What NWS products do you use while nowcasting/chasing?

One quick note. I've learned the hard way to **never** just read the AFD for the WFO nearest my target. When I photographed the LP supercell tornado near Miami, TX (that was used for Twister), I was on my way home but I paused at the AMA WFO and read the Topeka AFD for S%$# and giggles. The genius forecaster said sometime like "Interesting set-up down south.... with a faint jet streak on visible satellite..... they could be sitting on a keg of dynamite." Needless to say I stuck around and ended up with one of my all time classic chases involving a long-lived, nearly stationary supercell that produced a tornado at sunset. I did not however, read all the AFD's on the Campo, CO day. (%$#@). I was in NE setting up for the following day. Had I read the Pueblo discussion, I would have noticed the forecaster's name (excellent regional forecaster) and his mention of "tornado." I would have likely moved in that direction as a precaution.

The local forecasters know their climatology better than anyone else. So if I'm chasing near DDC, I'm going to read DDC, AMA, ICT, PUB, DEN, GLD, ABQ and maybe OKC and LBF.

Warren

Visible Satellite, Visible Satellite, and Visible Satellite....

All right, and mesoanalysis (link already provided by Rick). I always have this up due to the very handy feature of being notified if a new mesodiscussion or watch has been issued.

And I really find myself using the latest soundings a lot. SkewT's and Hodographs don't lie..... just wish they came out more often.

I feel like this is common sense, but yet we still don't always appreciate it as well as we should. Very truthful words. It's a shame that some WFOs put so little effort into their AFDs.

Not really, the AFDs are also being written towards people in the area who know their climatology better than anyone else too ;) I'd rather they spend more time putting effort into the actual forecast and delivering it to the public than worrying about chasers looking for a little more target insight.

Not really, the AFDs are also being written towards people in the area who know their climatology better than anyone else too ;) I'd rather they spend more time putting effort into the actual forecast and delivering it to the public than worrying about chasers looking for a little more target insight.

I'd assume other WFOs and even people at the SPC read them, though? Maybe someone here could chime in. I would rather have the public be better informed as well, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive :)

A lot of inter-office communications and discussions with SPC happen in the chat rooms and on conference calls.

The local forecasters know their climatology better than anyone else. So if I'm chasing near DDC, I'm going to read DDC, AMA, ICT, PUB, DEN, GLD, ABQ and maybe OKC and LBF.

Warren

Interesting. I've always taken the exact opposite approach and have never used AFDs, because in my experience, the local guys tend to be more subjective than objective when it comes to their own backyards. It seems each NWSFO has its own personality; I can rememeber back in the early 00s OUN was always pessimistic and TUL was optimistic on the same setup. I could guess which office's AFD to read based on what I wanted to hear.

On the other hand, the SPC handles the entire country and therefore has no regional/local bias. I use SWODYs religiously, but have never once in 18 years relied on a local NWSFO AFD.

I wouldn't say SPC is unbiased... When you learn names you'll recognize which ones are good in which parts of the country, and which might not get you too excited when their last name is on a watch box for your area :)

I wouldn't say SPC is unbiased... When you learn names you'll recognize which ones are good in which parts of the country, and which might not get you too excited when their last name is on a watch box for your area :)

As long as they're all getting paid and I'm not, I'll put them above most opinions.

As long as they're all getting paid and I'm not, I'll put them above most opinions.

Funny, since SPC and NWS offices look at the pretty much the exact same thing. Particularly with A2 and subtle differences within (nsharp, etc), but I'm sure you knew that.

I don't read as many AFDs as Warren, but I hit all of them that are in and around wherever we're chasing. On those marginal days where it's "See Text" city on the SPC, the WFOs through their AFDs can provide useful regional insight on subtle influences that are hard to discern for the average Joe like myself. The NWS products mentioned here are organized rather nicely and are easily accessible through my WeatherTap subscription, so I tend to use them quite often.

As far as the SPC forecasters are concerned, I really only have good things to say and that's the long and short of it. From where I sit it seems like a class outfit with the sharpest mesoscale forecasters in the business. They are a very we'll oiled machine IMHO. I like to keep the SPC soundings page open in a separate tab in my browser to watch for later readings (18Z) than the 12Z morning soundings. I saw a post about how important those are here a few years ago and decided to add it to my toolkit.

As others have stated I use the AFDs. As a side note I really like KDDC AFDs - seems like they are the most comprehensive and detailed... do others agree?

Definitely, the DDC AFDs are incredibly comprehensive and helpful, particularly those written by a chaser I believe most of us know of :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back