Thanks?

rdale

EF5
The new "these users thank xxx for the post" really take up a lot of space... Is there a way to disable viewing those messages?

Agreed... I have trimmed some of the fat off that "thanks" message block. We're still evaluating it, and are thinking that this feature might have some benefit in the Target Area threads this spring.

Tim

I think the biggest improvement that the TA can get this spring is writing a script for automatic loss of posting rights for anyone that copy-n-pastes a NWS bulletin, or that says "SPC just issued a .... " or "A meso icon just popped up on that cell."

What would be nice to add to the thanks option is another "thanks" option, with a sarcastic denotation next to it. Could have the thumbs up one and a "thumbs up" one.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. These things on other forums tend to really just emphasize cliques, but ST is a little different. We'll see how it plays out.

The purpose of the Thanks mod is to try to acknowledge the contributions of those posting unusually useful or informative answers. We had considered turning on the Reputation system, but that would probably generate a lot of cliques and favoritism and is not something we will likely ever do. However the Thanks mod is a better option because it is based on post quality rather than personality and allows more accountability. Since we want the Thanks mod to center on weather and storm chasing, we have, as of today, turned off the mod in all areas except the Weather forums and Target Area.

I do ask that if you use the Thanks button, please use it responsibly. As there's been some frivolous use of it already (myself included), we've now reconfigured it to allow each user only 10 outgoing thanks per day. This is a good-faith experiment to try to give a little extra to those who are taking time to post excellent explanations and educate others. If any of us find anyone trying to seriously game the stats we will revoke the ability for those individuals to use it and may edit or reset their numbers as appropriate.

Tim

**NOOB ALERT**

So I recently noticed that I got "thanked" in 2 posts but have no idea what for. Is there a way other than scrolling through my posts that I can view who thanked me and for what?

<EDIT> I looked under my profile and saw the search function, but that it has been disabled. Any other routes?

Back