UPDATE & Review: MXL DRK Microphone

John Diel

EF5
In keeping with the best possible voice over recording and the thread I had a while back regarding Microphones and what you use, I decided to go with the MXL DRK (Desktop Recording Kit). http://www.mxlmics.com/Comp_Recording/comp...cord_index.html

The mic came in a nice package and it's own carry case. Has instructions for it's use, and everything you need to get a good start with a decent Mic. $100 bucks is what it cost.

I also have a few extras that I got with it so my total out is about $150. The extras I have are a Shock Mount, Boom Arm, longer XLR cable.

The mic itself, is pretty heavy. It's a self contained unit that accepts both phantom power (power through the XLR Cable) and a 9 volt battery that comes included. The instructions were clear and I was set up in about 10 minutes. Most of that was fiddling around and reaching to the "Mic In" jack on the sound card.

The Mic is medium sensitive in that it does pick up ambient sounds in the room, but really aren't that noticable. The distance from your mouth to the mic makes a big difference in the quality, but I found that, in general, 2 inches works out very well.

You will need a foam windscreen or mesh "pop-stopper' as it is some what sensitive to the hard consonant sounds (T's, P's, S's). It produced a reasonably warm sounding recording of my daughter's voice and really worked like a champ.

If your serious about your Video Voice Over and don't like the tinny sound you get from your computer microphone, I would invest in one of these Mic's. It's not a Shure 58, or a Sennheiser, but it sure is a great budget solution.

I use Audacity for my mixing and voice over recording needs. It's a freeware program and is simply packed with features. You can get it here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

To give an example: My daughter does a daily radio show during the week. It's an AC Top five countdown and an extra song her friends recommend. Total air time is about 10 minutes daily. We were going to the Studio, recording everything there, and sending it all through an analog mixer with the music and background stuff. For a 10 minute cut, it took us about an hour to get it all done.

Sunday night, she recorded all her Voice Over's and I had the entire weeks program done in about 2 hours. This includes editing out stutters, mistakes, hiccups, etc. It's a great combo that can't be beat.

As soon as I find some space somewhere, I'll get a couple of sample MP3's out for everyone to listen to.

With the setup as it is now, I will start recording short spots with Severe Weather tips for the radio station. You can't get any better than that folks. It's quite a set up and the sound simply beats the little electroset mics normally used with computers.

Back