WTB: Significant Tornadoes, 1680-1991 by Grazulis

Is this the book that was sometimes called: The Big Green Book???

I was lucky to win one (along with the addendum to 1995) on eBay years ago for $135 as the book wasn't available anywhere else for under $400 at the time. I was prepared to drop $250 on it. An ST member put one on eBay about a year after I purchased my copy and it fetched around $220 if my memory is good. I see several copies on the Amazon link and one on eBay for under $250. The price may seem steep but is not unreasonable if you want a copy of this relatively rare book that may very well not see another print.

A couple of the ones listed on Amazon concern me because I know these books have a history of the binding become weak resulting in pages falling out, even with only a modest amount of use. I'd be leery of these as I certainly wouldn't want to end up with a copy that has missing pages. Obviously, I know that it would be difficult to find one that is like-new, but if I could find one that has been well taken care of and not overly used (such as in a library as one of the Amazon listings states) I think it would be fine. As far as reprinting, I think they have had intentions of doing so for quite some time. I’m afraid it may not happen for a while, if ever. Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions!

If you did not know there is also an update book that covers the years from 91-95 by Tom Grazulis.

YES!!! This is a project that will be well worth the wait!

Should have waited on my PS on the 06-23-1998 Columbus, NE tornado thread. Didn't see this until after.

Just for the heck of it, I checked Amazon. "Significant Tornadoes, 1680-1991" They have 10 used copies the cheapest is $495.00 & went up to... $3214.79. Free shipping though! :eek:

That is one pricey book. I feel like several years ago the high end price on Amazon was closer to $1,000 but I could be wrong. Imagine what the price could be further down the road if this pace continues if you are lucky enough to find a copy at all. But hey at least the shipping is free!

The prices are high on the original because it's a collector's item and hard to find. Hopefully the updated version won't be as expensive, but due to the sheer size of the books I'd expect the price to be north of $200 for the set.

I should note that there are at least 155 libraries that have a copy of this book: http://www.worldcat.org/title/significant-tornadoes-1680-1991/oclc/29191441&referer=brief_results

If anyone wants info on a particular storm and doesn't have a library near them with it, message me and I will try to go look it up for you, as my local library here in Plano has it (although it can't be checked out and has to stay in the library). You might also try to get on interlibrary loan, as I suspect there is a library somewhere that does lend it.

The prices are high on the original because it's a collector's item and hard to find. Hopefully the updated version won't be as expensive, but due to the sheer size of the books I'd expect the price to be north of $200 for the set.
If I can remember correctly, the original book cost $100. I was able to get the 1880-1989 version on eBay last year for $30! I would expect this updated version would be more than the original book, but not what we're seeing on Amazon. I think $200 is reasonable.

Hello guys. I have a used copy of the book "Significant Tornadoes, 1680-1991" by Tom Grazulis, 1993. ISBN: 1879362031. May I ask what a reasonable price would be? It appears to be high when I look it up and don't want to just give it away. I appreciate any insight. John

I just looked it up in bookfinder.com. Whoa. I don't sell books, but I read somewhere to ignore the 3 lowest & highest priced, then go for the middle. Taking condition into consideration. Of course, you never know how much these books actually sold for, but still, all are over $245.

Try looking at ebay, show only completed items. May be more realistic, but the prices are still good. Note that in my experience, ebay is where the best bargains are, so they are priced a bit low? I didn't check ISBN's on ebay so some might not be identical to yours.

I just looked it up in bookfinder.com. Whoa. I don't sell books, but I read somewhere to ignore the 3 lowest & highest priced, then go for the middle. Taking condition into consideration. Of course, you never know how much these books actually sold for, but still, all are over $245.

Try looking at ebay, show only completed items. May be more realistic, but the prices are still good. Note that in my experience, ebay is where the best bargains are, so they are priced a bit low? I didn't check ISBN's on ebay so some might not be identical to yours.
Nancy,
Thank you very much for your insight and the great information you gathered. My copy has a mini issue with the binding but the book is in good shape. I will go on ebay and figure out how to proceed further. I'll let you know. Thanks again
John

Back