Touchscreen computer

I think the computer/sound system is a good idea, but I wouldn't follow that diagram too closely without examining the sound card first. If your sound card has multiple outputs on it already (4.1) then you don't need the extra y-cables; use 2 of those 1/8" to RCA adaptors and then run RCA cables to the amp (or simply replace all that with 2 1/8" to RCA cables). This will allow you to use the PC's controls to adjust the Front/Rear fader control. I was thinking about something similar, but I was also thinking that it would be nice to have a "control head" (similar to the Soundblaster "live" setup) that would replace the standard car stereo unit; this would include the volume, balance, fader etc. controls. Several ways to go on this.. but it could offer some neat benefits.

Some thoughts on the points that Aaron mentioned above on grounding; I would recommend that you use a "ground loop isolator" for the RCA inputs to the amp; these go inline on the RCA cables and eliminate the ground noise problem (available at Rad Shack or stereo shops).

Interesting stuff!

Back