"Twisters" discussion

(Caution - potential spoilers)

Saw it with the whole family yesterday, Sunday afternoon, at a 3:50pm IMAX show. Avoided reading any of the reviews here so that I could go in without any prejudices or spoilers. Still haven’t read any of the posts here so that I could write about first impressions without any other influences - so apologies in advance if any of this is redundant with earlier posts.

After sitting through endless previews in the theater, it was a pretty cool feeling when the lights were turned down and the first images and sounds of “Twisters” finally appeared. After all the speculation and 28 (!) years since the original, Twisters was about to begin!!!

There is an inherent and unavoidable duality for us in a movie like this. On one side of the coin: What could be better than a movie about storm chasing?!? Despite our perceptions of how many more people are doing it, or how much more familiar it has become to the mainstream public, fact is storm chasing is a tiny niche interest relative to the size of the US population, let alone the world. To see a major motion picture based on it, to immerse yourself in a fictional chasing world for two hours, is simply fantastic. On the other side of the coin, we are doomed to view the movie through the lens of actual storm chasers with knowledge of severe weather. While every viewer has to suspend disbelief, we have to take it to another level to avoid parsing every word of dialogue. While the general audience knows certain things are exaggerated and just sits there happily and obliviously enjoying it, we tend to get irritated by those same scenes.

Also, one thing both chasers and non-chasers would share would be the tendency to make comparisons to the original 1996 “Twister.”

So, I went in expecting to enjoy it from the first perspective. I was curious about how “bad” it would be from the second perspective, but not in a cynical way. I just went in with the expectation that it wouldn’t be a “serious” look at chasing.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie very much - it was a summer blockbuster *and* was about chasing, what’s not to like?!? But it was also somewhat unsatisfying, sort of analogous to having just gorged myself on fast food.

Obviously there was no seriousness in the treatment of storm chasing and not much depth or complexity to the plot, so I’m not going to try to write like a film critic here… I’m just going to make some random observations, with an inevitable focus on the stuff that made no sense.

- The weather- and chasing-related *dialogue* wasn’t quite as ridiculous as I feared. Very early in the film, a character said something to the effect of, “The Doppler is not showing storms until later this afternoon.” I was like, oh boy, here we go… But that was actually probably the worst of it. The original Twister featured several word salads of technical terms used in completely non-sensical contexts and combinations. I didn’t really find that here, although maybe I will notice more if I watch it again. One other thing was the characterizing of tornados by EF rating before or without any damage indicators. The “tornado wrangler” actually explains in the movie that tornados can’t be rated until after the fact, which I thought was cool, yet he later proceeds to call out tornados by their supposed EF rating, even after having said that. (Of course, I’m not saying it was like an instructional video either!) There was a mention of the “suck zone” but I assume that was a self-parodying nod to the original.

- The unrealistic ridiculousness was obviously in the action itself: driving directly into tornados; shooting fireworks up into it; no other chasers ever on the road other than the two groups; everyone milling around while storms were already in progress; practically walking out of the house and seeing a tornado, etc.

- Unfathomable that two chasers would be at a rodeo totally unaware of an approaching tornado until it was upon them!

- The whole premise for the scientists trying to triangulate tornados with three radars was ridiculous - its already being done, that’s what the DOWs are for… Actually taking a step backward to have to get out of the truck to deploy them as standalone devices. Also, there was a comment about having to recover one before it ran out of power and the data would be lost - makes no sense that the data would have been stored locally on the device rather than transmitted. And even if it did reside on the device, why would a power loss affect it? Does your laptop hard drive or mobile phone lose all its files when it loses power??

- Several times it seemed that the chasers were commenting about a storm looking good in its development, in the way that we would typically comment relatively early on in the life of a supercell, except a tornado was clearly imminent (great CGI by the way, as others have said even before the movie was released). They seemed to fully react to a tornado only when it was fully condensed from cloud to ground, not when a funnel was clearly visible, not even if debris was visible beneath it. They were never in the scene for tornadogenesis, they were always driving toward it. I guess seeing chasers waiting around in a field wouldn’t be that interesting…🤔

- That scene where Kate was photographing that good storm structure while with the “tornado wrangler” closer to the end of the film - were they even chasing at the time? Almost seemed like they were just casually watching something they happened to notice before they started chasing…

- I forget the “tornado wrangler” character’s name. Let’s just refer to him as “ RT.” 😏 Yes, obvious parallels there, with a chase vehicle that anchors into the ground, shooting rockets up into storms, the social media emphasis, etc. Interesting twist that his crew was made to be the “good guys,” against the scientists backed by a businessman.

