What brand camera do you use?

What brand camera are you primarily using?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wow, there quite a Canon following. I suppose I should have stipulated still vs. Video.

Sony seem to be the running favorite for Video.

I'll break my list down a bit:

Still- Canon 10D, Olympus E-10 (Digital)
Mamiya ZE, Nikon FG (Film)

Video- Canon Optura 20 and Sony DSR200

Yes, I still use film as a back up to the digital cameras. Yes, I have a Nikon. It was a freebie. Meter doesn't work, so the guy gave it to me. The Mamiya is an old one. It was the last version of 35mm Mamiya made. Darn good camera within it's limits. Another thing about it, the accessories are cheap! No one has these any more and getting good glass for them is pretty good.

I use a Nikon N65 Was thinking about the D70/50 since i have plenty of lenses for Nikon
But i might get a Digital Rebel if i can get one at the price I was offered.

Video I have a Sony D8 TRV260
and a Canon Elura70 MiniDV

Want to get a TRV900

Since everything I own is at least 20 years old, this is entirely "FWLIW!"

I've got several ancient Canon bodies. I went with them because they of the killer T-90 (the Dx2/5D of the day) that happened to come out at the time.

Since Canon screwed everyone over by making the EOS lensmount incompatable with all my old FD lenses, my eventual DSLR will be whatever looks best at the time.

In addition to the T-90, A-1 and AE-1, I also have a Yashica TLR 6x6, Graphic View 4x5 (Fine for lightning, but probably a bit too slow for shooting twisty storms), and a P/S Oly Digicam.

0.02C

-Greg

Well, my still cameras are a Fuji A210 and an HP Photosmart 935 (freebie).
While they do take pretty descent shots I would like to upgrade to a better still camera.
My video cameras are a Sony DCR-TRV510 and a JVC GR-D33U miniDV which is small and very good as a dash mount unit.
As with most of us, there is always room for improvement with our equipment but convincing our better halves that we REALLY do need them is yet another story. :D

Canon all the way for SLR's . . . though I still shoot transparency film (Kodak Ektachrome E100VS), and I neither feel the want nor the need to change that anytime soon.

I own an Elan 7e, which I absolutely love . . . great feel, very intuitive, and the eye control feature is amazing! My primary lenses consist of the 28-105 3.5/4.5 II USM and 50 1.8 MKI (metal mount and better construction than the MKII). I did just recently purchase a Leonardo 4 x5 large format pinhole camera, but I doubt that will be very useful for chasing. :wink:

Jason

I did the research comparing the two. In the end, neither camera's pros or cons outweighed each other for me, so the choice was easy. I already owned Nikon glass and am familar with Nikon camera controls, so I went with the Nikon. Also had to choose between the D70s and the D50. I chose the D50 mainly for price. The only feature on the D70s that I would have really liked was the ability to fire the flash remotely instead of tethered to the camera (or with a second flash unit). My pictures look great so far, but I have yet to use it in a storm situation (bought it last August).

I'm sure in ~3 years when the 14+ MP DSLRs drop below $1K, I will upgrade again.

Originally posted by Jason_Politte
Canon all the way for SLR's . . . though I still shoot transparency film (Kodak Ektachrome E100VS), and I neither feel the want nor the need to change that anytime soon.

Hey Jason, I'm gonna hijack this thread a bit here, but how are you transferring your slides to digital format (I assume you do this at least for some)? I was quite disappointed in the slide scanners I could afford, mostly owing to weak dynamic range, but also frequent colorcast correction that needed to be applied afterwards. The slides I had scanned on a Nikon Coolscan 4000 were generally pretty good, but this was costly to have access to the machine very often. I understand drum scanners are even better, but no labs in town even have one. This was all part of the push for me to switch to digital this year. So far, I'm pretty happy with the switch.

Glen

Originally posted by Glen Romine

Hey Jason, I'm gonna hijack this thread a bit here, but how are you transferring your slides to digital format (I assume you do this at least for some)? I was quite disappointed in the slide scanners I could afford, mostly owing to weak dynamic range, but also frequent colorcast correction that needed to be applied afterwards. The slides I had scanned on a Nikon Coolscan 4000 were generally pretty good, but this was costly to have access to the machine very often. I understand drum scanners are even better, but no labs in town even have one. This was all part of the push for me to switch to digital this year. So far, I'm pretty happy with the switch.

Glen

Hi Glen,

Yes, I do much scanning, and I find that I usually have to do very little work in Photoshop. The main brunt of it is cloning out dust spots, which usually isn't too bad if the slide is cleaned with canned air beforehand. Any other work needed such as levels adjustments or correcting a color cast is quickly achieved in Photoshop.

I'm not sure which scanner you were using, but I've found my Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III gives very good results on par with film scanners that cost two and three times the price. It has a very good dynamic range, produces 400 dpi digital files, and the detail it captures allows me to make sure the scan closely matches the original slide. A google search for the scanner wil yield many favorable reviews for it - here's a couple:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/article...4/jh0204-1.html
http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content...rt_reports.html (scroll down for this one)

The most important reason why I still enjoy shooting slides is that I like having a hard copy of what I shoot. If a file's lost or corrupted, I can merely rescan it . . . no big loss. Good quality, low ISO transparency film also still yields higher resolution than most dslr's are capable of, but I imagine this will be a moot point in the not-so-distant future. Plus, I just love the anticipation of picking up freshly processed E6 from the lab, not really knowing what I have until I start reviewing the results. :)

Back