Using GR Level 2

I just downloaded the trial version of GRLevel 2. What I need to know is how to get, download and view the radar data with it.

If you get a 404 error Im not sure I can help with that. I just filled out the first page with my email and a specific date I wanted and then used the default settings for everything else and it processed my request.

What date/radar are you looking for and I'll see if I can duplicate the issue and offer a workaround.

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle
KMKX

06/06/1999-06/07/1999
[/url]

Ahh...I see the problem. On the second page there should be a list of files in the left section of the orange box. There is no such list and thus the NWS does not have data for those particular days.

Sorry :(

Ok, now have requested data for a different day, and downloaded one of the .tar files. Now, how do I open it. Nothing happens when I go to File-Open in GR Level 2 and select the file.

Go here www.grlevelx.com Click on trial forums. You have to register real quick, but they are very prompt in helping. I, personally, wouldn't waste my time with GRLevel 2. 3 is much better, more capabilities,etc.
Good luck.

Originally posted by Dick McGowan
3 is much better, more capabilities,etc.

True..sorta

If you want everything that normally comes with a storm tracking software then GRLevel3 is what you want. If you want to look at high detail radar images (but dont necessarily want/need the storm tracks/attributes, etc) then GRLevel2 is what you want. Depends on what you want. 99% of folks will want GRLevel3.

And true...this thread is probably better suited to the grlevelx forums

The reason I wanted to try Level 2 was because of the archived data capability. If Level 3 has it I don't need to use 2.

Thanks for the help. :)

EDIT: 1 last question before it works (I can only wish). Anybody know of a good, free download UNTAR program for Windows XP? All the free downloadable ones I can find are for Mac OS.

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle
The reason I wanted to try Level 2 was because of the archived data capability. If Level 3 has it I don't need to use 2. .

They have level3 archives at the NWS that work the same way as the one you were playing with before. Try that first date range....they may have L3 data but not L2 data...never know.

http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/pls/plhas/H...atasetname=7000

Why not have the system untar them for you? That is what I've always done and had no problems.

Why not have the system untar them for you? That is what I've always done and had no problems.

Depends on if you know exactly what time you need. If you intend to download a couple hours of radar data it's probably better to just take the entire tar..that way you can pick and choose from your local disk instead of selecting a bunch of individual files via FTP.

I've done both...personal preference I guess. But true..it is an option.

Back