- Sex appeal of male and female leads is obviously part of movies like this. I thought the original‘s Helen Hunt had a much more mature attractiveness, and was a way better female lead. Daisy Edgar-Jones looks like a kid. Is that only because I am older now? I don’t think so; I just watched the original a week ago, and Helen Hunt still looks like a woman to me, while Daisy looks like a teenage girl. Big disparity in screen presence. Maybe they should have let Daisy keep her British accent 😏 Interesting that this time the “love triangle” was two men competing for a woman, whereas in the original it was two women competing for a man.

- I thought it was kind of neat when RT commented to Kate’s mother about the uncertain decisions and role of intuition in chasing. And also a comment that her friend from the science team said about it being “part of the game” to botch an intercept. Oh how I wish there could someday be a movie about chasing that really gets into that whole human side of chasing - the decision-making, self-doubt, etc.

- I didn’t understand why Kate’s friend soured on her - he said something to the effect of “there was a time I would do anything for you Kate, but not anymore.” This was after the argument they had had at the disaster scene, but he was the one who had said something out of line and he knew it…

- I assume the choice of El Reno for the climactic tornado was intended as a tribute to the TWISTEX team and infamous 2013 tornado?

- I liked the little nods to the original, like Dorothy, the little silver instrument balls, the digital image of the released packets swirling up in the tornado like at the end of Twister when Dorothy was deployed, and the reference to the “suck zone.”

- There was actually more depth and complexity to the lead characters I think. In the original, Helen Hunt’s character’s backstory was the loss of her parents in a tornado when she was a child. In this one, Kate had some direct responsibility for the death of her friends in a field experiment. Bill Paxton’s character’s situation was simply his pending divorce from the Helen Hunt character and ultimately being torn between two women and two lifestyles. In Twisters, I liked RT’s admission of the role of fear.

Well, I guess that’s it for now. I’m sure I’ll think of more later, and will have some stuff to comment on when I read others’ posts, but I have to get to work now, I am an hour behind schedule! 🤦‍♂️😕😏😃

“Twisters” made a solid attempt to capture the storm chasing culture, but with an already 2-hour runtime, there wasn’t much room left to really explore the nuances of intercepting tornadoes. “Twisters” still gives a false perception that supercells and tornadoes just magically and instantly appear out of nowhere, because, well, time constraints. In reality, storm chasing is mostly waiting, followed by disappointment, and then, more disappointment.

Well-said! In terms of the impact this movie will have on the public’s view of chasing, I suspect my family, friends and co-workers will think even less of me as a chaser when they consider my results after they now finally realize just how easy it really is! 😖😜

If you are looking for a realistic, science-driven film, this obviously isn't it.

I wish that movie would be made someday… But to really get into that, chasing would probably have to be just a backdrop to the main story, as opposed to a standalone (unless it were a documentary, or a science fiction film that is generally realistic and scientific, except for some extra level of climate change driven storm intensity, or some other new discovery or Twisters-like tornado suppression scheme, etc.)

I also wish there would be a movie that better explored, as Greg put it, the nuances of chasing, and the self-doubt, frustration, disappointment, etc. Come to think of it, that might be better done in a book, which is the better medium for presenting the inner lives and thoughts of characters. Something I hope to write one day!

I'd still kind of like to see a movie based on April 27, 2011 - no science fiction needed, it was the almost unfathomably prolific and violent mega-outbreak that occurred in our lifetimes (4/3/74 being a bit before most of our times, or at least before we were old enough to remember very well if one wasn't directly affected). It would also be a good reminder that Oklahoma, or the Plains in general, aren't the only part of the country that can be badly impacted by tornado outbreaks.

