Stormtrack system resource consumption - NOTICE

Our metrics show that Stormtrack is using a large amount of CPU resources. Since we're on a shared server, there is a chance our webhost may move us to a slower server if I can't locate the trouble or can't find the time. This may just be related to our large size, as phpBB is a bit bloated and does not use mySQL very efficiently.

If any trouble develops we may take the board down and move to a different forum package, such as SMF.

Tim

My experience with MySQL in the design and implementation of a big open-source transportation data archiving system is that it starts to bog for read/write when a table gets bigger than 25k records or so. We've ended up working out a method whereby a table is closed and a new one opened after a standard time interval that accumulates on the order of that number of records.

This board has over 60k posts. Perhaps a similar method whereby a separate archival board or boards is carved off might speed up the current active board. FWIW.

Originally posted by Sam Sagnella
For a while this morning I couldn't access the site - was this related?

There was several times late last night (or early morning) where I couldn't access the site, neither... I am guessing it is related.

Originally posted by nickgrillo+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nickgrillo)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Sam Sagnella
For a while this morning I couldn't access the site - was this related?

There was several times late last night (or early morning) where I couldn't access the site, neither... I am guessing it is related.[/b]

I also had some problems this morning and some last night getting into the forum and the main site.

Can we move the Archive stuff (pre-August Stormtrack threads) to another forum. I mean, move that to something like http://www.stormtrack.org/forum-archive ... Seeing how there are more posts in the archived subforums than in the active subforums, it seems like it might alleviate the delay and usage.

Back