Supercell ( eye )

Hi everyone,

first of all I wish you a happy and healthy new year 2006!

I remember me that someone of you guys had posted a radar picture of
a supercell, which formed an eye-like feature ( I think it was
somewhere in E-USA). Does anyone of you know the
date of this event or a link, where you can find the radar pics?
I think this was in the thread " What was the strongest convective
gust ever recorded in the USA?"...but I can't find it:(

Thanks a lot,

Helge

I think there might have been another storm rather similar to that one in nw NE last year, July 8, 2004(ok that is 2 years ago now). Someone with a higher speed connection than I can bother with the loop if they want. I seem to remember it spiraling when I got data in Ainsworth. I got on it much later when it lost its supercell structure).

On this page it is the storm in the upper left, or #38.

http://www.extremeinstability.com/radar.htm

It was spiraling, holding a couplet in the middle of it, and also had a 65-70dbz core......man I wish I was there earlier just to see what it looked like. I don't think it ever had an eye though as that area was filled with the worst core. It was real odd though as it looked like a chinese throwing star with a couplet in the middle.

This one had a pretty nice eye, oddly in the middle of the forward-flank downdraft...

eye.png

:lol: Hardy har har... Wait, I'm not funny...

This one had a pretty nice eye, oddly in the middle of the forward-flank downdraft...

eye.png

:lol: Hardy har har... Wait, I'm not funny...

I wish all eyes looked as good :)

Pat

One of these odd Radar formations appeared I think in October/November in the outbreak near TN.....I remember that radar signature well...a "Tornado-Cane".

I believe there was a similar reading a few years ago in Wayne County, TN, on a storm that rated F-4 or F-5.

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

I recall the Wayne County, TN tornado but I was not aware it was an F5...I believe it was an F4.

That's incredible that supercell really does look like it has the eye of a hurricane thanks for the link Dave, so hows the weather up thier in Iraq any sand storms?

That's incredible that supercell really does look like it has the eye of a hurricane thanks for the link Dave, so hows the weather up thier in Iraq any sand storms?

It's the "wet" season right now. No sand blowing with the high winds that occasionally do occur. Humidity is moderate to high, with daytime temps fluctuating greatly between 50 and 85F. Overnight lows range from 35-50F. A cold front is expected late next week per Accuweather's 15 day (which has been quite accurate, btw) There is expected to be precip and a major cold snap associated with FROPA. Lows may drop below 30F and there looks to be a precip potential associated with one of the colder nights. Baghdad has not seen snow in over 55 years, could it happen? I hope there is some good convection in the storm's warm sector. :wink:

Sorry, a little off topic, I was just answering the question. That "Tornadocane" has to be the coolest radar echo I have ever seen though.

Back