There's even a pretty good template for it already existing in the form of Kim Cross' book about it, What Stands in a Storm. It wouldn't have to focus on the chasers, they would just be part of the larger story including the civilians in the crosshairs of the outbreak and the broadcast meteorologists struggling to get the warning out in the face of major power and communications outages from the first round of storms.

Heck, there were probably quite a few parts of northern Alabama where you could step outside and see your second or third tornadic supercell of the day twirling along the horizon.

I'd still kind of like to see a movie based on April 27, 2011 - no science fiction needed, it was the almost unfathomably prolific and violent mega-outbreak that occurred in our lifetimes (4/3/74 being a bit before most of our times, or at least before we were old enough to remember very well if one wasn't directly affected). It would also be a good reminder that Oklahoma, or the Plains in general, aren't the only part of the country that can be badly impacted by tornado outbreaks.

There's even a pretty good template for it already existing in the form of Kim Cross' book about it, What Stands in a Storm. It wouldn't have to focus on the chasers, they would just be part of the larger story including the civilians in the crosshairs of the outbreak and the broadcast meteorologists struggling to get the warning out in the face of major power and communications outages from the first round of storms.

Heck, there were probably quite a few parts of northern Alabama where you could step outside and see your second or third tornadic supercell of the day twirling along the horizon.
I would love to see this, especially the more broad impact on everyday people. 13 Minutes sucked, and I’d really like to see someone take another shot at a similar kind of movie.

Long-time lurker here. I took my son to a matinee yesterday (normal showing). *Spoilers*

First, the good:

- The effects were, for the most part, phenomenal. Outside of the "El Reno" tornado, the tornadoes looked like something you would see in the field. What Twister put out was good for its day, but those effects have definitely shown their age over the years. Also, Twisters made an obvious effort to work in some identifiable supercell structure, as well. There was really just one instance in Twister where you actually get a feel for the parent rotation. The other tornadoes either randomly spawn from an innocuous stratus layer or are so large that it takes up the entirety of the screen and there's no way to see what's going on above it.

- The opening scene was probably the best part of the movie. Some corny dialog and inaccurate use of terminology, but it showed the truth of how severe the consequences of losing situational awareness and overpass sheltering are. It had all the makings of a future Skip Talbot YouTube video.

And, the bad, or just plain unbelievable:

- At least the "Dorothy" premise of Twister was grounded in an actual, historic experiment. Kate's "taming" idea sounds like something our 3rd grade, weather obsessed selves would have daydreamed about during baseball practice. Like others have said, it was so farfetched that it took me out of the movie.

- I still can't figure out what the movie's message about science is supposed to be. I was expecting Kate to take the lead on that stuff, but throughout the movie she's almost solely preoccupied on getting tornadoes to ingest her sodium polyacrylate. The opening shows her and Javi arguing about data collection, and later she guilts him into giving up all of Storm Par's data so that she can run it through Tyler's model (a contrived coincidence of its own. Why does Tyler magically have the exact "model" she needs to show not only how much polyacrylate is needed, but also to reveal that they have to seed the storm first?). Kate gets the credit for killing the tornado in the end, even though she spends most of the movie just being a tornado-sniffing dog while the background characters do the heavy lifting.

- Kate is basically an enhanced Bill in that she can derive dew point, shear, and CAPE values just by looking at the sky. 🤣

- Javi stole "got his hands on" three DoD PAR prototypes, dragged them out to Oklahoma for a research project with a bunch of YouTubers around, and apparently never worried that DoD would notice and come get him. Outside of scientific accuracy, I though that was the most outlandish part of the movie having worked in DoD for the past 15 years. Then I remembered the '07 Bent Spear incident when the Air Force lost track of six nuclear warheads for 36 hours. So maybe he could plausibly get away with such a thing. 🤣

- I don't think RT will be too upset, considering his "portrayal" was about as positive as it could be. It was obvious from the trailers that Tyler is an RT analog. What surprised me is how the movie sanitizes him and his team. It leans hard into them being YouTube yahoos (spending more time filming themselves instead of the tornadoes), surviving multiple zero meter intercepts with no injuries and minimal vehicle damage, and how what they do "saves lives." This peaks when they're shown selling merchandise in a recently-destroyed small town. But wait! They're actually peddling the merch in order to fund their mobile soup kitchen! 🤣🤣🤣 Tyler has a million YouTube subs, sells a bunch of merchandise, is venerated by all of the hobbyist, "non stuck up" chasers and wannabes (and the director, apparently), but is also completely altruistic and totally chases for the betterment of science and society, and he gets the girl at the end. 🤣🤣🤣 I had to hang around for the credits to see if RT snuck in a writing credit somewhere.

