josh

Josh,

Downloaded 3.5283. It opened green, switched to blue, but the SPC Mesoanalysis page menu still kicked me back to the SPC page. Tried a different region but still acted the same.

The SPC Comp Map worked good.

Quick checks elsewhere seemed good too.

Pat

Pat,
I just uploaded a fix for this. Thanks ! Josh

---
The latest version 3.5284 has been uploaded to the URL below as "wX.apk". The next oldest version has been renamed to include the version number:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9OogdTO1kXqYzktaHZzdGdQSEk&usp=sharing

Android 4.2 or later is required.

Changes:

- Bugfix for nav drawer icon in SPC Meso, USwarn, and SPC storm reports. ( thanks to Pat for pointing this out )
- Initial Support added back in for "green" theme. Some elements such as spinners ( drop-down ) and nav drawer pull outs are still gray or blue for now.

Please let me know if you have any issues or suggestions on this new functionality.

thanks,
Josh

I've uploaded version 3.5294 to https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9OogdTO1kXqYzktaHZzdGdQSEk&usp=sharing to fix the following bug:

- for SPC Convective outlook Day 2 and Day 3 the URLs for the images change with DST. The method to determine if DST is in effect was not working properly.

Other minor enhancements are included which I'll detail later today or tomorrow but mostly impact non-US locations and more refinement and support for black/green/gray themes.

Thanks,
Josh

The latest version 3.5313 has been uploaded to the URL below as "wX.apk". The next oldest version has been renamed to include the version number:

Changes:
- Bugfix for SPC Conective Outlook Day2 / Day 3 graphics related to DST code not working as intended.
- Bugfix for Models, when zoomed in bottom of image was truncated by bottom toolbar
- Radar activities for CA/AU/NZ were converted to 2 toolbars
- Canada Text products converted to 2 toolbars
- Support for gray/green theme added and improved.
- Initial support for text to speach, Playlist, and sharing in Canada text products. ( FOCN45 - Significant Weather Discussion (PASPC), FXCN01 ,and Weather Summaries )
- Twitter state activity now uses a dedicated activity that inlcudes a spinner (drop-down ) in top toolbar to navigate between US states or CA Prov. The old method of long pres
sing on the state twitter icon is now considered deprecated but is still available for now ( similar to NWS Radar mosaics activity )
- Models: new models added "GEFS" and "CFSv2". For CFSv2 only the current run and any earlier runs from that day are availble for the time being given that the URL structure is
differnent then all other models at COD. ( more then the past 24hrs of runs are being suppoted )
- Models: certain labels were enhanced for example MUCAPE was changed to "MUCAPE / 500MB Bulk Shear"
- New UI option related to bottom toolbar. In settings you can toggle having icons evenly spaced or instead grouped to the right. Depending on your device size and how you use
it one might be a better option. To *not* have them evenly space is the default in Android 5.0
- Severe Dashboard was moved out of the overflow menu and onto the bottom toolbar since we now have more room and control on placement.
- PlayList was added as an option to the overflow menu on the main screen to prevent going through settings to get there.
- Many image/radar activities had the 6 frame animation item moved out of the overlow menu and to a "play" icon on the toolbar.
- Numerous translations added in support of Canada text products which have a whole new set of commonly used abbrevations ( such as "ENUF" and "MDLS" )

Please let me know if you have any issues or suggestions on this new functionality.

thanks,
Josh

The latest version 3.5331 has been uploaded to the URL below as "wX.apk". The next oldest version has been renamed to include the version number:

Changes:

- Default radar provider WXOGL now shows radar timestamp under product ID in upper left corner.
- Main screen top sliding toolbar now uses a change in text color instead of the white line under the toolbar to show current selection. The height of the top toolbar now matches the height of the bottom on.
- Many activities now include the capability ( when it makes sense ) to hide both toolbars by tapping on the main text or main image.
- Setting "Fullscreen mode" now hides toolbars in activities that support this. Tapping on the main text or image will show the toolbars again. NOTE: The models activity supports hide/show of toolbars but does not yet support fullscreen mode when entering the activity.
- In models, overflow and arrow icons were moved to bottom toolbar and sector spinner was moved to top toolbar to more closely match other activities. ( I expect UI changes like this and the one below to be less frequent for the rest of the development cycle before 3.6 release )
- Green theme's colors have been updated for a better experience.
- The main screen's overflow menu now includes "soundings" as tapping current conditions was somewhat of a hidden feature ( access still remains via this method ).
- Canadian locations hourly activity and severe weather alert are now functioning again after the CA EC website overhaul last fall. Support for Canada ( and AU/NZ ) remains in beta and this is not likely to change anytime soon. However, the Canadian radar activity and text product activity are considered stable.

thanks,
Josh

Thanks for all of your hard work Josh!

I noticed a problem with the previous version. When you are looking at Satellite imagery and want to overlay the mesoanalysis, the products don't overlay correctly or at all. Only temperature somewhat works as the just numbers (no contours) appear on the image.

