What do you look for in a Chase Highlight Video?

What is your price LIMIT to spend on a chase DVD?

• Total voters
Speaking of soundtracks, I am curious about something. We have seen that everybody here is obviously very sensitive about copyrights and other people stealing their images. What I am wondering is if those who put soundtracks on their highlight tape/dvd's are using copyrighted music, and if so, are you paying royalties?

Just something to think about.

I obtained written permission years ago from my favorite band, King's X. I use their music exclusively in all my videos. They let me use as much of it as I want for free, with the condition that I give them credit, don't use any outside distribution (such as selling in stores), and free copies of every video.

There are three potential audiences for chase videos: 1.) the relatively small community of active or 'hardcore' chasers, 2.) non-chasers with a moderate interest in severe weather, and 3.) people with little or no interest in weather, but who think tornadoes and storms are kind of cool (the types that watch the National Geographic specials if they aren't busy that evening)

It seems that most chase videos are built for audience #1. Has anyone ever done videos for #2 or #3? #3 would encompass most of the population, I would guess.

My inclination is to design something for #2 and #3 that can still relate to #1. Easier said than done.

If you've ever done a video for these different audiences, in what ways did you do things differently for each one?

I make my videos to suit me, period. I don't think about the audience when I'm putting a video together, I satisfy myself. As for the target audience, IMO that's more of a marketing thing. I market to the casual storm fan (tornado freaks), I guess that would be Dan's #3 catagory.

I like raw footage, the stuff most people get bored with. I'm definitely not a chopper, it kills me to cut out any footage of tornadoes. If the tornado's 14 minutes long, I'm putting 14 minutes of it on my video. I like my videos to reflect the actual event as close as possible, so I don't use music over video. I am, however, very adament about music with credits and intros. My credits are alwaus heavy though, as I try to think of every possible person to thank. My credits take up an entire 4-5 minute song. And for those who have the patience to sit through the credits....well, there just might be something else waiting for them :wink:

Along the same lines as the target audience, how many of you actually try your hand and "real" production? Story Boarding, then putting it all together, with a particular set in mind?

My credits take up an entire 4-5 minute song. And for those who have the patience to sit through the credits....well, there just might be something else waiting for them :wink:

lol! Yep might be...

I love making chasing DVD's but I hate watching them. I don't even watch my own unless there is nothing else to do. I personally would not buy a chase DVD. I have only bought one and it was a great DVD but for some reason film doesn't do much for me. If I did buy another one I would not pay over $20 for it and that includes shipping. I like to keep my own DVD less than $15. I don't care if my DVD was full of tornadoes and awesome structure I personally don't think any DVD is worth more than $15 - $20. I know chasers don't make millions off their DVD's So I can understand charging $20+ for the DVD. The market is not there for it and that's probably good in some way or other but that’s another topic.

Unfortunately I live in Oklahoma and we don't get tornadoes nor good storms here any longer. So I am moving up north so I can give H a run for his money. Lol! You scared H? You should be! I am goanna open a can of Ptak attack. Lol! Just kidding to damn cold up there in the winter for me.

As far as soundtracks go I think a good mix of music and plain raw video is good. That's what I am doing on my next chase DVD. It keeps the viewers attention better IMO.

Mick

Along the same lines as the target audience, how many of you actually try your hand and "real" production? Story Boarding, then putting it all together, with a particular set in mind?

Working on one now and it is a hard task, but I like it.

Mick

My 2004 chase video was my first attempt at putting something together. I tried to get a nice mix of tornadoes, storms, music videos, timelapse, and bloopers. I think I did well in putting it all together, although there was definately room for improvement. I enjoy putting together the highlights and playing around with things. I think I basically will punch out what I like and let everyone else adjust. Not to say I don't target an audience as I think I try to mix it up a bit. And it works out well... this season I was lacking on quality video to make a highlight video, but I'm sure there will be enough to include some goodies and a few bloopers.

Nick G, remember us raiding your hotel room (the Johnny Depp episode in Childress); that'll be on the blooper reel! :lol:

I tried to get a nice mix of tornadoes, storms, music videos, timelapse, and bloopers. I think I did well in putting it all together,

I like a nice mix in DVD's. One thing I enjoyed about Tony's was a variety of weather (tornadoes, hail, flooding, lightning). He also showed other aspects of chasing (looking at data, waiting for initiation, bloopers, chaser convergences, etc).

If you like watching chasers wait for initiation, bloopers, and a general lack of tornado-y goodness, you'll love "Funnel Fiasco's 2005 Chase Lowlights" Coming sometime not-too-soon to a city near you.

There are three potential audiences for chase videos: 1.) the relatively small community of active or 'hardcore' chasers, 2.) non-chasers with a moderate interest in severe weather, and 3.) people with little or no interest in weather, but who think tornadoes and storms are kind of cool (the types that watch the National Geographic specials if they aren't busy that evening)

It seems that most chase videos are built for audience #1. Has anyone ever done videos for #2 or #3? #3 would encompass most of the population, I would guess.

My inclination is to design something for #2 and #3 that can still relate to #1. Easier said than done.

If you've ever done a video for these different audiences, in what ways did you do things differently for each one?

Dan, yeah, I really want my DVD to appeal to non-storm chaser audiences (audience #3) simply because they are the largest audience. I was even thinking of setting up at this one upper-class type of flea-market here in Metro Detroit, that hundreds of thousands go to every month, and setting up a table with my laptop showing a 10MIN preview of the DVD constantly or something. I personally think it would attract alot of people and sell a few copies...

Dan, yeah, I really want my DVD to appeal to non-storm chaser audiences (audience #3) simply because they are the largest audience. I was even thinking of setting up at this one upper-class type of flea-market here in Metro Detroit, that hundreds of thousands go to every month, and setting up a table with my laptop showing a 10MIN preview of the DVD constantly or something. I personally think it would attract alot of people and sell a few copies...

What upper class flea market are you talking about?

Those look nice. If you want to see scum come to the flea markets in OKC hell there is even a bar in one of them. It's call shop and drink here in Oklahoma.

Good luck Nick.

Mick

LOL@upper class flea market! :lol:

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Has anybody made a tape that focuses more on the chase and the chasers than the weather itself? Seems like most vids focus on the weather, but I would like to see something focusing on the chase. You could go about it several different ways. You could do an educational documentary type of thing that serves as a "how to chase" kind of thing. Or you could do a documentary of the culture of chasing and chasers, focusing on the lifestyle (convergances, hotel hijinks, road rage, bad food, etc...) rather than the technology.

Seems like that sort of thing would be more appealing to the non-chasing audience.

Back