"Veteran takes storm chasers to task at ChaserCon for reckless behavior"

Nobody is asking for my opinion on this, but I don't care because here it comes anyway....

The issue has been, is, and always will be the fact chasing is so easy now. Anyone can find the storm/tornado. But not all of them know what to do with it. It's like putting a rookie driver in a top-notch ride at Daytona. They'll be fast, and might out run everyone....but they don't know how to race in a crowd. Disaster inevitably ensues. See any of the hundreds (or thousands?) of exhaustingly-annoying youtube clips of screaming chasers being hit by debris. (Aside - someone mentioned saturation, and I agree, there's nothing any more interesting about debris hitting a car than a tornado from 2 miles away these days).

To a greater degree, a lot of these newer chasers don't understand the subtle differences of various types of setups. It was painfully obvious on May 31 last year that any storm that could develop and sustain itself was going to be a monster of (quite likely) unusual (if not rare) proportions. Any chaser worth their salt understands there are days when you just chase, and then there are days when you stay out of the way. The atmosphere is complex and mysterious, but it isn't completely cryptic, for those who can see the data and read the signs. El Reno was not a day to go gleefully tip-toeing into the tulips with a camcorder. Yet several did. And of all the dozens of videos I've seen from that day, what bothered me wasn't that people were in the situations they were in. It was the fact that many of them seemed surprised by it, caught off-guard.

Perhaps the art of forecasting and being able to find a spot where a supercell will form (before it forms and without radar) is lost, to the point where it's not even considered an attribute worthy of note. But the art of knowing how to deal with a tornadic supercell/tornado at close range/in real time is even more lost, on many who scoff at the former. But I'm the kind of person who isn't that interested in other people's stupidity, beyond a good conversation. I don't have the time, energy, or interest to police these people. And you can't police it anyway.

I'll always have an opinion about this topic, and all goings-on in the chasing world. That's partly why The Debris Show was created years ago. I don't believe anyone can physically do anything about wreckless behavior or anything else that brings negativity to the activity of chasing storms, but I do believe that talking about it will (at the very least) piss some people off, and as long as people are pissed, they will vent, and that venting keeps the message going. If I have to be the uncool, bitter, angry old has-been to keep the topic in people's heads, so be it. I'm good in that role.

Do whatever you want. Most of you are adults and are free to act as you choose (beyond stepping on others' civil rights of course, yada yada). But the more notoriety you seek, expect more criticism. This isn't an "all take, no give" kinda planet. I can live with the extreme screamers and their "we chase to save lives, we're not cool we're nerds, we aren't trying to be famous" while being everywhere on the internet constantly chasing style. But don't whine when someone calls you out. That's the price of fame, and what is it they say? "If people are taking sh*t, you must be doing something right?"

Remember that the next time someone takes a shot at you, and you feel that urge to bite back.

To a greater degree, a lot of these newer chasers don't understand the subtle differences of various types of setups. It was painfully obvious on May 31 last year that any storm that could develop and sustain itself was going to be a monster of (quite likely) unusual (if not rare) proportions. Any chaser worth their salt understands there are days when you just chase, and then there are days when you stay out of the way. The atmosphere is complex and mysterious, but it isn't completely cryptic, for those who can see the data and read the signs. El Reno was not a day to go gleefully tip-toeing into the tulips with a camcorder. Yet several did. And of all the dozens of videos I've seen from that day, what bothered me wasn't that people were in the situations they were in. It was the fact that many of them seemed surprised by it, caught off-guard.

I don't know why this bugs me so much. There were plenty of experienced chasers like Doswell himself that almost got into trouble this day. I don't understand how you have an HP storm with EHI pegged and that extreme instability, and you don't treat it more seriously. I'm not criticizing Doswell, or Dan Robinson, or anyone else at El Reno because I do the same thing sometimes. I think it might be a problem, though. Collectively, there seems to be a waning degree of respect for storms, probably because with every successful chase you've "won" a victory over the storm and didn't die and people had been chasing storms for 60 years without issue. People have gone from seeing one violent tornado every few years to seeing several in a year, so maybe it has lost the awe-inducing factor?

edit: for the record, I was set on core punching the Wayne, NE cell and coming out of the precip into the bear's cage in town. You know, the part that got leveled by a wedge. I almost didn't make the gut check that caused me to err on the side of safety. I easily could have been the 4th chaser to die.