- The movie really wanted us to like Tyler's team in the same way we liked Dusty, Rabbit, Joey, Beltzer, etc. It just didn't happen for me. Chung dialed up their quirkiness so much that they ended up being less human and more like cartoon characters. I think Chung missed the mark here. I didn't like Jo and Bill's team because of their quirky, nonconformist nature. They actually believed in what they were doing, conducting university-backed research and not focused on making money from their names, images, and likenesses. Tyler's team has no interest in legit research until Kate switches teams (again, contrived for plot convenience).

- Speaking of cartoon characters, I just could not take the bad guy seriously. How could I, when he a) gets very little screen time and b) bears such a striking resemblance to Doug Dimmadome?

1721664125367.png

- Tyler's team is all about "saving lives." How, you ask? Not by making reports to Spotter Network or the local NWS. Instead, they fancy themselves superheroes as they drive all of their vehicles into small towns, creating more traffic and leaving more debris targets for the impending tornado, just so that they can physically assist every single person in town to a shelter, whether they need said assistance or not. 🤣

- Chung said he didn't want to get "preachy" in the movie. Yeah, he preached a little. The worst was Maura Tierny's diatribe that started "there's more and more tornadoes every year." 🤣 Maybe Maura can give me some chasing tips, since I don't find them as often as I would like.

I don't feel like my expectations going in were that high. From the trailers, I figured both the YouTube yahoos and the stuffy scientists would be "wrong" in some way and come to a better understanding of each other. Once Tyler's team got the "good guy" label affixed about 45 minutes in, I probably could have called the ending and left. For me, there's not much rewatch value there. My son enjoyed the tornadoes, though.

After reading the reviews here and elsewhere, this is definitely a no-go for me. I've witnessed a lot of "bad" stuff over the years, including death, destruction and people's lives completely altered by tornadoes. Glorifying zero-metering on public highways as "life-saving" missions always makes me hurl. I'm equally disappointed by Government employees and entities who openly support (on social media) the science and reckless behavior presented in the film. I understand the concept of being starstruck, but give me a break.

Do they actually believe that placing a minuscule amount of "silver iodide would convert the moisture of the atmosphere into rain and then the superabsorbent sodium polyacrylate would “increase the cold pool” and rob the tornado of its moisture, therefore choking the tornado?"

A more accurate ending to this movie would have had the "Wrangler" run a stop sign while screaming like a 12 year-old girl, crashing into a Buc-ee's fuel pump island and creating the largest onscreen explosion ever filmed. The smoke would have curled up into the air, spelling out "The End."

- I didn’t understand why Kate’s friend soured on her - he said something to the effect of “there was a time I would do anything for you Kate, but not anymore.” This was after the argument they had had at the disaster scene, but he was the one who had said something out of line and he knew it…

Dude he had the hots for her. She stole HIS truck to go to the Rodeo with alpha male where it got destroyed. Then drove across the state to Salpulpa. Yeah I think he was too nice

I'd still kind of like to see a movie based on April 27, 2011

No thanks, watching it once on the TV at the office working instead of in person was enough 😩

Didn't Phil Campbell/Hackleburg area see like 2 or 3 tornadic storms with wedges that day?

Then I remembered the '07 Bent Spear incident when the Air Force lost track of six nuclear warheads for 36 hours.
Didn't we lose 100s of pounds of enriched uranium in 1965 to Israel?

And did anyone else find it wild that these random storm chaser dudes knew where this girls mom lived? Did Kates mom have it going on?

Also, I had an idea to do the fireworks in front of tornadoes for the past 7 or so years. Had a device that was welded 25 oil field pipes with some wheels. Painted blue so we called it "Big Blue" and would give 25 tubes for mortars. Had the fuse and plasma lighter to pull it off. Was waiting for a dodge city like day to do it. Guess we'll have to blow them all up for new years this year now the movie ruined it

Didn't we lose 100s of pounds of enriched uranium in 1965 to Israel?
I thought that was just the plot point from The Sum of All Fears, but yeah, it was real thing.

