Tethering Cell Phone to Laptop

"If had to guess, I would say that message is showing up because there is no data coverage where you are at."

Or he hasn't activated that part of his plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
From my understanding you need to at least have a smart phone with the smart choice plan. I have the Altel Smart Choice 500 family plan and I tether with a USB cable, it's faster than bluetooth. You can use a normal phone but you want the data plan otherwise you'll get a huge bill and on the nightly news as being that guy.

I have the basic roaming plan when not chasing. Saves $$$. When I need to get the data plan, I call them up and ask them to turn it on. I have the Alltel 'Hue' with the data port. The data cable & software was real rip when I bought it - $65! I sure hope that it is cheaper now. I know that the cable can be purchased on eBay for less than $10 or so. But I didn't know that when I bought the other one from an Alltel shop. Joey - you might want to look into this - and see if you can avoid the same $$$ mistake that I did.
Just dos centavos...

I purchased Motorola Phone tools which included the cable. I think it also cost about $65 back in 2007. Now I mostly us the Blue Tooth dongle for communication with the cell phone modem. The BT is nice because you can also use for a BT GPS connection also.

Back