Where should I stay while chasing?

RV'g

Solve all your problems with this...works for us!

marquis_homeimage.jpg

That's funny. I've actually thought of that idea before. However, my spin on it was that I was thinking of it being more a replica of some of the EOC mobile command vehicles. I would purchase a blank RV (no interior, and basic white outer paint). I would custom build the interior to house about 6 or 8 people (chasers and support crew). It would have a forecast desk, video editing desk, and a communications desk. One hurdle is the high speed internet access, I'm sure there's solutions, but the costs for high speed while mobile was high for that many users. The savings part is that there would be no hotel costs, however, you still need to have two or three chase vehicles driving with the RV, since the RV obviously couldn't storm intercept. As an additional money maker part to it, I thought of offering forecasting and computer access to other chasers on the road. It could be done on board or though a local wireless network.

After some research though the cost of the RV was about 400% the normal cost for a chase season. I couldn't see recouping the money until about the 10th year of chasing (just to break even). The cost of the RV plus the Gas for the RV and associated chase vehicles really killed the cost.

But is surely will be my solution if I end up making big bucks, and cost is no option. Because I'll likely be seeing the rest of the country in an RV for at least a year.

But to answer your original question, don't rule out State Parks. These are especially good on down days, since they are usually located in neat areas to visit (like my favorite Clayton Lake S.P. in n.e. NM). A lot better than sleeping in the car (which may be breaking the law, like here in Maryland). You do need a tent and sleeping bag, but those don't take up much space. State Parks usually are $8-$15 a night. Sometimes KOA and other private campgrounds work well too.

Last edited by a moderator:
from "How to save money to chase this year" thread

Hotel
Tip#1
Stopping at rest stops and truck stops along the Interstates, usually you can pick-up the coupon books with discounted rates.

I've paid around $50 average (per night) with those....and as little as $35.

I like the Brandon Motor Inn (Rt. 60, Brandon FL), near Tampa. They're not a chain, and have decent prices. From it, I can locally chase 3-4 miles towards Tampa, before traffic gets hairy, have access to either Rts. 4 and 75, or go east several miles, if something develops there. Happily, Florida t-storms are usually slow-moving. Otherwise, it's usually Motel 6, Super 8, or Econo Lodge, or any other budget place. An outdoor roofed balcony over my head is a must, if at all possible.

It's rare that we stay out, but when we do the choice is simple. Does it have a roof and four walls? Is it clean? Yes? Excellent.
Sprint MB cards eliminate 99% of the decision-making headaches of choosing a place to stay. Besides, after we've driven all day and already spent a boatload, money is the last variable on our minds. We take the next thing we see, because usually it's a small town with no chains and they're all the same once you're talking independently-run motels.

Hotwire and similar sites can be beneficial in larger areas for savings, but because you have to reserve the room hours in advance to get the deal, it's nearly impossible to use because you never know where you're going to end up.

Two of my favorite and frequent stops in the Texas Panhandle are the Big Texan Hotel, which is the step-child to the famous restaurant, and the Days Inn in Dumas. http://www.bigtexan.com/motel.htm

The Dumas Days Inn is fairly new, very clean, and quite comfortable. We stay there for work all the time when up that way. I stay in Amarillo at da Big Texan Hotel when passing through town like for heading to Colorado to the Storm Chaser Convention or for snow skiing.

I need to revise a previous statement I have made and say that since I just took a new full time job I am leaving the hotel I work at will no longer be able to get my discount at Marriott Hotels starting February 13th, 08.

I have stayed in many places from top end comfort inns to bottom end roach motels. Most I have survived with little mental anguish except one place that still haunts me (actually 2). DO NOT stay at the Days Inn in Altus for any reason!! I cant even describe the filth and danger of this place. From black smoke stains on the walls where lights had shorted out to bed sheets that still has sweat stains from the previous occupant!! Then there was the black mold all over the walls and tub in the bathroom.

