weird tornado siren

Dan Cook

EF5
This morning around 3:30, I was woken up by tornado sirens. Weird, considering that it was 30 degrees out and stary, I opened my window and the alert siren sounded weird. It started up like usual, but before the tone got higher, cut to low, then repeated for 5 minutes. It didn't sound like the usual sirens.

Might this have been a fire alert?

This morning around 3:30, I was woken up by tornado sirens. Weird, considering that it was 30 degrees out and stary, I opened my window and the alert siren sounded weird. It started up like usual, but before the tone got higher, cut to low, then repeated for 5 minutes. It didn't sound like the usual sirens.

At least your not the only one! Our tornado sirens have been going off at odd times for the past week... One time was around midnight during this past windstorm, then again last night at 10pm... Then around 2am...

Probably not related to the reason your sirens are going off, but it is kind of wierd...

At least your not the only one! Our tornado sirens have been going off at odd times for the past week... One time was around midnight during this past windstorm, then again last night at 10pm... Then around 2am...

Probably not related to the reason your sirens are going off, but it is kind of wierd...

What's even more odd is that the same tone that happened this morning is the same tone that goes off on monthly tests.

Maybe the operators are chasers trying to relieve their SDS. :wink:

To find out, you can probably call your local city manager or fire chief.

Some 1980s and earlier era systems use radio signals (often a tone on the local VHF fire channel) to set off sirens remotely.

Lightning and other electrical disturbances, even surges, have been known to set sirens off.

Most new systems that are RF controlled use a more complex series of codes or digital language.

I am not an expert... just have seen this happen.

mp

Yes, our sirens are ancient and probably use VHF (it would be neat to have a VHF controller which could set off the siren, though the authorities might not find it so funny LOL). That TV theory is pretty wild, quite a few of us in this are have recently purchased plasma TV's around and very near the siren...

"Think they should be strictly for imminent tornadoes, tests, and nuclear attacks"

So you would not sound them for a 100mph straightline wind, but would for a 60mph minimal tornado? That doesn't make sense to me...

What about a chemical truck that rolls over? Lots of things need warning to people outdoors, and the nuclear attack is likely never going to be one of them!

- Rob

I know here in West Michigan for example in Ottawa County
they will sound the sirens for tornado warnings and sustained
winds of 70 mph or more. They never use to sound the sirens
for winds of 70 mph or more from thunderstorms. After the
May 31, 1998 derecho with winds estimated as high as 130 mph,
help changed the policy, to sound the sirens for winds 70 mph or more.

Mike

"Think they should be strictly for imminent tornadoes, tests, and nuclear attacks"

So you would not sound them for a 100mph straightline wind, but would for a 60mph minimal tornado? That doesn't make sense to me...

What about a chemical truck that rolls over? Lots of things need warning to people outdoors, and the nuclear attack is likely never going to be one of them!

- Rob

IIRC, I remember seeing a SVR warning from Dallas this spring with such an example, telling people to treat the warning as a Tornado warning due to extreme winds.

Does this siren have a square projecting horn that rotates? Some of these have the ability to alternate between a high and low tone (changes about every half second or so). This tone is generally used as a fire signal.

Does this siren have a square projecting horn that rotates? Some of these have the ability to alternate between a high and low tone (changes about every half second or so). This tone is generally used as a fire signal.

No idea. I don't know where the siren's located.

Back