What Video Editing Software to Use?

I've always used Adobe Premiere Pro for my video editing software and sucked at it. I updated a year ago to Adobe CS4. I have totally given up on trying to figure out how to work with this software so I'm looking at the other options that are available. I remember a long time ago lots of people were using Pinnacle. Do any of you use that and if so how do you like it? I want something that I can edit HD video in. I don't want intro level software though. I want something that has the potential to make professional looking videos. I need to use the software to prepare clips for my website/youtube also. Any advice or opinions on the subject would be appreciated. thanks

Mikey...just look for some tutorial videos or software, that'll get you rolling on CS4. I personally won't use anything less...until I bit (and can afford) to go to Final Cut. Other than being able to afford CS4 (or CS5 that's coming) I see no need to use lesser products.

I also use Premiere CS4. I had used Premiere 6.5 for years until last year when I finally upgraded. It does have a learning curve and there are a lot of things that have changed. Luckily there are a lot of tutorial videos on Youtube showing how to do different things.
I'm still learning and get stuck sometimes trying to do things. most of the time I can find the answer on youtube.

I use Final Cut Studio. Works great. I know many like Premiere Elements for a quick and dirty editor while in the field.

I have Pinnacle 11 (and have upgraded consistantly since like Pinnacle 6 and will probably upgrade again to the latest version), Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, and Proshow Producer. I still pretty much use Pinnacle exclusively, except I will probably use Premiere for time lapse stuff. Pinnacle is about as simple as it gets....extremely user friendly IMO.

I've tried watching some of the tutorials a while back and didn't get far. I must be retarded or something. I can't even get it to capture video with my new HD camera. It doesn't even recognize the device. I hate to give up on it since it costs so damn much, but god it's brutal to work with.
I used Sony's Vegas software back in like 2004 and it was pretty easy to use. I might just get something like that to get me by until I can get Adobe figured out.
What format do you save video in when you save it to your computer if you plan on importing it back into future projects you do with adobe?

If premiere is a bit overwhelming you should definitely give Vegas Pro a try. It is a great piece of software and is much easier to navigate.

I personally use Premiere CS4 on my home PC but on my laptop (when needed) I use Vegas Pro.

I've tried watching some of the tutorials a while back and didn't get far. I must be retarded or something. I can't even get it to capture video with my new HD camera. It doesn't even recognize the device. I hate to give up on it since it costs so damn much, but god it's brutal to work with.
I used Sony's Vegas software back in like 2004 and it was pretty easy to use. I might just get something like that to get me by until I can get Adobe figured out.
What format do you save video in when you save it to your computer if you plan on importing it back into future projects you do with adobe?

You're not stupid...but I understand your pain. I'm pretty much this way with AutoCAD/Revit which is the major architect software packages used, and even with the online stuff...it's hard as hell to learn.

Yes, Vegas is good, heard many good things about it. Sometime it's just a matter of understanding that things take time to learn.

No one, no matter what software is going to make a film quality production right out of the box. Try simple video shorts. First, just stitch some scenes together and render, then learn to add text, then learn some scene transitions, then learn to crop, etc., etc., etc.

The camera issue however, that can be an issue. I had that issue with my cameras until I got CS4...but sometimes the drivers/adapters just don't exist.

For serious video editing Final Cut Studio is the best combination of value and power. However, 99% of STers aren't editing that sort of a production so I can't really recommend either Final Cut or Avid to peeps here.

However, Vegas and Premiere are both good solid editors (as are their underlings). But editing video requires you knowing what you are shooting format wise to get the best results. I know peeps here aren't pros at editing video, but I'll just add if you want your videos to have some legitimacy, I'd stay away from the fancy screen transitions, text effects and whatnot...that just makes your video look very amateur. Fades, cuts and dissolves are what the business is built on.

what HD camera are you using and what cable does it use? firewire? or usb?

Back