Strobes and Light bars.

if you really want alot of suggestions, try the Technical lighting discussion board at elightbars.org

I used to go all out with fullsize lightbars and stuff on my old vehicles, but decided to stay modest on my new explorer. I have a pair of small LEDs in the grill (whelen TIR3's), hideaway strobes in my amber rear turn signals, and a traffic director in the back window. Im also getting 4 more hideaways for my front turn signals, but only for the sole reason that I enjoy installing stuff like that and needed something else to do. If you want pictures, post here and I'll get them up.

I have done a couple of deals with some guys off elightbars, mostly parted out my old lightbar there. You can get some sweet deals there, but check feedback on the feedback forum first.

I would suggest Gall's or OMB Police Supply. My suggestion would be to stay away from the Federal Signal products as they are more expensive. Whelen would be the best bet. Gall's also has their own brand of strobes and lightbars which are relatively inexpensive.

FYI...rotating or flashing lights of any color are illegal in the
State of Nebraska (can't speak for other states).

Does that include amber and yellow? I know most states dont have a problem with those two. I know reds and blues are a big no-no just about anywhere unless you're a law enforcement officer or firefighter.

Originally posted by Anthony Silver
FYI...rotating or flashing lights of any color are illegal in the
State of Nebraska (can't speak for other states).

Does that include amber and yellow? I know most states dont have a problem with those two. I know reds and blues are a big no-no just about anywhere unless you're a law enforcement officer or firefighter.

Yeah, that includes amber, yellow, & white, too. However, if the lights are permanent and they are legal in the state where the car is licenced, it's not illegal to have them. You just can't legally use them.

That's the letter of the law, anyway. In reality, I see chasers using amber strobes and lightbars all the time out here, sometimes in plain view of the police. I've never seen or heard of anyone being pulled over for it. I'm sure if you were speeding with the lights and the wigwags and the strobes on and making traffic pull to the side for you (I've seen that before, too), the fuzz wouldn't be so lacadasical and you'd likely end up in jail.

Your vech. has to be legel for the state it is licn. in. If you can have yellow in your home state you can have it anywhere. If you turn it on anywhere else it would have to be for a good reason. Most not all police officers have better things to do than stop you.

Originally posted by Andrew Geil+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andrew Geil)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tom Burgess
Your vech. has to be legel for the state it is licn. in. If you can have yellow in your home staute you can have it anywhere.

Not true, what so ever. If the state law says you need X, Y, Z, then you need X, Y, Z, regardless of what your state says.

Why risk the hassle?

Anyways, I'd stay away from lightbars personally. Get yourself a small pair of TIR3 LEDs from Whelen; they're $50 a pop, incredible small, but extremely bright.[/b]

Not sure I want to fuel this (again) but I disagree. If that were the case, all sorts of equipment that is legal in one state but not in another would have to be checked at the border. All you guys with laptops up front where the driver can see them? Check em at the border when you enter TX, unless your working for the news of course, the exempt that. Of course you ARE just using that solely as a navigational device right?

I'll give you a perfect example. Some states require a front license plate, others don't. So are you going to tell me that because TX requires it that someone from NM (which does not require them) comes to TX they have to have one? No, because they go by the requirements of the state the car is registered in.

I apologize for pointing out Nebraska's laws in this thread. I did not realize that it was a recurring and contentious issue and did not mean to start a fracas. :oops:

As you were.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

Back