Would you mobile mesonet for science?

I think this is a great idea. I second Ric's question about what exactly a "reasonable cost" would entail, but I guess you'll work through such details. As an initial response, yes, I'd certainly be interested, and I'd like to learn more as you dig into the matter.

To take this a step further, I wonder if it would be possible to get grant funding to cover at least part of the cost of the equipment.

I would also support such an idea. Cost obviously is the greatest factor. I think most here are more than willing to help the science out in any way we can. When it comes to sinking thousands of dollars for a mesonet device however is where most people would turn their heads. Affordability goes a long ways. Please keep us informed on this though.

I'm definitely interested along with everyone else, and it seems like there is going to be a huge demand for this mesonet kit given the responses here already. I have a few questions though...

First of all, who is going to be consuming this data? How is it actually going to be effectively used? Will the public have access to this data?

Is this a profit venture or does "at cost" mean the builder is simply buying the parts? Will the instruments be marked up to be certified/calibrated? It seems like a lot of people could be buying these kits for science, and if the data isn't being effectively used, everyone will be just spending money to build advertising beacons for the sale of more mesonet kits.

If this is a volunteer research effort, I'm definitely on board. Can we be up and running by the 2010 season?

If there was no cost to me, or nominal costs, then yes. At the moment, my budget for chasing in the plains is very limited (a big reason I didn't go out in 2009). I have to save all the money I can for hurricane season (my primary chase interests).

Now in the future, when my money is more free flowing, I could easily see spending up the $2500+/- for the basic mesonet. I'm sure beyond that wouldn't be too much of an issue either, but I figure purchased in bulk, and I assemble the superstructure it mounts on, shouldn't be too much more than that.

To take this a step further, I wonder if it would be possible to get grant funding to cover at least part of the cost of the equipment.

Most grants I've ever seen deal with non-profit agencies, not individual people. I we would have a hard time getting Wal-Mart to fund our personal weather stations...

Once you bump up above a couple hundred bucks, you've lost me. I'm all for contributing to science if science makes it affordable for me to do so. But my budget is lean, I need a new camcorder and a good wide-angle lens before I need a data pack--and before any of that, I've got to be able to afford to chase in the first place, or else the rest is irrelevant.

I suspect that a lot of folks here are faced with a similar reality. "Affordable" is a pretty subjective word, but it's a make-it-or-break-it word for many a chaser. Something to factor in.

great idea... V2 is great but having chasers out in all parts of the country, chasing setups that are atypical or weak, and all throughout the year seems a great idea.... I am sure a ton of interesting data would come of it. Count me on board as well.

The goal would be a "kit" that doesn't cost the chaser more than a couple hundred bucks. We know that once we get above say $500 we loose people. The scientific community (so I'm told by a few VORTEX2 principles) doesn't need super precise. What they need are lots and lots of consistent data. The researchers can deal with data that isn't precise down to 0.001. Given the choice they'd rather have 1000 "good enough" than 4 "perfect" measurements.

It's only in the planning stages folks...I just wanted to make sure all this work wasnt going to go down the toilet.

The data would be free to anyone who wanted it, much like the SN is. (unless you yourself want to charge money for it..then you'd have to license or something..like how the SN works today)

-Tyler

First of all, who is going to be consuming this data?

Primary user would probably be severe weather researchers, but some advanced operational warning/forecast folks in the NWS might use it.

How is it actually going to be effectively used?

That's up to the researchers. At the CoD symposium I was struck by talk after talk after talk that had the under tone of "we just don't have the data" and I thought..we'll why cant the chaser community help?

Will the public have access to this data?

If I have anything to do with it..yes.

Is this a profit venture or does "at cost" mean the builder is simply buying the parts?

Not-for-profit. If nothing else it would be under the Spotter Network umbrella. It's in line with our charter.

Will the instruments be marked up to be certified/calibrated?

Yes. To whatever level we can get. That's the point of everyone running the same gear. We can't have some folks running Davis and some folks running OS and some running hack jobs. It obviously can't be $5000 kits. We basically need to find the best parts we can while still keeping the price down. The goal is common gear, even if that means common gear that isn't perfect.

It seems like a lot of people could be buying these kits for science, and if the data isn't being effectively used, everyone will be just spending money to build advertising beacons for the sale of more mesonet kits.

Hopefully folks trust me enough to know I wouldn't do that. It's all about supporting the science. If science doesn't want it, there's no point doing it.

If this is a volunteer research effort, I'm definitely on board. Can we be up and running by the 2010 season?

I doubt it. We still need to build the parts and write the software. Maybe a few prototypes will make it into the field..but don't expect 1000 units by March 2010 :)

-Tyler

I'm just trying to visualize this. It gets a little crazy once you picture it a little bit. Here a probe, there a probe, everywhere a probe probe.

No, I'm not bashing it at all. Just trying to picture it is all...and that is where I find some humor.

Back