Storm Probe Idea

I agree with Glen about the RPVs. The only real problem is even large planes have problems in and around thunderstorms! While, RPVs would be an ideal solution, I think turbulence around the edge of a storm (let alone the RFD) might be a littl e much for a RPV to overcome--something that is probably being considered. Best of luck to those who try to get instruments in and around storms...I don't think I would have the patience to deal with all the planning and issues associated with it (just give me a radar and I'll be fine ). :D

As far as the coke can idea, I think a modified artillery gun might work best...just shoot a couple into the storm and track them with GPS :wink:

I am personally acquainted with a balloon experimenter, Harry Mueller, KC5TRB. His informal outfit is Oklahoma Research Balloons, [url]www.members.cox.net/hhm_74775/orb [/url]. I have been to several of his launches and took part in a couple of balloon chase and recovery efforts.

Harry uses three means of tracking his payloads - APRS (Automatic Postion Reporting System), an RF beacon on amateur radio two-meter FM simplex, and an audio beacon. The RF beacon is a backup to APRS. Teh adio beacon is for when searching close to the payload and the RF signal is too strong for direction finding techniques.

Amateur radio balloon groups exists across the nation. I believe the closest active group to D. Bailey is in north Texas. I suggest he contact one or more of these groups and learn as much as he can from them. That may save him some time gettignthis project "off the ground" - literally!

Back