I agree, but is there really no limit? Doesn't oversaturation eventually set in, where there's really no more room to 'up the ante'? I think the more people drive through tornadoes or whatever, the less interest it will gather, just as in photography, shots that were considered super impressive 20 years ago now are barely given a second look. So how do you up the ante of driving through an EF-5? There's not likely to be an EF-6 any time soon, so what do you do, ride through one on a bicycle with a gopro attached to your head? Is the footage from that really gonna garner any more attention? I don't know--they're rhetorical questions, but I like to think maybe the trends will reverse once people get sick of seeing videos of debris bombarding the camera (assuming they do tire of it...)

I'm not sure it will ever be saturated to the point where the media won't run with a story of a chaser who got too close, or is crazy enough to drive into one and capture it on video. Since there is a pretty large break between storm seasons there's enough time to keep it fresh from year to year. Everyone posts their chase video to YouTube in hopes it will go viral (if this weren't the case then why post it?), and it's just another source for the media to pick up on. And we live in an age now where everyone is connected with whatever is happening in the world in an instant, and the chaser who posts pics or video first or gets the closest, wins the chaser of the day prize and gets to be on TV or whatever, then do interviews for the next six months talking about it. So the incentive will always be there to get closer, crazier, and more dramatic.

It would be hypocritical though for me to call out anyone on how they chase. I chase a certain way that is less dangerous because in my photography flying debris up close doesn't make for a beautiful photo (to me), so I'm always a ways back. Hell, someone could be critical of how I chase and I could be a mile away. At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter what anyone says or who calls who out, my reasons for being out there are my reasons, and yours are yours. If you are endangering others or breaking laws you don't need to be called out, you need to be reported to the authorities.

At the core, we all love storms and the feeling of being a part of something bigger. We love being out on the open prairie with nothing else around, we all see the beauty of a supercell the same way an art aficionado looks at a painting. When you branch out from that though, it is the next level of why you are out there, and where everyone's reasons differ. The deeper question is do we care a lot about the people who are endangering themselves, or are we more concerned about protecting the hobby of storm chasing in general?

The deeper question is do we care a lot about the people who are endangering themselves, or are we more concerned about protecting the hobby of storm chasing in general?

I personally don't care what the public's perception of chasing is or feel the need to improve the integrity of the hobby/community. I just don't want an army of little Reed Timmers crashing into me, blocking roads, and forcing me off the road when I'm just trying to enjoy a storm. If you haven't chased KS/OK lately - we're getting to that point.

For me its a yes and a no.

I do think its important as chasers to obey laws, and make sure we are doing the right things when we chase. I get that. I try to be safe, I try to follow laws and rules of the road.

But lets not forget that we are all adults. I cant go blame NASCAR when I get a speeding ticket. I make choices and those choices have consequences, good and bad.

Do the right thing and worry about yourself....the rest is out of your hands

For me its a yes and a no.

I do think its important as chasers to obey laws, and make sure we are doing the right things when we chase. I get that. I try to be safe, I try to follow laws and rules of the road.

But lets not forget that we are all adults. I cant go blame NASCAR when I get a speeding ticket. I make choices and those choices have consequences, good and bad.

Do the right thing and worry about yourself....the rest is out of your hands

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it, too.

One of the big differences often overlooked between storm chasing and other thrill-seeking activities is that storm chasing often endangers innocent people who have no connection with or interest in the activity. If you are base jumping, skydiving, snowboarding, skiing, etc., 99% of the time it's your own ass if you screw up. This is not always true with storm chasing because participants are engaged in a public arena. If you are injured while chasing, rescuers may need to respond through the same hazardous weather. Careless driving may kill someone or an accident may block an escape route for others. I think it's easy to focus on what may happen to chasers when they screw up.... but all hell is going to break lose when stupid chasing leads to the death(s) of innocent people.

