Wink Texas: 1 percent relative humidity

WEST TEXAS WEATHER ROUNDUP
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LUBBOCK TX
500 PM CST SUN FEB 05 2006

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS

WINK SUNNY 87 -18 1 W25 29.74S

Mike

Ok, this is prolly going to be a stupid question that I'll wake up and have the answer myself, but is it possible to have a RH of 0%? I think that 1% is the lowest humidity I've ever seen :shock:
Angie

Ok, this is prolly going to be a stupid question that I'll wake up and have the answer myself, but is it possible to have a RH of 0%? I think that 1% is the lowest humidity I've ever seen :shock:
Angie

0% is possible only by rounding... If there's ANY moisture in the air, you really couldn't have exactly 0% RH. If you think of RH, crudely, as being proportional to the ratio of amount of water vapor in the air to the amount of water vapor needed for saturation, you see that, as long as the actual amount of water vapor in the air is greater than zero, you can't really have 0%. You could have 1/12039402384092843093928409, which would be a very, very tiny percentage, but it's still not 0. Of course, many sources (and instruments) will probably only report to the nearest percentage point, so 0.4% RH may get rounded down to 0%.

Back