The second was a small mom-pop hotel in Electra, Tx near Wichita Falls. They hadnt changed the furniture or bedsheets since the 70's even though the orange and brown shag carpet was interesting. The TV even had one of those old 1 clicker tv remotes. All it would do is go up and tunr it on/off. If you past a channel you had to go all the way through them all to get back to yours. I should have known when I went into the office and they were behind bullet proof glass and had a bank drawer to slide the keys through.

I used to base where we stayed on internet availability then price. Now with data cards its easier to stay in the lower priced hotels like a motel 6 or days inn. Ofcourse I still love the Comfort Inns and Marriots but those are luxuries.

The worst hotel I stayed at was a small independent one in Guymon, OK. Bugs crawling in the bed sheets and everything dirty, as in not cleaned in weeks. I slept in my sleeping bag on the bed after flicking all the bugs off.

The interesting thing about the cheap hotels is that the ones run by Americans (like the one in Guymon) tend to be worse. The cheaper hotels that are run by people of foreign descent (Middle Eastern, Asian or Indian) are usually ones that you can trust to be cleaner and nicer. Some are as nice as major chains.

I frequently stay at cheap hotels. However, I do get concerned about how clean these hotels are. After what Dan Robinson said, I was wondering has ST ever made a list of hotels to avoid? If not I think we should make such a list. I think this would be helpful when we come into a town that we have not stayed at before.

Already working on it.

I frequently stay at cheap hotels. However, I do get concerned about how clean these hotels are. After what Dan Robinson said, I was wondering has ST ever made a list of hotels to avoid? If not I think we should make such a list. I think this would be helpful when we come into a town that we have not stayed at before.

I had the same idea. Probably should have asked if someone else started too, or if anyone had such a database.

It'll likely take a while, but I'm starting with the testimonals listed here.

I had the same idea. Probably should have asked if someone else started too, or if anyone had such a database.

It'll likely take a while, but I'm starting with the testimonals listed here.

Sounds like a good idea when I read it, but then when I imagine myself in the field and finding a motel I don't really envision myself checking the ST database first. That's just me obviously, maybe others feel they'd use it more often but I figure I'd likely just have to find out the hard way.

Yeah, but...

Sounds like a good idea when I read it, but then when I imagine myself in the field and finding a motel I don't really envision myself checking the ST database first. That's just me obviously, maybe others feel they'd use it more often but I figure I'd likely just have to find out the hard way.

Andrew, I thought about that too, but I like making resources for chasers to use whether or not I may or may not use it.

I will say, it's not going to be an all intensive list, I'll likely look into having folks submit there own testimonals, just like the only hotel websites, but restrict it to the chase territory, and to the lower cost hotels ($100 or less per night).

I really do think I'd check into it while on the road. No one wants to check into a "scummy" place and I'd definitely drive to the surrounding towns just to have a comfortable stay and a good night's sleep.

I stayed at a Red Roof Inn and although the hotel was acceptable, I was worried about someone breaking into my vehicle all night. Had I known it was in such a bad neighborhood before I drove there, I might have paid more to stay closer (and sleep better) and not drive extra miles looking for a cheaper rate. I was just too tired to keep looking.

I think the idea of a "preferred motel" list is a good one. From my own experience, many motels, including the chains, will offer some type of discount to people from a group or club if their motel is promoted or listed on some type of list. I have found that if a particular motel offers, say a best rate of $55.00 - $60.00 per night, they will be glad to offer a rate of at least $10.00 - $15.00 off of that if their motel is listed as a preferred place to stay. Possibly other perks routinely included are; later check-out times, no charges for two or more people, free room upgrades, etc. It is in their best interest to offer these type discounts as they know they will likely be getting some extra business for several months per year. Obviously this does not work with all motels, but it worth asking the owner / manager if a good place is found. The worse they can do is say no and the best is that we can possibly find some good prices and safer places to park and be able to share this info with each other.

Back