Apollo Affair

Then there was '06 when Taiwan ordered some helicopter batteries (unclassified) and we sent them fuses for nuclear re-entry vehicles (classified) instead.

So its certainly plausible that Javi could have nicked those PARs from whatever branch and they not realize that they're even missing.

Having seen "Twisters" a second time, I love it even more. I think the first time I watched it, I always had "Twister" in the back of my mind, but the second time I was able to completely separate it from "Twister" and enjoy it for the great film that it is. As we all know, storm chasing has completely evolved into a massive subculture that didn't exist prior to 1996, so Twisters had to get up to date with the modern state of storm chasing. I saw one review that described "Twisters" as a "love letter to the original." I agree and I would say its also a love letter to storm chasing. Producers approached the weather community to get as much information on tornadoes and storm chasing as they could, and they did their due diligence. It shows in the final product. We get amazingly realistic tornado sequences and solid storm structure and meteorology (not perfect but a BIG improvement from Twister) in this movie. Yes, we all know that what happens with the final tornado is absolutely preposterous, but so was strapping down to metal pipes in a wood shed with leather straps and riding out an F5 virtually unscathed. **Insert Spider Man pointing meme here**

Maybe I am biased somewhat because I have a personal attachment to this film. I know people who are in it, and worked on it, and I was able to make a few small contributions as well. Some of the locations where they filmed are places I have chased since I first began back in high school. I can recall chasing out near Orienta, OK back in 1998 with my best friend and passing the grain silos and gas station while listing to the OG Twister soundtrack. So, when I see that location as the hangout spot before a chase in "Twisters", that hits home. I think why I love it so much, is because how endearing it is towards storm chasing. Now I know this will have a negative side effect as it will inspire many more to pursue chasing, like the first one did for so many of us. That's inevitable. But I digress. I loved the characters even more the second time watching it, and noticed many little details I missed the first time through. Is it perfect? No, but neither was the original. I love the original. It directly inspired me to chase tornadoes. But if I am being honest, I like this one even more.

I thought this review and comparison of both movies is pretty spot on.

And in the few instances where there wasn't a road to turn, everyone just casually took off and plowed across a vegetated field.

Good callout, I meant to include the following bullet point in my own post:

- I’d see a lot more tornados if I didn’t need to worry about roads and could just drive straight across fields!

Great idea Andy. Another book-to-movie should be The Man Who Caught the Storm, by Brantley Hargrove, about Tim Samaras, including the El Reno tragedy.

Having seen "Twisters" a second time, I love it even more.

I have only seen it once, but definitely look forward to seeing it again. I think the first time I may have been hyper-aware trying to identify inaccuracies and unrealistic parts. I want to go in again with a more “innocent” perspective and just enjoy it. I mean, I did go in it to enjoy it the first time, but there was also a skepticism and maybe even cynicism. I’d like to strip that away and just enjoy it for what it is, and appreciate the positives without trying to find the negatives. And there were many positives, as noted here, and also in the Storm Front Freaks Twisters review episode, in which someone noted they got 90% of the meteorology right. I don’t know if that’s the exact percentage, but it’s definitely up there. It would be great to see it again as a “love letter to chasing” as Greg calls it.

When I saw the original Twister, I had not yet started chasing. No, it was not the catalyst for me; I had been a weather enthusiast for years, and already was booked on a storm chasing tour before the movie came out. But after actually chasing for a few years, I began to think of Twister as nonsense. But as I have watched it over and over again through the years, I have come to love it. It’s a caricature of chasing, but an endearing one. I’m sure the new Twisters will also grow to be endearing, and at least a little less of a caricature.

Good callout, I meant to include the following bullet point in my own post:

- I’d see a lot more tornados if I didn’t need to worry about roads and could just drive straight across fields!

I mean, they did it in Twister as well.

"About a mile up, there's a little detour, we're gonna take a walk in the woods!"

...also pretty sure I recall a scene of Bill's truck plowing through a cornfield, on cruise control toward the F5.

Back