Where should I stay while chasing?

Sounds like a good idea when I read it, but then when I imagine myself in the field and finding a motel I don't really envision myself checking the ST database first. That's just me obviously, maybe others feel they'd use it more often but I figure I'd likely just have to find out the hard way.

I may not check it the hour before coming into a town, but sometimes I usually have an idea of where I might end up a half a day before. Such a list would allow me to keep in mind any hotels on a "bad" list which are in that area.

If you are ever going to stay in a Motel6 in Amarillo, go to the one in the center of town. It is almost always 5+ dollars cheaper than the ones on the Eastern and Western edge of town along I-40. I dont think I have seen it one time in the past fews years where they were ever the same price. I dont know about the quality of any of them though. I figure it is common practice among most hotels along interstates like that to be cheaper more towards the center of town, since people normally stop at the first place they see.

Need name

The second was a small mom-pop hotel in Electra, Tx near Wichita Falls. They hadnt changed the furniture or bedsheets since the 70's even though the orange and brown shag carpet was interesting. The TV even had one of those old 1 clicker tv remotes. All it would do is go up and tunr it on/off. If you past a channel you had to go all the way through them all to get back to yours. I should have known when I went into the office and they were behind bullet proof glass and had a bank drawer to slide the keys through.

Jay:

Sounds kinda like one Weathervine crew got stuck with a few years ago on Memorial Day (last place in town with available rooms). The had midgets a prostitutes running around all night. We took shifts watching the vehicles all night. I believe it was a Comfort Inn, but I think its the renovated Ramada on highway 287 on the west side of town.

Anyway, do you know the name of that hotel. Was it possibly the Electra Inn?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the process of creating a database for chasers to share their experiences with lodging in tornado alley. This will be open for all to view and edit.

The link will be up tonight.

Me too

Chad:

I was just working one up too. I'll likely have a preview in a few hours. I'll take a peak at yours when its up.

Jay:

Sounds kinda like one Weathervine crew got stuck with a few years ago on Memorial Day (last place in town with available rooms). The had midgets a prostitutes running around all night. We took shifts watching the vehicles all night. I believe it was a Comfort Inn, but I think its the renovated Ramada on highway 287 on the west side of town.

Anyway, do you know the name of that hotel. Was it possibly the Electra Inn?

That may be the name of the hotel. It is on the east side right by a bar. It is just a strip drive up motel. They were having some big concert in Wichita Falls so all the rooms were booked. this is all there was until you got to Childress and we were way too tired to go any further plus we had nasty storms to our west. In fact we were awakened 3 times during the night for either golfball hail 1 time and 2 tornado warnings. Between the nasty room and the weather it was a night from hell. That and All 3 of us (Kanani, me, Bill) were fighting with each other cause we missed the tornado due to vehicle trouble and we were sick of being in the car with each other plus arguing with people back home. I think that is the night Bill's wife left him and Kanani and her BF broke up.

All I will say is .. chase from hell!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to Chad's post above on motels, (Chad is updating his list)
I am working on a "project" to see if I can come up with a discount program for chasers at various motels. I would like input from members on particular cities they frequently, usually, or normally stay. The names of particular motels would also be helpful if you have them.
Most all of the chain motels will offer us a "corporate" discount, but we may also find some of the independent motels receptive. In addition, numerous of the chain motels are individually owned and operated and will offer better deals locally than through a corporate program. If we could all save an average of $10-$20 per night, it would be nice.
I would also like to add or include in this list, any local favorite restaurants that others have enjoyed or recommend.
Please forward via PM or Email or through this post, if allowed, any of the following info that will help us.
1. Most common or requested cities to stay in.
2. Particular motels names if known.
3. Favorite or recommended restaurants.
4. Any other helpful info.
I will keep everyone up to date on how this project is working.
This project is not a part of Stormtrack, but I am working on this to further benefit all of us.
Thanks.

I prefer the Comfort Inn chains...which includes Quality Inns etc. I stay there so much I signed up for their rewards and get extra bonus points because I am a Gold Member. Then I get to cash in the points for free nites...can't beat that deal.

We should set up a database on the good hotels and dives throughout the plains. I can't tell you how many times I stay at a hotel and their WiFi is on the fritz. We could look these up ahead of time and avoid them before we check in. There was a little known hotel we stayed at in Great Bend, Kansas last year which was top notch and fairly cheap...but the name escapes me.

I prefer the Comfort Inn chains...which includes Quality Inns etc.

My choice (no pun intended) also, I usually get what I'm expecting, no nasty surprises. Clean room, free breakfast, Wi-Fi, fridge, ample space, reasonable prices usually around $75-$90, AAA discount. The only bad experience I had with the chain was the Quality Inn in Lubbock, never been disappointed with Comfort Inn. I've listed a few places I've stayed in Chad's database, good idea Chad. Wish I'd have known about the Super 8 in Garden City beforehand:eek:

National Storm Chase Guest Houses

In possible 2009 or 2010 there will be a couple of National Storm Chase Guest Houses in place in the plains for storm chasers as a way to give back to the storm chase community. The plan is that when they are purchased chasers are just asked to bring provisions and something to add the the houses. We are thinking near hastings Nebraska, and another one in Oklahoma. Any Ideas let me know.
Ryan Shepard

Back