Tapes from the Denver Convention

Scott Currens

My anniversary was the weekend of the convention so I was unable to attend. I think I missed a good one. Did anyone happen to record the presentations that were given? I checked the conventions website and it doesn’t look like they are selling a DVD of the talks. I have listed the presentations that I am most interested in.

Dr Paul Marskowski - "What We Know and Don't Know About Tornado Formation"
Tim Marshall - "Conducting Your Own Damage Survey"
Dr. David Gold - " A Potential Vorticity View of Tornadic Environments: A New Approach to an Old Problem"
Jon Davies - "Cold Core Systems"
Jon Davies - "Supercell and Nonsupercell Tornado Forecasting"
Tim Samaras - " Dynamic Measurements of Tornado Cores-the HARD way"
Dr. Josh Wurman - "Low Level Dynamics of Tornados"
Dr. Chuck Doswell (keynote speaker) Chaser Safety
Jim Reed - "Photography Tips and Making Money Through Photography"
Dr. Joe Golden - "Water Spouts"

OK, I realize that I have listed 10 hours worth of talks and it is unlikely that any one person recorded all of them. If you recorded two or more of the presentations listed and are willing to send me a copy please shoot me an email/PM.

I am willing to pay for the cost of making copies and shipping. In addition, I have one last copy of “Another Boring Chase Video!â€￾ that I can offer in trade.

Thanks,
Scott

[email protected]

You know, we have enough darn good videographers, that you would think someone thought to get it all on tape and make a DVD available.

However, if not, it's certainly a thought for next year and place the cost of the DVD in the registration fee as an option. That way you would know how many to have and add in an extra 10 or so, for those that change their mind.

OR.... do one for each speaker and have your sales afterward, then mail the DVD and a CD of the speakers supporting notes, PP, etc. to the purchaser.

I would bet there would be at least two or three videographers on the board willing to do something like that.

Technically, the talks are copyrighted so you'd have to get written consent from both the speakers and those in charge of the conference.

Aaron

Yes, the Copyright would be correct. However, for the planners, I think that would be part of the package in getting them to speak? It seems as though more and more, we are seeing video being taken at the "professional" conferences (Wichita's AMS conference last year) and I would suspect the National Conference in Norman has the same thing or idea.

However, I haven't been to the Denver conference, nor the Norman Conference, so I couldn't say. But it's an idea that might help out somewhere?

Originally posted by John Diel
Yes, the Copyright would be correct. However, for the planners, I think that would be part of the package in getting them to speak? It seems as though more and more, we are seeing video being taken at the "professional" conferences (Wichita's AMS conference last year) and I would suspect the National Conference in Norman has the same thing or idea.

However, I haven't been to the Denver conference, nor the Norman Conference, so I couldn't say. But it's an idea that might help out somewhere?

The talks from the National Severe Weather Workshop in OKC / OUN are online... The webpage for the 2004 conference says that one must contact someone to obtain the 2004 talks... Regardless, here are the links for the past conferences that have talks/presentations online and available for download.

2005 Talks --> http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/NSWW05/
2003 Talks --> http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/nsww2003/agenda.html

I do think it'd be worthwhile to put all presentations and talks online. The AMS has done this (i.e. you can view talks from the Symposium on Severe Local Storms from last month's AMS Annual Meeting), and it's a great way to learn IMO.

I tried this a few years ago. I taped the entire convention talks. Something like 10 hours of tape if I remember. I had exactly ONE person that wanted to buy the tapes, so I didn't waste the effort on it any more after that. There were also some issue that arose due to some of the material being presented no generally available for public consumption and some questions as to whether or not it would be ok to duplicate that for sale.

I think it would be great, as it would pay for some of the convention expenses, but then again, there has to be enough interest to make it worth the time and effort to tape the entire thing, edit it, and produce the final product.

Back