Video Editing Software

I am looking to upgrade my software for video editing and learn how to get better at actual editing with it.

What software do you use or would you recommend? Price is not a concern.

Thanks in advance.

WINDOWS: If you have a powerful desktop, then Adobe Premiere Pro CC would be my number one choice. The only downside to Adobe Premiere is that it requires a lot of resources. If you are looking to edit video on your laptop, then my choice would be Cyberlink PowerDirector. PowerDirector is simple to use and runs great on my laptop (i7, 8gb RAM, integrated graphics). It's great for quick editing in your car.

MAC: I don't use a mac, but I know a lot of Mac guys love Final Cut Pro.

LINUX: Lightworks is my favorite for Linux. Like Adobe Premiere, it's feature packed (which also means it's complicated). It runs faster than Adobe Premiere though (probably because it's running on Linux), and while it's still in Beta, it's also free.

I haven't used a Mac for video editing since high school, but if Final Cut Pro has kept up with the times (which I would imagine it has) it was always a very good editing software and, surprisingly, it was relatively easy to learn on.

I'll have to check out Lightworks as I run Linux most of the time. Thanks for the tip on that @ScottCurry!

On my video editing laptop that I use on the road, I use Sony Movie Studio 13. (It's basically Sony Vegas Lite). It's a beefy laptop, but still a laptop, and Sony runs well on it. (Laptop is Lenovo ThinkPad W540 with core i7 quad core, 32GB ram, dual SSD's and nVidia Quadro K2200m graphics)

Adobe Premier is a great product, but as mentioned above, is a resource hog.

You'll like it James.

There are few limitations you should know about though.
  1. Some of the effects (such as the more complicated particle effects) are disabled if you use an integrated graphics card.
  2. The subtitles are limited to one per second. Not a big deal, but I've used them in some of my dash cam videos to show location, speed, date, and time. With the subtitles only updating once per second, sometimes my speed seems to jump rather drastically instead of being a smooth transition.
  3. Audio Director files (audio only) longer than 45 minutes tend to crash. Power Director files (video) longer than 25 minutes tend to crash. You can avoid this by adding more than 8GB of RAM. You can also edit your video in sections (like 20 minute sections) in separate files, and then bring them together in one file.
Again, I use it for quick editing of short (less than 25 minute) videos in my car. For larger projects, I use Lightworks or Adobe Premiere.

I also have the CyberLink PowerDirector software (version 10 since I bought it several years ago). Very good software for the price. I'm not looking to become a professional videographer/producer or anything, so I'm not going to spend $500 on higher-end software. If you're just looking to learn and willing to drop $100 on it, it's great for that.

I use Windows Movie Maker. It does the job but it's not "Spielberg" quality. For editing video to upload to YouTube, it's not the best but it certainly is not the worst.

Back