Website ads

We're going to be experimenting with putting a few low-key Google ads on the top to see if it brings us a few more dollars for running the site. I've taken care to make sure that it only uses the existing whitespace and isn't annoying.

Tim

I think everyone is just about adapted to life with Gooooogle ads. Just don't get that freakin' intellitext ad dilly that marks keywords in the forum and links them to sponsors.

It's pretty funny sometimes how Google's meta sensors or whatever it uses to detect the language in these rooms will single out what it thinks is the most important subject to the users ... when I clicked on the Texas dryline thread a minute ago, for example, the google ad was for seed and fertilizer stuff in Texas. Sometimes they can get pretty funny depending on the subject matter of the thread -

What is this NASCAR? LOL

I guess if it helps pay the bills, I don't see anyone clicking on them though.

NASCAR deals with a bunch of things moving in a generally counterclockwise fashion - seems to fit fairly well with this forum LOL

I haven't even noticed an ad yet except for the usual ones, but I'm sure if something interesting pops up they'll get a click or two.

Pat

They look fine to me. I'm seeing a lot of public service ads though, makes me think everything is not setup properly.

Public service ads and oddball hits are normal for a new Adsense setup... the keywords should start stabilizing by Thursday.

Maybe we'll see a TRADD ad!

Tim

Google ads work pretty well. They can usually pay for your hosting if you get enough traffic.

You can blacklist certain advertisers from appearing by adding their domain name(s) to the filter list in the ad control panel.

Good idea, Tim. I know of someone who has added them to a non-profit website that gets a lot of traffic. It seems to work well for him. From what I’ve read, Adsense give you quite a bit of flexibility in determining what will show up.

One time on a chaser’s Geocities site I saw a bunch of ads for funnels- from industrial supply companies!

The one thing you have to be careful of is not to purposefully click on ads just to drive up the hit counts. Google is very intolerant of this and has been known to shut down accounts where they suspect this may have happened, even if it was just a few clicks from a single IP from a third party. Even if the web site owner was innocent and unaware. And when you get shut down, it is nearly impossible to get back in.

There are many first-hand accounts on the web where someone thought they'd help a site out by giving it some extra click-throughs and ended up getting the site blacklisted from Adsense.

Google even discourages webmasters from testing their ads at all because this will trigger a 'click fraud' flag.

Back