When You First Started: The Biggie Mistakes

One of many MAJOR mistakes during the first years of storm chasing, happened on May 3, 1999. Back then, instead of learning from experienced chasers, we would chase warning statements from the NWS...knowing very little about storm structure. Basically we'd drive around like a chicken with its head cut off.

On May 3, 99, we were very lucky and intercepted the Moore supercell in its early stages just northeast of Lawton. After watching the first few tornadoes and the developing wedge, we attempted to get closer. Near Bridgecreek, we were driving northward through a forested area...and completely lost visual of the wedge and our position relative to the storm. When we emerged from the trees, we looked to our west and saw the F-5 wedge moving rapidly towards us...it was only about a mile away. Instead of turning the car around and driving in the other direction (our car was a soft-top Geo Tracker--which is another mistake)...We abandoned our vehicle and ran on foot to the nearest overpass!!! thinking the tornado was going to hit us! In the end, it missed us by a few hundred yards, and the entire side of our vehicle was covered in mud, insulation, and other small debris.

Not a smart decision to say the least.

1. God God? If not, you'll be praying to some higher power at some point in time, because if not you're probably doing something wrong.:rolleyes:

2. I never carried any serious photography or video recording equipment for the first 5+ years; I just drove to the storm and pursued it...don't ask. The good news is that I encountered few significant tornadic storms during those five years (save for the July 2004 Roanoke, IL event), although the bad news of course is that I still missed some great photo and/or video ops. For God sakes, take either a camera or a camcorder..don't be an idiot like me..it's worth the investment even if it's just a disposable camera.

3. I had a horrible tendency to "punch the core" without ever really intending to do so. The good news is that I never sustained any significant hail damage.

4. At the onset of my first season, I was on a permanent scudwarn program. Don't be in a hurry to create a situation or mistake gustnadoes for tornadoes. Watch the storm and observe it's behavior before letting the "Zeitgeist" take over and sweep you away.

5. Like a few others, I mispositioned myself a few times. I hit the ditch once after being caught less than 1/2 mile from a rain-wrapped tornado that was bearing down on my location at a dead end country road. Buy a GPS and/or a good Delorme atlas that lists all backroads, because it's gonna suck arse when you're trapped or stuck in a mud pit on the Oregon trail.

6. I didn't know much about storm structure, forecast tools and debriefing conferences. It's a good idea to educate yourself and get your hands on severe weather literature and information. Go to seminars and workshops! Familiarize yourself with model products and forecast tools. Learn from your mistakes. As someone else already posted, it really is a good idea to review bust scenarios and even times when you "blew" it in the field.

7. A fool repeatedly learns from his own mistakes, but a wise chaser learns from the mistakes others have already made!:D

What I learned in the first year of chasing (2005) was "dont go it alone". After running around the first two days on my own and not seeing anything (it was 2005, also) I hooked up with a couple of veteran chasers in Grand Island, NE and we ended the week well, no tornadoes, but 2005 and 2006 werent big producer years for tornadoes.
After chasing in Florida for years, if you want to call it chasing, I wasnt prepared for what the "Big Arena" had in store for me, I still consider myself a rookie, perhaps if I keep that attitude I can learn more and wont think I know more than I do.

Back