What do I need?

Originally posted by Andrew Revering

There is a way to share a GPS between two devices, but it's kind of hairy. I tried doing it with no success. Once you have a port opened like the radar software using the GPS, the other software will not be able to use it. The easiest solution is to get 2 GPS's if you have 2 USB ports. Be sure you have another port available for your internet connection.

Yes Franson GPS Gate is the way to go. Very easy to install and works great. I run Delorme / Earthmate & GRl3 GPS at the same using one external GPS receiver. http://franson.com/gpsgate/

Originally posted by Andrew Revering
A great GPS reciver (no screen) for your laptop is the Holux USB GPS Reciever. You can find this thing on eBay for probably $39 new.

Thats exactly what you need for a laptop. You dont want to buy a $400 GPS with a screen for your laptop if all you need it for is to give you coordinates for mapping or radar software.

Connect that guy up and GRLevelX will plot your position.

Then you need Internet. I'd recommend not using WiFi because you have to keep stopping. In the heat of it, it's nice to have a visual of where you are on the storm or complex which would mean live internet while chasing. Especially up here in the upper midwest where our storms are messier with HP and low cloud. We dont get those sexy LP beasts that you can easily go visual on.

So for that I'd work with your cell phone carrier, get a cable to connect to your cell phone and likely pay something on the order of $15 a month for data.

Thanks for the info. I went out and bought the laptop a few days ago. It has wi-fi capability and i went and bought the cables to use the phone as modem. I have already installed GR3 on it. I guess all I have left to do is buy the GPS. you are right since i will be using solely for chasing I dont really need a screen at all. Would you suggest the mapping software also, or is the streets on GR3 good enough?

What mapping software would you all suggest. I dont really need anything all that fancy. Just need to get from point A to point B without getting lost on a dirt road, or worse, driving into a hailstorm.

Yes Franson GPS Gate is the way to go. Very easy to install and works great. I run Delorme / Earthmate & GRl3 GPS at the same using one external GPS receiver. http://franson.com/gpsgate/
[/b]

I tried the Franson GPS gate and had sucess with using SA 2006 and GR3 at the same time during the 14 day free trial...My question now is this, for the people that use this program, at the end of the trial did you upgrade to the GPS express, or the standard edition?

It sounds like the express would work, and is cheaper, but I wanted to make sure before I bought it.

I didn't see you mention this but a weather radio is a very big help and I think essential. For your laptop map software and a wi-fi card should suffice. I don't have WX-WORX because I don't have allot of $$. However, I find between the computer, cell, and radio you can get a good flow of info that will get you where you want to be.

Searched For Answer, But No Luck

I tried the Franson GPS gate and had sucess with using SA 2006 and GR3 at the same time during the 14 day free trial...My question now is this, for the people that use this program, at the end of the trial did you upgrade to the GPS express, or the standard edition?

It sounds like the express would work, and is cheaper, but I wanted to make sure before I bought it.

I did a search looking at old threads to see if I needed to buy "GPS Gate Standard" or "GPS Gate Express" and could not find a good answer. I want to use GRL3, Delorme, and SN, so I'm thinking I would need the Standard.

Someone care to help?
Thanks

I did a search looking at old threads to see if I needed to buy "GPS Gate Standard" or "GPS Gate Express" and could not find a good answer. I want to use GRL3, Delorme, and SN, so I'm thinking I would need the Standard.

Express only allows 2 applications to access your GPS, so you would need Standard to run the 3 applications you listed.

Back