Warren

One of the big differences often overlooked between storm chasing and other thrill-seeking activities is that storm chasing often endangers innocent people who have no connection with or interest in the activity. If you are base jumping, skydiving, snowboarding, skiing, etc., 99% of the time it's your own ass if you screw up. This is not always true with storm chasing because participants are engaged in a public arena. If you are injured while chasing, rescuers may need to respond through the same hazardous weather. Careless driving may kill someone or an accident may block an escape route for others. I think it's easy to focus on what may happen to chasers when they screw up.... but all hell is going to break lose when stupid chasing leads to the death(s) of innocent people.

true Warren but thats not the main issue. Innocent people are rarely in the mix. The challenge is chaser convergence etc.

two different groups and I think too much responsibility is given to chasers who "cause" others to join in the fun

true Warren but thats not the main issue. Innocent people are rarely in the mix. The challenge is chaser convergence etc.

two different groups and I think too much responsibility is given to chasers who "cause" others to join in the fun

The issue is what will happen when some chasers cause an accident involving some "innocent" person. Careless driving is my biggest worry. Some chaser in a hurry or someone not paying attention to the road can cause a real problem. It's not my business to comment on how close someone gets to a tornado or what kind of videos they record, and I frankly don't care because everyone has their own thing, but I do worry about the driving. Bad driving can easily affect any one of us, and I've seen it too many times where people simply aren't paying attention or they are driving recklessly. That type of behavior is what should really be frowned upon just because it can involve other people on the road. If you follow some simple etiquette and don't put others in danger then chase with whatever style that you enjoy, be it close, far whatever works for you.

Warren

I can agree with this statement to a point. Like ericjkelly said, often the issue is chaser convergence. However, that is not always the case and I think chasers do need to keep those not part of the chase in mind when traveling into congested areas. I found last year that this was not always the case, and I will not allow myself to put someone else in harm's way because of the choices I make.

Perhaps the art of forecasting and being able to find a spot where a supercell will form (before it forms and without radar) is lost, to the point where it's not even considered an attribute worthy of note. But the art of knowing how to deal with a tornadic supercell/tornado at close range/in real time is even more lost, on many who scoff at the former. But I'm the kind of person who isn't that interested in other people's stupidity, beyond a good conversation. I don't have the time, energy, or interest to police these people. And you can't police it anyway.

I don't think the art of forecasting is lost in general among chasers. Few days are as clear cut with a virtual bullseye as El Reno was; and even on those days, the public forecasts do not narrow it down enough to avoid having to do some analysis. One cannot expect much success without being able to forecast. Witness the number of experienced chasers (myself included) that ended up too far in southwestern OK and missed Moore on 5/20/13.

However, when it comes to inexperienced locals running out after storms in their backyard, I agree there is no need or appreciation for forecasting. But those folks never "needed" to forecast; the difference now is the availability/accessibility of radar and other nowcasting information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
Warren made the original point but I am going to reiterate it because it seems that too many "chasers" don't appear to understand or care. As a first responder (34 years and counting as a paramedic / firefighter) if you (as a chaser) think that your actions only effect you, you are sadly mistaken. True, you may be the only one that gets seriously injured or killed because of your actions but there will be many others that have to respond to the numerous 911 and calls for help that will invariably be made. At a minimum there will be 1 fire truck with 4 firefighters, 1 ambulance with 2 EMS personal and 2 - 3 LEOs with 3 officers. Your actions have now included at least 8-9 people that will risk their lives for your actions to provide you with whatever care you may require. In addition, if there is damage caused by the storm / tornado to the local community, your actions will seriously deplete the resources needed to serve the damaged area even to the point that there may not be anyone to respond to your incident (I'm not calling it an accident because that implies you had no control over what happened). We as chasers need to stop the "its all about me" attitude and consider how our actions outside of our little world can and will impact and put others at risk because of poor decisions we make. I'm not saying don't chase, but recognize that the decisions you make WILL involve many others and place them at risk.

If you climb a mountain and get lost or stuck, you'll get air support which alone costs more and risks more than anything a chaser ever does... People kayak in flooded rivers which endangers rescuers far more than them driving a fire truck to an accident.

rdale.....as usual for you, you don't have a clue except to stir brown stuff. It's not about driving to the scene, its the limited resources that have to be utilized to serve the one for their poor decision making process.

If you climb a mountain and get lost or stuck, you'll get air support which alone costs more and risks more than anything a chaser ever does... People kayak in flooded rivers which endangers rescuers far more than them driving a fire truck to an accident.

These sporting activities are not occurring on public roads were laws prevent specific activities and private individuals not engaged in the same activities are put at risk by reckless behavior.

W.

Back