Who is still selling and/or still creating chase highlight DVD/Blu-Rays

A video clipping service of more unusual types of tornadoes from across the web are what we need. Vortices from airplane inlets--what have you.

What I would like to see most would be some waterspout chasers use this to get into the cores of the better ones with funnels that touch the surface

https://seabreacher.com/purchase/

I love buying dvd's from other chasers, sitting on my couch during our 6 months of winter in in Saskatchewan Canada, and enjoying every second of what I see on their dvd's!

With that said I make a DVD for every chase season. When/If I get a great chase day, ya I will load that to youtube right a way but I still have people that ask every year so I am gladly going to continue to make them.

My videos are more like "the whole day's events" not just storm - done. I like to film the adventure of every day that I head out from start till finish.

I have also seen a decline in sales, so I now just make them as the orders come in and always have a few to bring to Trade Shows or Events.
Personally, the sales for me are not the most important thing anyways. I would be making them for my close friends/family regardless as I find them a great way to "look back" on the day. Sometimes I am so busy and caught up in the moment, when I edit the footage later I find myself saying "Oh I forgot about that , cool!" or something, and that itself is worth it to me :)

The sad part is that you do miss things while filming. It’s nice to be able to go back, watch and relive a chase. At the same time, it’s nice to have that uninterrupted memory without the blank spots where you are focused on shooting photos and video. Thankfully, dash cams can do a lot of the heavy lifting nowadays, so you can have your cake and eat it too..

If I ever do a production (and I've thought about doing so in the future), it would:

a) have to include mostly career chases. I'd think including every chase would get really boring really fast (no offense to anyone who does this). It's been going on 5 years since my first tornado and I only have like 3 days that meet my standards for any production. It'll probably take multiple seasons of successful chasing for me to have enough confidence that the final product would be quality.

b) have to tell some sort of story. I don't know if I'd do narration, but maybe precise cutting together of video that best portrays the "story" of the chase in an interesting way.

c) probably have to be available for digital download or some other purely digital format. I don't even know how to do so or through what platform, but I'd imagine it'd have more appeal than a physical bluray. I'd probably have a physical option as well.

I wouldn't expect it to sell well. Even the best, most unique chase DVD ever would probably do pretty poorly sales-wise due to lack of interest and over-saturation of the market these days. If I do one, it'll be much more out of personal fulfillment and less so as a way to make money.

Unless you are the among the best (which I am far from), or have a professional film crew, then it's probably not worth it to try selling a chase highlight DVD. If you're looking to share footage, perhaps behind-the-scenes or previously unreleased with other chasers and enthusiasts, then it's a different story.

After having enough chases in one year to make a highlight reel, in 2015, I put together a top 10 video of best chases and it got very little traction on social media. I could have promoted it more or worked on a more professional presentation, but for me, I wanted to quickly showcase my best chases from the year. As it was, I spent a considerable amount of time and it wasn't worth the return. In 2016, I had the best year of my career and did a similar top 10 video, but although it did slightly better, it still had less views than pretty much individual tornado video I've ever posted on YouTube.

With the advancement of social media, everyone shares their footage in real-time or immediately after the fact. Aside from a novelty idea, I think it's just a different world now with sharing chase footage than it was, let's say, before Twitter. I still think it's a cool idea for chasers to put these videos together and I would be interested in watching them, but I don't put a lot of effort into producing something like that. Maybe part of that is because 2017 was such a dull year of chasing and I didn't get a lot of great footage anyway.

For people in my camp. it's probably a better idea to wait to develop a collection of career chases and then do a best-of complilation, like Billy mentioned.

There is still a part of me that has a fondness for old school chasing and something like Shane Adam's USB collection (shows the time we're in now...) is a rarity that will probably become more rare with time. I long for a chase with a slow-moving beast over open country at close range with few (if any) other chasers around. As that becomes more and more difficult to achieve, it makes me want to try even harder to experience the feeling of that.

If you like a production to go along with the tornado footage I cannot say enough good things about what @Blake W. Naftel put together for volume one of Storm Chasing: The Anthology. It was quite an involved project to produce the Blu Ray and DVDs earlier this year, but the final product was a class act. One run of DVDs and Blu Ray discs were produced and going forward the product will only be available on Vimeo On Demand, including new material. Here is where the announcement was made. On the home page Blake mentioned there are a few left for anyone interested in purchasing one.
Ditto Mark's comment. But bear in mind, besides Blake's expertise as a videographer and journalist, his approach was unique, focused on the whole historical/developmental/cultural curve of storm chasing, not just on the storms. Definitely a class act, and a courageous one at that, a labor of love that persevered through daunting challenges. Storm chasing videos as a rule don't have that same vision, nor should they. My own video library is miniscule, and some of it, recorded on old mini DVs, is lost simply because it was too crappy to redeem. No biggy. I have my memories, and as for video documentation, I hope to get more and better. The thing is, I'll do it for myself. I'm kind of glad that storm profiteering is a thing of the past; it brings us back to basics. If you document, once again you do it purely for the love of the storms. Barring some truly remarkable incident, there's no other reason anymore that I can see.

Back