Successfully pulling in EMWIN - radar and other images-KET

KET here in Paducah, Kentucky has started a new program. They have a sub-audible signal going out on their towers. You can pull up local radar and all of the EMWIN Data Stream.

Just got mine working a few minutes ago. Seems to be pulling in dozens and dozens of products. Satellite and radar. I have not been able to get the KET Software to work yet. Still working on that.

Pretty kewl stuff.

The NWS is still working on their receiver box as well. They have been able to get the KET software to work but are now looking into the EMWIN stuff.

There is going to be a meeting at the end of the month to discuss all of this with emergency management.

So far this seems like a pretty neat program.

I have to figure out how to dump the products after they come into this file. Left alone it would fill your hard drive up.

I think I need to download the EMWIN Software to digest all of this. Right now it is just storing everything in a folder.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Sounds pretty interesting. NOAAport will also be switching over to a more affordable solution (~$2,000 in total (including the receiver box, satellite, and ingest system)) using the same wavelength as standard DVB-S dishes - This will provide ALL NWS data (all text products, SFC obs, model data, nexrad, etc.) - But again, you would need software to decode that data (Unidata has some great programs, but they only run on Linux).

Currently, the only solution that is available is large satellite dishes, with a receiver for each of the four channels that NOAA provides. That solution costs a pretty penny, and for a full channel system, will run about $45,000 (quoted from MartaSys). I currently get the entire NOAAport stream over the internet, in addition to other experimental datasets, via a network called the IDD, which is only available to universities and a few select individuals.

It has been a pain trying to get this to work. Still not there.

The receiver for this system is about $200 and that is the only real cost involved. It seems to be pulling in data...but not sure how to organize the data. Still working on that.

The software is not self-explanatory. I have rebooted my computer and now it won't work at all :) I have to get past the software and driver problems before anything else.

Rdale has a program RealEmwin ( http://www.skywatch.org/ ) that might work. I use to use the program for a direct feed off the sub carrier of the GOES satellites. It worked fine for EMWIN and can also be used for internet feeds. Not sure about your signal, I think you can have a trial period with the program to see if it works.

"Sounds pretty interesting. NOAAport will also be switching over to a more affordable solution (~$2,000 in total (including the receiver box, satellite, and ingest system)) using the same wavelength as standard DVB-S dishes"

They did that earlier this year... And since Beau is running GEMPAK with LDM he's 90% there from the software side ;> Still awaiting final reports from hobbyists on the hardware side as it is not apparently as easy as originally anticipated but can be done.

Back