Weather radios

I only have one weather radio, a portable one by god only knows who with RadioShack branding. Between SAME and the ability to select which alerts set it off, I've been pretty happy with it. My previous radio was not programmable and would go off for Amber Alerts 200 miles away.

With regards to your question, Scott, mine certainly gets me up. When I leave it on at home, it's set for tornado watch/warn and hurricane watch/warn only, and the volume is set to rival the fire alarm.

Thanks for the clarification Mike, I didn't realize that wx radios these days had such features. The last wx radio I had was probably in the mid-90s, and it had a switch to turn it on and off, one button to test it, one button to stop the alarm when it was going off, and one button to turn on the radio. People will definitely take notice if they set it to go off for tornado warnings only.

I'm surprised so many chasers have been in the dark and didn't realize NOAA wx radios could be programmed with SAME codes! If that's the case, then most of the public probably doesn't know, either. This is a huge selling point that needs to be taken into consideration.

As far as hitting "snooze" on these when they go off...that is a concern. The model I have is pretty neat though. I have the Reecom 1630. Not only does it turn the audio of the broadcast on automatically after the tone alert...but it actually turns it off after the message is done! This is done by decoding the End of Message (EOM) tones (the 3 fast bursts you hear). Believe it or not, most weather radios do not do this - I specifically got this model because it had this feature. All of them should have it as an option.

This is neat because you don't have to get out of bed or worry about having to shut it off. The user doesn't have to do anything...just wake up, listen...and take action if needed.

Scott, there might be some friction with this, but what I'm looking for in the wx radio models we will distribute is that they can be programmed to only go off for tornado warnings, and preferably that can be made a default setting. Amber alerts, test messages, svr warnings for 60 mph winds, etc lead to complacency with radio owners and for me, resulted in switching the radio off. If NWR's alerts were only set off for tornado warnings, like you said, people will definitely take notice.

Regarding homeowners' responsibility to protect themselves, I am going to have to make the seatbelt analogy. Use of seatbelts is required by law in 30 states. These laws were enacted to save lives. Everyone knows that they are safer on the road when they wear seatbelts, yet some people choose not to. Without trying to make this a political debate, sometimes legislation is required to keep people safe. Where is the harm in that? The thing that is different about weather radios is that if someone decides not to wear their seatbelt, only they will be hurt (well, also the health care system to an extent), but if the head of a household decides not to use a weather radio, they are putting their entire family at risk.

The 3-5% of households using weather radios is something I'm having a hard time rationalizing. I have a couple plausible explanations for the percentage being so low but I would like to hear others' ideas on why more of the public does not use them.

Regarding homeowners' responsibility to protect themselves, I am going to have to make the seatbelt analogy. Use of seatbelts is required by law in 30 states. These laws were enacted to save lives. Everyone knows that they are safer on the road when they wear seatbelts, yet some people choose not to. Without trying to make this a political debate, sometimes legislation is required to keep people safe. Where is the harm in that? The thing that is different about weather radios is that if someone decides not to wear their seatbelt, only they will be hurt (well, also the health care system to an extent), but if the head of a household decides not to use a weather radio, they are putting their entire family at risk.

I don't think seatbelt use is a very good comparison if you're trying to convince someone weather radio installation should be mandatory or that its worth the cost for the taxpayer to have the government help fund it. The odds of being in an automobile accident are 1 in 3; the odds of being affected by a tornado are astronomical. Chuck Doswell wrote that the odds of being affected by a violent tornado (associated with highest death rad) during any given year is 1 in 10,000,000. The chance that any one household east of the Rockies will be affected by a tornado is extremely small, the odds of anyone from that household being in an automobile accident are extremely high - hence why seatbelts are law. We're talking about thousands of fatalities on the road vs. a few to a few dozen fatalities from tornadoes.

Then comes the FAR. How many people are going to simply turn off their weather radios when, after dozens of alarms, nothing happens? You might be able to convince people they need them, but what good are they if no one is using them?

I'm not against your idea, but I think a more in-depth study needs to be done concerning the best way to disseminate warning information. Is it weather radios? Reverse 911? TV & Radio? What do we do about the areas of Northern Minnesota, Western Dakotas, and other parts of the plains that may not have a strong or reliable NWR signal?

If a more in-depth study is conducted and it is determined that weather radio is the best way to disseminate warnings, I'll jump on board.

I've been using weather radios for more than 30 years. All of them have been from Radio Shack. The first one I owned was a little blue weather radio that not only tuned in weather, but you could also hear police and sometimes marine phone calls! It had two little dials-one for volume, and one for tuning. I wish I still had it. :(

My current one is a yellow Radio Shack Sports Weather Radio Alert-7 Channel. I bought this roughly 10 years ago-it's been long since discontinued. It has an alarm, and uses 3 triple-A batteries. I always use Duracell.

Most in my family have them because I bought them all one for christmas one year. I also programmed them with SAME codes and to only go off for T-storm warnings and tornado warnings.

Funny though, I never turn mine on. My dog lets me know when there is a storm 2 counties away. Nothing like having a 65 lb. lab/gsd standing over you in bed letting you know there are storms coming! She isn't afraid of storms. She just has learned that I always get out of bed for them so she is now my advanced warning system.:D

In speech class in college I was assigned to a debate and had to pick if I was going to be for or against mandatory seat belt usage. I decided to debate that it was a good thing to require by law that people wear seat belts. During the debate I gave a ton of facts that proved wearing seat belts was safer, and.... cheaper on society. The guy I was debating gave no facts but just gave very simple arguements on the dangers of giving up your freedoms and how it will lead to more and more regulations that complicate and burden your life. I not only lost the debate, but he persuaded me.

