What Am I Listening To?! Aircraft Weather Radio?!

that is not a common frequency for airport weather info. those would be under "atis" frequencies. For example atis for KJFK is 128.72, that is the normal frequency a pilot approaching the airport would tune to for the latest metar and other airport info.

I really dont know for sure what purpose the station you are picking up has. my best guess is its a long range(old technology also) transmission for incoming oceanic flights...

EDIT:corrected spelling of jfk:p

Originally posted by MClarkson
that is not a common frequency for airport weather info. those would be under \"atis\" frequencies. For example atis for KFJK is 128.72, that is the normal frequency a pilot approaching the airport would tune to for the latest metar and other airport info.

I really dont know for sure what purpose the station you are picking up has. my best guess is its a long range(old technology also) transmission for incoming oceanic flights...

That could be, because it mentioned thunderstorms in Florida, and squalls in the Bahamas, I think. :?

BTW MClarkson...

This station certainly seems to fall under the definition of metar. Why 3.47 mhz? Dunno. :? But it did say "aviation weather", so who knows.

Fascinating stuff. 8)

Part of the reason that the signal is weak where you are in NJ is take off angle of the signal. At HF freqs, the maximum radiated signal can be on a lobe from 10-70 degrees azimuth, depending on the antenna. So, most of the signal may be going right over your head, so to speak.

Another reason may simply be the antenna connected to your reciever. The ideal antenna at 3.5MHz is about 135 feet long for a dipole, and 70 feet for a vertical. Most shortwave recievers make up for this with a nice beefy inductor in the RX circuit to bring the impedance closer to a useable value. This is kind of like tricking the radio into thinking it has a longer antenna. Antenna tuners work on the same principle.

Signals in that frequency range are usaully intended for long range transmission. For instance, a pilot flying out of Miami can get current info on the fly from JFK, so he knows what to expect on the way.

Part of the reason that the signal is weak where you are in NJ is take off angle of the signal. At HF freqs, the maximum radiated signal can be on a lobe from 10-70 degrees azimuth, depending on the antenna. So, most of the signal may be going right over your head, so to speak.

Another reason may simply be the antenna connected to your reciever. The ideal antenna at 3.5MHz is about 135 feet long for a dipole, and 70 feet for a vertical. Most shortwave recievers make up for this with a nice beefy inductor in the RX circuit to bring the impedance closer to a useable value. This is kind of like tricking the radio into thinking it has a longer antenna. Antenna tuners work on the same principle.

Signals in that frequency range are usaully intended for long range transmission. For instance, a pilot flying out of Miami can get current info on the fly from JFK, so he knows what to expect on the way.

While this Grundig radio is cool, I wouldn't mind getting a higher-end shortwave radio at some point. This kind of stuff fascinates the hell out of me. :D You find all sorts of cool stuff on shortwave and the high-FM bands.

8)

From a certified pilot:

With that layout that you described, it looks like an ATIS, HIWAS or AWOS/ASOS recording.

An ATIS, or Automated Terminal Information Service, is a recording by an air traffic controller that provides initial notices to airmen about an airfield,
i.e.
"New York JFK Airport information Bravo, 2056 Zulu, Winds 240 at 10, Visibility 10 miles, Broken 5000, Overcast 12000. Temerature 24. Dew Point 18. Altimeter 2984. Runway 14R and 14L centerline lights out of service. Runway 14R and 14L ILS out of service. VFR Departures advise ground controller of direction of flight. Landing runway 16, departing runway 16. Advise on initial contact you have Bravo."

Breakdown: First comes the station, then the information letter (phonetic alphabet) and time issued. They are usually issued every hour. Next, obvously, winds, and sky conditions. Next is temperature and dew point in Celsius. Then is the barometer in inches of mercury. After that comes various notices to airmen (notams) and directions to smooth operations.

An AWOS (Automated Weather Observing Station) is a computerized weather observation recording.
i.e.
"Sioux Falls, Joe Foss Field. Automated Weather Observation 2020 Zulu. Winds 210 at 10. Visiblity 5 miles. Haze Light Rain. Sky conditions broken 200, scattered 500, overcast 1000. Temperature 32 Celsius. Dewpoint 31 Celsius. Altimeter 2985. Remarks: Density Altitude, 3200 feet."

Breakdown: Same as before, the station that is observing, the time of the observation, winds, visibilty, weather conditions, sky conditions, temperature, dewpoint, altimeter inHg, Remarks is anything programmed into that specific station.

A HIWAS is a recording on a VOR (Very-high-frequency Omnidirectional Range), which is a navigation tool for pilots, that has weather along specified routes. For example, the route from the Sioux Falls FSD VOR to the Redwood Falls, MN RWF VOR is labeled "J14". A report could be expected to say "Moderate turbulence reported from 10000 to 12000 along J14. Also, a Convective SIGMET is in effect for South Dakota and Western Minnesota. Tune to Huron FSS on 122.20 for more information."

Just gives the expected weather along the routes including that VOR. By the way, a Convective SIGMET is the equivalent of a Meso Discussion for us.

Oh-another question: why 3.47 mhz? Is that a common frequency for this kind of broadcast? McClarkson, at the top of this page, doesn't seem to think so. :?

Nuts-I forgot to ask Kyle...

Is the voice you hear on this broadcast similar to the "Mr. Roboto" voice you hear on your standard NOAA weather radio?

:?

Back