Video evidence refutes claims of Kansas storm chaser problems

I tend to agree that some cops abuse their power when enforcing traffic laws, but some chasers certainly don't help matters by engaging in borderline or fully illegal behavior, or by being douchebags about it during or after the fact. My biggest peeve is: why do so many chasers think they have the legal right to simply stop with their vehicle still halfway in the traffic lane just because there is no shoulder or insufficient room to get the vehicle all the way off the road? That's not the way it's supposed to work. If there's not enough room to get all the way out of the driving lane, don't stop there! Instead proceed down the road to the first location where you CAN get all the way off the road. You don't have the right to redefine traffic laws at your convenience just so you can get the same shot that 20 other people will end up getting. There are very few areas in chaser alley where you're not within a few hundred yards of a safe place to pull well off the road. Yet on every chase, including this year, I encounter people doing exactly that. That's the kind of behavior that is guaranteed to draw ire from LEOs everywhere, not just those in Kansas.

Very well stated Jeff. Also important to note that those rules don't stop existing on non-paved roads! I've had some pretty gnarly experiences on gravel.

Definitely, Jeff. Medicine Lodge is a good example of crappy roads for this year, but there are similar situations EVERY season. Bad roads and muddy, unusable shoulders are common, and the usable turnoffs are frequently already full of chasers. Nobody likes to drive away from a good photo, but stopping on the roadway is extremely poor practice and not only draws the ire of LEO, but of fellow chasers, too.

I cannot agree with Jeff more. If you, for some reason, cannot find a place to stop at least pull off onto a side road to park half in a lane.

Most places, especially down in Texas, you can easily just pull way off into the grass on the right-of-way. Even in my car I can do it, so you can too.

Looking at this video again - it appears to me that there is plenty of grass there, but even plenty of "side gravel" that negates the need to keep your front end in the roadway.

Back