Vehicles with features that are getting harder to find.

That's what happens when they put 4L60E transmissions into something that honestly should be on a 3/4 ton chassis and have a 4L80E. I had to drive a few in the military and they drove like absolute crap in higher winds though. That, and the abysmal fuel mileage, would keep me from using one as a chase vehicle.

The fuel mileage is pretty bad, but I think the huge fuel tank helps to offset that. We travel quite a ways before filling up. I hadn't considered the high profile in strong winds though, which from a safety standpoint is more of a deal breaker than anything.

I had a Suburban with a 42 gallon tank, so I know about huge fuel tanks. It definitely took a chunk from the wallet to fill from empty, so I very seldomly ran it down that far. But yes, those vans have a significantly higher center of gravity than even a Suburban or Excursion, and I believe my early 90s Burb had a wider stance as well. The vans we used in the military had fairly narrow tires as well compared to what my Burb had.

Back