• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Windows on Apple Silicon Macs Question

Has anyone run GRLevel3, GR2Analyst, or Baron Mobile Threat Net on Windows on Parallels Desktop on an Apple Silicon Mac? If so, do they run well, or do they have any issues? Can Windows on Parallels Desktop on an Apple Silicon Mac run Windows apps on two different monitors if I had a Mac that supported a multi-monitor setup?

Thanks!

A couple of members who used to be active I know ran it on Parallels, but I've not spoken with or heard from them in a few years. I've not attempted to run Parallels on my MacBook Pro as I still have an older Dell that runs Win 10 that I have all my radio programming and radar software on. That's about all I use Windows for anymore. Daily stuff I'm either on my MacBook or on one of my Linux machines.

Sounds good. I used Parallels years ago on an Intel Mac. I was curious about using it on the newer Apple Silicon Macs. I still have a dedicated Windows PC notebook I can run my radar stuff on, but I'm going to likely keep an Apple Silicon desktop Mac around next year for video editing, and I've been considering a dual-screen setup on that Mac. It would be super-fun to have Baron MTN up on one screen and GR up on the other screen when I'm at home tracking storms (on-the-go, I'll have to be confined to a notebook screen).

Yeah mine is an Intel as it's 3 or 4 years old now. I haven't messed with the desktop ones at all. I do all my editing on my MacBook Pro. Big reason being because Final Cut Pro is my preferred editing software.

I have an Intel iMac Pro plus an M2 MacBook Air. Really enjoying Apple Silicon. I own a license to FCPX but need to get into learning it more. I still feel undertrained when opening it. :)

I'm going to date myself a little, but I learned video editing on FCP back in the early 2000s when I was in high school. We were running MiniDV camcorders. This was before even the HDV format of the MiniDV tapes made it into the wild. There's been a fair amount of change with FCP in the two decades between then and now, but I've found it to be much more intuitive to use than Adobe Premiere, which is why I still use it. I think DaVinci Resolve would be the only one I'd consider, but I'm very happy with FCP and have been for over two decades now.

I remember MiniDV! I also remember the FCP jump from 7 to X. True that it is more intuitive than Premiere, and no subscription for the desktop version (at least not yet). I got in at a student license, so I got the whole suite for $199.

Baron's threat net should run fine on a m series MacBook since it is web based. I primarily run radarscope since it will work on all of my devices, MacBook Pro, iPad, and iPhone and can stay away from the crap Microsoft produces especially since Bill Gates was involved in the unnecessary mandates of 2020.

Back