There is so much could be said about this, but I personally try to not mess in others peoples lives, and I don't want others messing in mine. It's not mean or uncaring, it's just a freedom thing. There's nothing wrong with being a good neighbor and telling someone "hey buddy... you live in that mobile home, you should have a weather radio." Heck, by him one if he is not opposed to it, but don't make it mandatory that he have one against his will. That is wrong.

Establishing an organization to educate people on the usage of weather radios and what is available is great... I for example, find myself talking to people on the importance of eating right and good health because that is important to me... just like it is evidently important to some to stress the safety of having a weather radio. But I would never work to enforce or encourage laws that would mandate what people eat.

I don't think seatbelt use is a very good comparison if you're trying to convince someone weather radio installation should be mandatory or that its worth the cost for the taxpayer to have the government help fund it. The odds of being in an automobile accident are 1 in 3; the odds of being affected by a tornado are astronomical. Chuck Doswell wrote that the odds of being affected by a violent tornado (associated with highest death rad) during any given year is 1 in 10,000,000. The chance that any one household east of the Rockies will be affected by a tornado is extremely small, the odds of anyone from that household being in an automobile accident are extremely high - hence why seatbelts are law. We're talking about thousands of fatalities on the road vs. a few to a few dozen fatalities from tornadoes.

Then comes the FAR. How many people are going to simply turn off their weather radios when, after dozens of alarms, nothing happens? You might be able to convince people they need them, but what good are they if no one is using them?

I'm not against your idea, but I think a more in-depth study needs to be done concerning the best way to disseminate warning information. Is it weather radios? Reverse 911? TV & Radio? What do we do about the areas of Northern Minnesota, Western Dakotas, and other parts of the plains that may not have a strong or reliable NWR signal?

If a more in-depth study is conducted and it is determined that weather radio is the best way to disseminate warnings, I'll jump on board.

I'm not for legislation to make it necessary to have a weather radio in every home in America, just mobile homes east of the Rockies. Multiple studies have found that persons living in mobile homes are about ten times more likely to die in a tornado than those who live in permanent dwellings.

Doing some more research, I found that the Indiana law (named CJ's law, after a two year old who was killed by a tornado in a mobile home in Evansville, IN) was taken to the Federal level but never made it to the Senate floor. Why? Largely because of lobbying done by the Manufactured Housing Institute, which is a collection of individuals whose financial interests revolve around mobile homes (the developers who would be responsible for paying for the weather radios). A press release from the MHI said, "While we believe the Senate legislation, S.2724, is well intended, it does not help the vast majority of people who may be in harm’s way and is an ineffective approach to consumer safety. As witnessed, with this winter’s recent tornados [sp], severe weather does not distinguish between buildings - residential or commercial, college dormitories, site built or manufactured homes. Everyone in potential danger from severe weather...deserves to be alerted." In other words, 'it's just not fair'.

You raise a valid point about the relatively limited number of people impacted by tornadoes, but for that small percentage of communities devastated by violent tornadoes each year, a $30 weather radio in each home would be absolutely invaluable.

As far as the false alarm rate goes, warning complacency is something that I'm hoping to mitigate by having the radios programmed by default to only go off for tornado warnings. As opposed to svr warnings and flash flood warnings, tornado warnings are always a call to action. Even if the house is unaffected, which the majority of the time it will be, people understand that there is an immediate threat in the vicinity and hopefully will still choose to be aware of these threats. We can't make the people take shelter, but we can do a better job of making sure they get the warning.

Public education, I'm realizing more and more, will be a big part of Weather Radios Across America. I've been shocked at the percentage of people I have talked to about weather radios who had no idea such a device existed. And for those who know about weather radios, not many knew about the SAME (Specific Area Message Encoding) technology, which is a major selling point. I would like to hear your opinions on why so many people are uninformed about weather radios. Not only why, but what can be done to fix it? Thanks to everyone for the valuable input.

I have 2 weather radios and only use them for chasing or fishing trips. The more recent model may be programmable but since I have no desire to use it at home I never checked. When I’m awake and severe stuff is happening I’m usually monitoring things online; when I’m sleeping I’d rather not be bothered and will take my chances. Since I live in a recently built house in an area that rarely experiences violent tornadoes I’ll chance the risk rather than interrupt my sleep; if however I lived in a mobile home on the plains my attitude on weather radio usage would most definitely be different but I wouldn’t want anyone dictating to me that I must possess one. I agree with Joshua, leave me the freedom to decide.

While I’m opposed to your legislative idea Chad I do think your cause is noble. Weather radios in all mobile homes would most likely reduce tornado fatalities. But like you I see problems in how to finance the endeavor. The charity idea may be plausible to an extent but personally I’d rather donate to something that I know will be useful rather than for something that may not be used and for the most part is affordable. Manufacturers can donate or sell at cost but aren’t they in the business of making a profit? The radio itself is for the benefit of the public but the manufacturing of it is done for the benefit of the manufacturer. Should we offer a government subsidy for those in need? Well we did subsidize digital TV converters so it’s possible...but to comment personally on that might be to dance on the floor of politics so I’ll refrain.

Perhaps the most plausible effort to increase use is through better public awareness but I’m curious if the main reason for such low usage is due to ignorance or choice. Ultimately let’s do what we can to improve the condition of the former and let stand the freedom to exercise the latter.

Currently I have a portable scanner with a WX band on it..and has a alarm if in stand by mode. I dont really use it alot though since anytime severe wx is around I am usually on the computer with radar and aware of warnings. Now back in 80s I had a portable and base unit..The base had a blaring alarm..I lived by weather radios back then..It was great. Now for the general public these can be a great thing during severe WX season or even anytime.

Back