Windows7 and Firewire troubles

I built a new system back in August that was rock steady running under Windows Vista 32bit.

I recently switched to Windows 7 64bit, and among other things, I can't get my firewire (built into the motherboard) to recognize ANY of my cameras. It's like you never plugged anything in.

Doing research I only found a couple of "fixes" neither of which worked, and evidently they have restructured the way firewire works under Windows7.

Has anyone else had this issue? Did you resolve it and how?

I'm trying to decide it it's possible a firewire driver issue, or just the new way W7 handles firewire and maybe even in 64 bit.

I have 2 external hard drives that connects using firewire, didn't have any problems with em' after upgrading to Windows 7. Though that doesn't say much as external hard drives isn't the same as a video camera. Might be a driver issue, hard to say.

Are you using 32bit or 64bit?

The initial "new device" detection should be the same regardless of the device. Now what driver gets installed at that point would be different of course.

I can't even get it to detect them to get to that point.

David, i had the same problem, the way i fixed it was: I Went into device manager and uninstalled the firewire device, hit refresh, and updated with new drivers. Then I bought a brand new high quality sony cable.

I hope this works for you,
Jake Tyson

Tried uninstalling the firewire device already. More than once.
I don't think it's a cable issue, they worked just fine before win7 and work on my laptop on vista

not sure if this will be much help to you ,david. If you can obtain the Windows 7 Professional Edition, there is a built in compatibility mode built into the OS which will allow you to go to XP or Vista compatibility modes within Windows 7 Professional. Best of luck in finding a fix for your issue.

ok well look for driver for the firewire device for 64 bit vista, may help, to get mmy minidv camera working i needed to do that for the firewire device

That's the problem. I don't know what chip the firewire is running since it's built on the board, and the manuf specs dont say. I emailed them but nothing back yet

Are you using 32bit or 64bit?

The initial "new device" detection should be the same regardless of the device. Now what driver gets installed at that point would be different of course.

I can't even get it to detect them to get to that point.

I'm using 64 bit. When I installed Windows 7 I didn't have to install any of my drivers, everything has worked perfectly since upgrading. Makes me wonder if you're just having problems with the driver, hard to say. I know you're computer smart as I am, so I am positive you already been through all the basics.

Yeah, being the way I am, it's kicking my butt I can't figure it out (I think some call that anal). Took me 3 days to finally troubleshoot a BSOD issue.

I was told there is a version for 32bit and a version for 64bit. I hope you figure out your problem.

Good day all,

I got a dual-boot on my desktop after all those crazy Win Vista issues last year. One boots XP Pro 32 and the other Vista 64 Ultimate. The latter is for HD video and such (Premiere / CS4) and works rock-solid.

I refuse to go to Windows 7 just because ALL MY STUFF IS WORKING at this time ;-)

Many people only SAY these NEW things are better, but that's now a "warning" for me not to upgrade until all the bugs and such are worked out.

In a nut-shell you might even want to contact the camera manufacturer as somethines these things are device specific ... Does a fire-wire hard drive work when you plug it in?

I highly recommend anyone running Windows Vista to switch to Windows 7. I was reluctant to make the switch, but was talked into and man I am so glad I did. Windows 7 is so much faster and runs so much better than Windows 7. I've been running it for about 3 weeks now and have not had any issues, all the programs I used on Vista runs perfectly on Windows 7. The jump was definitely worth it, I'm going to be upgrading my laptop to Windows 7 shortly.