Wanted: radar for vehical

I have been storm chasing for 6 years now and I have been communicating with other people via telephone in order to get good position on storms. I'm looking to puchase some kind of portable radar for my vehical and I have no clue on where to begin or puchase one. Currenty, I have a Compaq laptop, with all the extra gadgets, and my cell is a Motorola V557 with USB compatible.

I just have no clue on where to begin or what to puchase and where to puchase. If anyone has and ideals or equipment that they would sell, just let me know... THanks

Whoa there. You don't need portable radar for your vehicle, you need radar information. There are a few chasers out there running around with marine radar equipment and likely breaking a few laws while doing so. Use of this equipment in this manner can interfere with official radar systems admidst other problems. Besides, the information gleaned from these systems is rarely of any practical use for chasing.

What you really need (and perhaps meant to say anyways) is a way to get the nexrad radar information into your vehicle. You came to the right place to read up on this, do some searching around here and you'll find a wealth of info on how to do it. Rather than regurgitate all the info here, I'll just mention that the two most popular ways to do this are:

1. Use an internet connection (via your cell phone or wifi) and a suitable radar program (GRlevel3, SwiftWX etc.) and watch the radar in your car.

2. Purchase an XM satellite weather based system. These use a dedicated receiver and specialized software to present the info your your laptop screen or device. Expensive but offers the widest coverage.

Some dilligent searching in the forums here will give you the info you need.

My bad in not explaining a little more of what I'am looking for. I was talking about something like the Threat net system. What do you need besides the laptop in order to run it. I really dont need all the extra stuff and was looking for something a little cheaper, and if there was anyway to use my cell phone for this...

My bad in not explaining a little more of what I'am looking for. I was talking about something like the Threat net system. What do you need besides the laptop in order to run it. I really dont need all the extra stuff and was looking for something a little cheaper, and if there was anyway to use my cell phone for this...
[/b]

No offence Brandon, but this subject has been done to death. Have a good look around and you'll see what you need. Here's a link for the wxworx site if you don't already have it: WxWorx

Back