I've been wanting to do this with tornado photos of mine for a while - because it touches something submliminal that exists in all of us ... personally, this is why I feel this is:
Mike posted this in another thread and it got me thinking. Why WHY did this trigger something in so many people who have this ... obession?
I swear... it's so wierd, but that's where it started, right there. I remember as a young kid laying on the floor with my pillow, "staying up late" to watch this movie my parents kept raving about. That scene sparked something deep inside my 5 year old brain.
Here are a couple of reasons why (I think) this scene sparked something:
- Fear of the unknown. As a kid growing up in S. Cal, I had no idea what the heck that thing was.
- Terrifying, yet beautiful. It's that contrast in emotions that just added (adds) to the intense curiosity.
- The mood of the scene... black and white... the buildup... the sounds, and the eventual terror.
- It transported Dorothy to a magical place... which for me was boring compared to the tornado scene!
- Other... I still can't put it into words.
So was this the starting point for you? If so why???