waterspouts

does anyone know if a waterspout has ever moved onshore and directly affected a great lakes city like chicago milwaukee detriot cleveland or so on? i know that happens down south in the gulf i just havent heard of it happening up in the great lakes? does anyone know if this happening or where i can find out? thanks in advance

They've done some damage north of Toledo (Monroe County MI) but it's never been anything more than an awning or knocking some chairs around. They simply can't survive off the water long enough to go far inland, and even in their peak over water winds aren't usually more than 40-50mph.

They've done some damage north of Toledo (Monroe County MI) but it's never been anything more than an awning or knocking some chairs around. They simply can't survive off the water long enough to go far inland, and even in their peak over water winds aren't usually more than 40-50mph.
[/b]

hmmm ic, i have seen a couple over lake michigan a looooong time ago and i was just wondering if they actually moved onshore.........What makes the florida waterspouts so "powerful" if the winds up here dont exceed 5o mph, why do the ones in florida approach 115 mph?? warm water? better conditions?

Back