• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

TWISTER MUSEUM TOUR/OPENING

Dear ALL StormTrack Memebers and interrested parties

Please MARK YOUR CALENDERS......NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the Twister Museum Opening on MAY 15TH IN WAKITA,OK AT 1PM TO 5PM I BELIEVE. This Museum Opening is a SPECIAL YEAR ........ It will CELEBRATE !!!!!!!!!!! 😁😁😁😁😁 the OPENING OF THE TWISTER MOVIE..... IN MAY OF 1996 AND ALSO... IT IS BILL PAXTONS BIRTHDAY YAY......😁😁😁😁. All Storm Chasers, Media, Public and all INTERRESTED OTHERS Are Here by asked to Attend this AWSOME AND TORNADO ALLEY - HISTORIC EVENT........... Please come out and CELEBRATE WITH US As we CELEBRATE TWISTER.... AND REMEBER BILL PAXTON AND OTHERS - THAT MADE THIS MOVIE AND EVENT AWSOME. We hope to have a BIG BIG Turnout !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and please do one thing for me......Please Spread this ....... to the MEDIA IN TORNADO ALLEY........ LET'S MAKE THIS EVENT....... ONE FOR THE BOOKS............ See YOU in Wakita on MAY 15th 2021......See Ya There.

Shawn C.

" FOX 4-WARN SEINOR STORMTRACKER"

FOX4NEWS.COM

Also worth noting that amongst those attending this event will be actor Sean Whalen (who folds the maps instead of rolling the map) (or if you're into horror like I am, he was Roach in People Under the Stairs directed by Wes Cravens) and actress Wendle Josepher, both were in the movie Twister and will be at this event.

Thanks, Shawn for posting this.

Hard to believe it’s been 25 years since the movie! (And also my own 25 year chasing anniversary - coincidence, not “because” of Twister! I was already scheduled to be on a chase tour before the movie came out !!!)

Isn’t this a RE-opening of the previous museum, and if so how long was it closed? Was it just closed the last year for COVID? Or is it a totally new museum??

Either way, unfortunately, I won’t be on the Plains for my chase vacation until at least a week later...

Wow 25 years since Twister was released. Bit hard to believe its been that long.

----
This sounds like a cool event. I didn't know there was a Twister Museum. Would love to go to something like this event! .. but its just too far away..

Wow 25 years since Twister was released. Bit hard to believe its been that long.

----
This sounds like a cool event. I didn't know there was a Twister Museum. Would love to go to something like this event! .. but its just too far away..

The Twister Museum has been around a long time. I seem to recall my first time going was maybe in 1999 or 2000 with my dad. Last time I was there was in 2008. It's pretty cool, they have one of the on-screen used Dorothy's, other stuff that was in the movie and tons of pictures. Definitely worth the trip.

Hard to believe it’s been 25 years since the movie! (And also my own 25 year chasing anniversary - coincidence, not “because” of Twister! I was already scheduled to be on a chase tour before the movie came out !!!)

Isn’t this a RE-opening of the previous museum, and if so how long was it closed? Was it just closed the last year for COVID? Or is it a totally new museum??

Either way, unfortunately, I won’t be on the Plains for my chase vacation until at least a week later...
It's the same museum. Their normal operating season is April - August, and judging by their Facebook page they were open through COVID last year. They've already been open for a month so far this season.

That is awesome! I wish we could attend but health problems prevent it for now. I have been through Wakita years ago and didn't even know the museum existed. Maybe if they would drop the speed limit on main street a little we would have seen it lol. What was the tornado museum at the Big Texan steakhouse about. There wasn't much left of that when I was there.

Also worth noting that amongst those attending this event will be actor Sean Whalen (who folds the maps instead of rolling the map) (or if you're into horror like I am, he was Roach in People Under the Stairs directed by Wes Cravens) and actress Wendle Josepher, both were in the movie Twister and will be at this event.

Thanks, Shawn for posting this.

"Yeah, well Kansas is a mess, there's a big crease right through Wichita. ROLL the maps!" :)

That is awesome! I wish we could attend but health problems prevent it for now. I have been through Wakita years ago and didn't even know the museum existed. Maybe if they would drop the speed limit on main street a little we would have seen it lol. What was the tornado museum at the Big Texan steakhouse about. There wasn't much left of that when I was there.

I've stopped by the Twister Museum on several occasions. Such a nice friendly place run by a very dedicated director, Ms. Linda wade. Definitely worth visiting if in the area. As for the tornado museum at the Big Texan, I remember it being set up in the late 90's, but nothing much happened. I think they even had a crushed car from the Pampa tornado. I don't know if it ever actually opened and the small building out front of the Big Texan was eventually used for other purposes. That was a was a big wasted opportunity. With all the storm chasers passing through Amarillo, the attraction would have been very popular, and the best place to have it would be at the Big Texan. Such a place would be easy to set up. I am sure there is plenty of tornado memorabilia out there that would be donated. Add a tornado-crushed car or two (previously empty of course) and it would be very popular for both US and foreign tourists. Something similar could be done in Wakita if they ever wanted to expand.

I intend to go (never been) and I intend to do just that!

That'll be awesome! Sean seems like a great guy, I was a fan of his since People Under the Stairs when he played Roach. I got a V-Shoutout and autograph from him a few months ago. Along with his autograph he wrote out "Don't fold the maps".

I visited in 2003. I bought and still have a "Twister Museum" cap, which is now in terrible condition! It was a great place to visit, and I'll try to get there on the 15th, too, if I can make it work.

Joey Ketcham said:
James K said:
The Twister Museum has been around a long time. I seem to recall my first time going was maybe in 1999 or 2000 with my dad. Last time I was there was in 2008. It's pretty cool, they have one of the on-screen used Dorothy's, other stuff that was in the movie and tons of pictures. Definitely worth the trip.
I had no idea it even existed til I saw this thread. The place does sound really cool (and an event like this would be sweet to attend)
But its unlikely I'll ever visit since its so far from me...but I also gotta say, if I was ever out that way for whatever the reason might be, it'd be a 'must see'! :)

I sadly never took the time to visit when I lived in OKC, but I'll be driving up from Houston for this event. I've did my traditional spring watch of Twister this weekend to get warmed up.

The morning of Chapman, we went on a Salt Mine tour in Kansas (yes we saw the Chapman storm from start to finish after). While in the salt mine we unexpectedly ran across Twister memorabilia including the probe they were deploying "Dorothy". Here is a link to the mine tour: Explore | STRATACA

Back