Also, when you are looking at model soundings, I don't think there is a way to get back to the model home page from the sounding without having to press "Back" on your phone. This can get tiring especially when you have been plotting many model soundings which leads you to having to press "Back" many times until you return to the model home page.

Caleb,
No problem ! Thanks for your bug reports... I've uploaded 3.5332 to restore the top toolbar with the back icon in this activity, this got missed in the conversion to native toolbars. Thanks for mentioning.

With regards to mesoanalysis overlays on the vis I assume this is the GOES and not the COD activity(s)? Which sector are you operating in or does it not matter ( I ask as GOES has some inconsistencies that are hard to address )?

If you are using GOES one thing I might recommend is in settings to switch to COD as the default. It used to be the default and I'm finding it still might provide a better overall experience. The advantage of GOES with regards to wX is NWS appears to be using a mapping projection that is already supported in wX and thus tor/tst/ffw polygon warnings are shown.

Josh

Sounds good, I'll revisit GOES activity.

Also, uploaded 3.5333 to fix a bug introduced by rent changes in Models - text in upper left was not showing ( model run % complete )

Josh, this app is absolutely amazing! It has everything I've been looking for, without the crap. Thank you so much for your hard work on this and I look forward to subsequent releases!

Thanks for trying it and glad you like it ! Let me know if there is something you think could be added/enhanced.

Josh

Josh, what are the three numbers listed before the barometric pressure on the current conditions?

One possible enhancement is when viewing the animated radar, make an option available for continuous looping instead of animating once.

Josh, what are the three numbers listed before the barometric pressure on the current conditions?

Potentially there could even be 4:

temp ( wind chill or heat index ) / dew point ( relative humidity )

Thanks for feature request, I've added it to my list.

Another possible enhancement... An option for applying polygonal watch/warning overlays on the radar display.

Another possible enhancement... An option for applying polygonal watch/warning overlays on the radar display.

Thanks for the feedback, I do hope to bring SPC Wat/MCD polygons to more areas in the program, for now they are just in GOES. There is an option for warnings ( tst/tor/ffw ) under settings but not yet watches. However, there is more to it and I'll go into this morning in the next few days.

The latest version 3.5337 has been uploaded to the URL below as "wX.apk". The next oldest version has been renamed to include the version number:

Changes:

- All animations now support zoom and pan.
- SPC Meso now supports toolbar hide and fullscreen on start mode.
- Help mode now supports the main screen with current conditions and 7day
- COD is once again the default for cloud icon.
- GOES mesolanalysis submenu is disabled ( but can be enabled via debug mode ) pending research into some issues.
- Legacy Nexrad radar choices ( COD/IOWA/WX ) converted to dual toolbar.
- bugfixs in uswarn and wxogl

thanks,
Josh

Thanks for the feedback, I do hope to bring SPC Wat/MCD polygons to more areas in the program, for now they are just in GOES. There is an option for warnings ( tst/tor/ffw ) under settings but not yet watches. However, there is more to it and I'll go into this morning in the next few days.

I went ahead and did a write-up on the varoius nexrad and mosaic/vis/ir/wv content used by wX. It's in a folder called "DOCS" at the normal download URL. Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Another release out of band for an overdue improvement:

---

The latest version 3.5343 has been uploaded to the URL below as "wX.apk". The next oldest version has been renamed to include the version number:

Changes:
***Previously the only animation that did not loop was the Nexrad OpenGL animation ( lightning icon ). This release fixes that and makes it the default. Additionally zoom/pan was
not possible during the animation itself. That is now fixed as well. Once the animation is started the play icon changes to stop icon but selecting any other icon or overflow entry will stop the animation after it finishes the current cycle as well.
- PlayList settings now shows "mode" ( delete/play/up/down/text ) as a subtitle in top left instead of a short toast message. Mode no longer persists when leaving the activity.
- SPC Watches are now supported in PlayList
- Usability enhancements in GOES

thanks,
Josh

Josh, opened the new version and tapped the lightning bolt... and the app terminated ("Unfortunately, Wx has stopped ")

Another release out of band for an overdue improvement:

---

The latest version 3.5343 has been uploaded to the URL below as "wX.apk". The next oldest version has been renamed to include the version number:

Changes:
***Previously the only animation that did not loop was the Nexrad OpenGL animation ( lightning icon ). This release fixes that and makes it the default. Additionally zoom/pan was
not possible during the animation itself. That is now fixed as well. Once the animation is started the play icon changes to stop icon but selecting any other icon or overflow entry will stop the animation after it finishes the current cycle as well.
- PlayList settings now shows "mode" ( delete/play/up/down/text ) as a subtitle in top left instead of a short toast message. Mode no longer persists when leaving the activity.
- SPC Watches are now supported in PlayList
- Usability enhancements in GOES

thanks,
Josh

Back