User-editable Road Maps Downloadable as Shapefiles

I posted this thread on the GR owners forum and thought it might be of interest here. The shapefiles mentioned can be downloaded and added to GR products.

OpenStreetMap Project
I wanted to bring everyone's attention to something new for road shapefiles - the OpenStreetMap project. The OpenStreetMap (OSM) project is a type of Volunteered Geographic Information (VGI). It is database of global road, trail, water, locations, and boundary features freely editable by registered users, just like Wikipedia. For areas in the United States, the OSM project uses the TIGER Census shapefiles as a starting point, but this data can be corrected or have new roads added much more frequently when open to the public. To view the interactive maps rendered weekly from this database in a manner similar to Google Maps, visit the OSM website: http://www.openstreetmap.org

You will notice right away some of the obvious inconsistencies in road types that come from using the TIGER Census shapefile data. I have already been working to correct some of these issues for the central Iowa region, especially around Ames. To make changes to the database, you must first register an account so they can track who makes what changes. After that, you simply have to go to the "Edit" tab and a flash editor pops up. Once you make a change to a line or point, it is saved automatically. Before making any changes, I suggest you use the sandbox editor because changes made are put into the database right after you make them.

CloudMade Downloads
A website called CloudMade uses data from the OpenStreetMap project for mapping projects and even includes a simple (with a some bugs) trip router. The most fascinating and useful product they produce, however, is a set of downloads rendered from the OSM database. They have downloads for handheld Garmin devices and for other mapping programs, as well as the ability to download a statewide shapefile of the roads. Here is the download page for the Iowa data:
http://downloads.cloudmade.com/north_america/united_states/iowa

In theory, map enthusiasts could keep the map database updated for everyone, and have the new results rendered each month.

The Shapefiles
Here within the next few weeks, I will be using ArcGIS to clip these state-wide road shapefiles (updated April 2009) to some of the local WFO boundaries or to the WSR-88d radar ranges. I have yet to decide which would be more useful. I also will be developing a style file that can display shapefiles from CloudMade's OpenStreetMap project renderings. When I get this done I will share it with people if there appears to be interest in this project.

For People Editing Maps
Since this project was started in Europe, they have slightly different ways of describing road types than we do here. These are the road types I have been using. We should try to be as consistent as possible.

Motorway - Interstate highways or highways that are four-laned with controlled access more than 1 mile at a time
Motorway link - Interchange ramps for a motorway
Trunk - Four lane highways that do not have controlled access
Trunk link - Interchange ramps for a trunk
Primary - Federal highways, 2-lane
Primary link - Interchange ramps for a primary, such as a super2
Secondary - State highways, 2-lane
Tertiary - County or other local, numbered highway. 2-lane
Residential - City street, county road, gravel road.
Service - Road that is not supported by government maintenance. A minimum maintenance county road. (I rarely use this)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got done writing an ArcGIS model that I'm going to batch-produce several more shapefiles. Right now I only have radar sites surrounding Iowa in the queue. After I get those done I'll work my way down Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma if people find them useful.

I just got done writing an ArcGIS model that I'm going to batch-produce several more shapefiles. Right now I only have radar sites surrounding Iowa in the queue. After I get those done I'll work my way down Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma if people find them useful.

Good deal. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Keep us in the loop!

I still havent figured out the best way to keep these updated, but for now I have some sites surrounding Iowa completed:
http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~slincoln/GRS/shapefiles/

Since the OpenStreetMap database can be updated on a continuous basis, and because CloudMade re-compiles the state shapefiles every month or so, I need to create an automated way to do this in ArcMap. That way when a new update comes out, I can download the files, and over a weekend just start the script and have it create the shapefiles we want.

25 NEXRAD site-specific shapefiles now available

I finished building and running the ArcMap script/model this afternoon and evening. Right now it looks like it is going to be a two-step, 1.5 hour process to update the shapefiles. I now have road shapefiles for 25 NEXRAD sites in the Upper Midwest and Plains.

Depending on my free time, I may be able to take and process other requests and add them to the script/model. CloudMade re-renders the shapefiles from the OpenStreetMap database roughly every month. If there appears to be major updates to roads (especially if someone lets me know that they have made major changes to roads via the OpenStreetMap project), then I will update the site specific shapefiles at that time.

Thanks Scott. This is great. For those that haven't tried this yet you will love it. Same roads as Delorme or Google Maps, but in GR3. Really great stuff.

Jordan,
Just move the files into your GRLevel3 folder and then load the shapefile and stylefiles in GR3 itself.

Good day all,

Jordan,
Just move the files into your GRLevel3 folder and then load the shapefile and stylefiles in GR3 itself.

I tried this myself and here is the problem...

1). I tried the TLX files and put them in the Grlevel3 directory.

2). In Grlevel3, chose load shapefile.

3). I loaded the TLX (*.shp file) and chose the "tigerroads.sty" file and clicked "import".

4). Go to the TLX radar site.

5). Nothing happens ;-(

Note: There were no *.sty files other than "tigerroads.sty".

Something I am missing?

You should see a file called "openstreetmap_roads.sty" stylefile that you can open in conjunction with the given road shapefile. Use that as your stylefile instead of tigerroads.sty. If you don't see that file available, then redownload the package and make sure to copy ALL files in the downloaded folder into your GRlevel3 folder.

I've noticed it causes my versions of GR2 and GR3 to crash occasionally while they're loaded. I wonder if that has to do with the shapefiles themselves or if some random conflict is occurring with my software and other components of my system.

Back