Wind gust tragedy

Not that I have a problem with the issue (posting third-party material given a good citation), but just a friendly reminder before one of the mods jumps on ya about it... I suppose that if you linked to it as well, it'd probably be more okay...

Ok, My daughter told me what i did wrong.
I should have put a source....... AOL news

Pardon the hell out of me

Yeah John, need to have you edit your post in accordance with this quote taken from Tim's post:
http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2635

Everyone doing this is asked to stop, or it will result in a warning or suspension. If you need to post a story that's fine, but either use an abbreviated quotation to make your point or post a link to that story. Also if you have posted entire news stories recently we ask that you edit your post to trim them down to relevant quotations so that it be considered fair use.

If you can do that for me please I will skip the warning this time. :wink:

Copyright infringement can get pretty serious so we need to stick to this rule on ST pretty firm. I don't think John meant any harm guys, he's more informed now on the issue. :)

Didn't know i was doing anything wrong. Still don't understand.It was on AOL's welcome screen anybody can click it.
Anyway I deleated it.
The problem comes when people copy and paste and entire article about something.. Its better to put up a portion of it then link to the remaining portion of the story rather than copy and paste the entire thing.

This became an issue when people were doing the copy paste thing of the outlooks and watches/warnings issued and in order to keep things as a standard its asked across the board for anything.

No harm no foul but if its something everyone can access by clicking the link to the story then there is no point in wasting the bandwidth by posting the full length of it..

Just a snippit of what happened and the link is how stories such as these should be posted when referencing a third party article or information.

something everyone can access by clicking the link to the story then there is no point in wasting the bandwidth by posting the full length of it..

Ok, but heck, "the full story was only about 5 lines anyway LOL wasn't long at all. The link was from AOL, but only AOL users can actually open the link.

But I won't do it again

Didn't know i was doing anything wrong. Still don't understand.It was on AOL's welcome screen anybody can click it.
Anyway I deleated it.

Think of it this way John. Everyone can read a newspaper, in fact several people can read the very same paper delivered to one house. Wouldn't be right though to take an article out of that paper and print it in your own paper without permission. That is essentially what copying another story completely from another site to here would be. In fact, many members here called USAToday on the carpet not to long ago for lifting comments from here without permission and printing them in their newspaper. We would be hypocrites if we turned around and did the same thing here.

Now of course we all see relevant stories we might have a comment about and want others to comment on. That is when copying a small part of the important stuff and linking to the rest of the story, then commenting on it becomes fair use and ok rather than copying the entire thing.

Jeff was just trying to give you a heads up because the mods have been warning/suspending peoples accounts for posting third party stories... I guess he didn't want this to happen to you....

That's what I was doing! No offense, John! I've done the same thing before, so... :)

Thanks David, I understand.

Jeff I want to apologize. Yesterday was not a good day, found out I might have a herniated disk in my back, then found out at the stable I work at we had to put down one of the horses do to old age & Colic.
So took everything the wrong way, you were tring to be helpful. I was just in a rotten stinked mood.
So I apologise to you Jeff & stormtrack members.

P.S. I'll go stand in the corner for 1 hour :oops:

Back