Texas Panhandle Outbreak Video - March 28, 2007

March 28, 2007 was the first major severe weather outbreak in 2007 for the central and southern plains. Sixty-five tornadoes were reported in Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas! Unfortunately, four lives were lost on this day from tornadoes. We had an amazing stormchase to the southern Texas panhandle, where we viewed multiple tornadoes from two supercell storms in Briscoe County between the towns of Silverton and Brice.

This video presentation documents our chase to the southern Texas panhandle on March 28, 2007, a tragic day where four people lost their lives in Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas. Sixty-five tornadoes were reported on this day! Leaving Oklahoma City, our chase group initially targeted an area southeast of Amarillo, but rushed south to the town of Silverton as storms began to initiate in Floyd County east of Plainview. We arrived in Silverton just in time to view the first tornado of the day. Over the next two hours, we witnessed multiple tornado touchdowns from two supercell storms as they moved northeast across Briscoe County.
The footage is shot with a high-quality (3 chip) camcorder with tripoded footage including a video segment documenting the entire lifecycle of a tornado as it moves across the Caprock Canyon St. Park area. Titles/graphics are interspersed throughout providing time and location information as well as National Weather Service warnings as they occur.

Video Chapter Summaries:

- Forward/Opening Credits
1) Heading Out: The first segment briefly covers our trip west to the Texas panhandle along Hwy I-40 and subsequently our drive south along SR 207 to Silverton. It includes our conversations on weather conditions and strategy, images of the sky just before and after storms begin to initiate. It also includes GPS and radar images displayed on our laptop computers.
2) Tornado! The First of the Day: We gain sight of the 1st tornado of the day as we drive east on SR 86 toward the town of Silverton. The tornadic storm is approaching us from the south. After the tornado lifts, an ominous wallcloud looms to the south of Silverton, moving toward us.
3) Tornado Warning in Silverton: Warning sirens are heard as we drive into Silverton from the south and turn east onto SR 86. We plan to stop just east of town.
4) 1st Video Stop: We stop 1 mile east of Silverton. We view a rapidly rotating wallcloud south of town with multiple brief tornado touchdowns. There is wonderful contrast in this footage as the wallcloud is backlit by sunlight behind the storm base. We get pelted by rain and hail at this time. Fortunately, Silverton is spared as the approaching tornadic circulation remains just south and west of the town and lifts as the mesocyclone passes overhead. We retreat to the east along SR 256. While driving, we see more tornadoes north of Silverton as our initial storm moves into central Briscoe County.
5) 2nd Video Stop: We stop a few miles southwest of the town of Brice along SR 70 to view another tornado-warned storm which is just south of our original storm. We view a persistent wallcloud to the southwest. Over time, the wallcloud becomes more defined as the circulation tightens up. A few brief tornado touchdowns occur before a strong tornado develops and moves through the Caprock Canyon St. Park area. The entire 20 minute lifecycle of the tornado is captured on video. After the tornado ropes out, we must reposition again. Because of limited road options, we must drive east on SR 256 to the town of Memphis and the turn northwest onto Hwy US 287. We are attempting to catch up to our storm, which has moved into Donley County.
6) Donley Co. Storm at Dark: This final video segment begins as we are driving just north of Hedley, a small town in southeast Donley County. We are driving on SR 273, trying to catch up and straddle alongside the still dangerous tornadic supercell. At dusk, we can see tornadoes to our northwest. The video footage has been enhanced to increase brightness. A large, rotating wallcloud can be seen. For safety, we finally stop and allow the storm to cross the road in front of us. The chase is over.
7) Timelapse Segments: Storm timelapse sequences.
8) Photo/Video Montage: A photo story comprised of pictures and video of our chase outing.
- Closing

The DVD production has been produced in DVD+R format, and has a running time of 1 hour, 29 minutes, 50 seconds. I considered my options concerning what kind of format to use, DVD+R or DVD-R. I decided to go with the DVD+R format because of technical advice I received indicating that slightly better video quality can be obtained plus it is compatible with the majority of DVD players on the market. Also, with some research, I discovered that one cannot trust the quality of DVDs by brand name. These companies do not make their own disks, but outsource to other manufacturers. One must determine the Media ID of a DVD to determine the disc manufacturer, and there is a wide range in quality depending on who manufactures the disc! I make it a point to use only quality 1st class media discs.

In addition, this video was burned on a Dual Layer (DL) disc rather than a Single Layer disc. Using DVD+R DL discs enable double the storage capacity over the standard DVD+R discs. My concern is to provide the highest quality video for the price, thus I used a DL disc rather than compress and degrade the video quality by using a standard disc.

I am selling the DVD for $19.95. This includes postage if mailed to a location within the U.S. I can be paid via PayPal if you have a PayPal account (my email address is "[email protected]"). Or, I would accept a personal check. Once it clears my bank, I can send the video out.

Thanks,
Matt Starkey

Attachments

• DVD005b_ebay.jpg
    DVD005b_ebay.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 123
  • DVD007b_ebay.jpg
    DVD007b_ebay.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Grabbed4_ebay_cr.jpg
    Grabbed4_ebay_cr.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 124