Vehicle Equipment

Andrew-

Good list, but why the ham equipment for firefighters...or did you add that before submission to the board?

I fully recommend an equipment console or rack for anyone that has more than 1 piece of communications equipment in their vehicle. The first chase vehicle I saw that had a purpose-built rack was in WF's "Shadow Chaser" that he built in the early 90's. I was impressed with it, even though the owner isn't all that popular :roll:

Even if you soley an "appliance operator" amateur radio licensee that has a couple of mono/dual-band ham rigs, the console comes in very handy for organization, and things like mic holders and map lights.

The consoles made by the companies that Andrew posted links to are not just for the cops...they are in use by utilities, wrecker companies, fire/ems and groups like the Red Cross and Salvation Army in their disaster response vehicles. They are tools for anyone to use.

As always, an interesting topic.

Consoles can be difficult to implement in a lot of vehicles, particularly those with floor shifters or existing manufacturer consoles. I'm currently installing a home-brew console in my Jeep Grand-Cherokee (nobody makes one that would fit). People looking to purchase a vehicle with chasing in mind may wish to examine the arrangement of shifter (column-shift is easier to work with), especially if they are the type to use a few radios or other assorted bits of equipment.

Those pre-made consoles seem to work out best if you own a Crown-Vic, large Chevy/GMC SUV or a few other select vehicles. JottoDesk (probably a few others too) does offer some generic type consoles that will fit into vehicles that have some open space between the seats. To save money, consoles are not that hard to make yourself if you have the skill sets.

I'd also advise people to consider some kind of stealth when installing permanent equipment in thier vehicles to avoid attracting too much attention. In my case, a padded top covers the radios when not in use - looks very low profile.

Originally posted by Andrew Geil
Just an FYI, Jottodesk and the others are starting to come out with consoles for vehicles with floor mounted shifters. Pretty neat stuff.

I can't seem to find any online anywhere, you don't happen to have a link do ya?

Originally posted by Andrew Geil
Just an FYI, Jottodesk and the others are starting to come out with consoles for vehicles with floor mounted shifters. Pretty neat stuff.

True, but again you need to have one of the few vehicles that are supported; usually the type that would be used in law enforcement or EM type work.

Originally posted by John B Erwin
True, but again you need to have one of the few vehicles that are supported; usually the type that would be used in law enforcement or EM type work.

86-97 Nissan Pathfinder falls into that category right? :lol: If anyone has seen some sort of equipment mount for these, lemme know. I don't know if they make them, but I know Nissan has always been popular overseas (especially the Middle East) for law enforcement. I think they were big on the Patrols years ago, seen a lot of Frontiers lately. I'm trying to think up a custom console I could build, but I have a emergency-brake between the seats that I don't want to cover up. I know they have a different e-brake setup on the trucks, so I might have to check to see if I can convert mine over, then I would probably have enough room... although the width between the seats isn't much.

Originally posted by Mike Gauldin
I'm trying to think up a custom console I could build, but I have a emergency-brake between the seats that I don't want to cover up. I know they have a different e-brake setup on the trucks, so I might have to check to see if I can convert mine over, then I would probably have enough room...

That was the exact scenario I faced with my 96 Grand Cherokee. In my case I'm moving the e-brake handle to the other side of the driver's seat, which is still easy to grab for me (not that I ever use it). This requires quite a bit of work rerouting the brake cable but I feel the end result is going to be worth it.

Originally posted by Anthony Silver
Another good place to buy amateur equipment, scanners, and antennas is www.associatedradio.com. They are based out of Overland Park, KS, however I believe they ship nationwide.

Thanks for the link Anthony. i told myself i was getting my tech liscense this fall so I better get on it in short order..

Originally posted by fplowman+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fplowman)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Anthony Silver
Another good place to buy amateur equipment, scanners, and antennas is www.associatedradio.com. They are based out of Overland Park, KS, however I believe they ship nationwide.

Thanks for the link Anthony. i told myself i was getting my tech liscense this fall so I better get on it in short order..[/b]

No problem. They offer sessions metro-wide, year round, so you should be able to take the test when it's most convenient for you. Associated Radio carries all kinds of training materials and class schedules too. I would recommend the "now you're talking" book if you're just getting started on your license. Kind of simplifies the testing process a bit.

Back