• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Storm Chase Almanac

May 5, 2002 Happy, TX tornadoes and after-dark RFD superblast near Lesley, TX

May 11, 1982 - numerous tornadoes across SW Ok and portions of the Texas panhandle, Altus AFB hit.

March 3, 1983 - Donley county Tx. tornadoes, well documented by Tim Marshall.

April 26, 1984 - Numerous tornadoes from central Ok into the upper midwest.

May 10, 1985 - Large tornadoes across portions of Ks & Ne.

May 14, 1986 - SW Ok. tornadoes, Windthorst Tx tornado.

May 7, 1988 - If busts are included, this was one of the biggest in the late 80's, lots of chasers burned.

March 13, 1990 - Hesston F5, tornadoes from Ok into Ia.

May 15, 1990 - Ok tornadoes, Stillwater F3

March 26, 1991 - Ok/Ks tornadoes

April 12, 1991 - NC Ok tornadoes

May 26, 1991 - Woodward Ok, Wichita Ks area tornadoes

May 11, 1992 - SE Ok tornadoes

May 5, 1993 - Ok panhandle, Sw Ks tornadoes

April 26, 1994 - Southern Ok/North Tx outbreak, Gainesville tornado.

May 7, 1995 - Ardmore Ok tornado, north Tx tornadoes...many chasers suckered further west to squall line.

June 13, 1998 - OKC area tornadoes others along the Ks/Ne border

October 4, 1998 - Numerous tornadoes across Ok.

May 7, 2002 - Sw Ks tornadoes

RS

I believe the date for the Kansas/Oklahoma tornadoes is wrong, April 26 1991 should be the date as this was my first successful chase near Redrock OK. This was also the same day/evening that Wichita and Haysville took a direct hit this includes Andover in which 24 people died.

I am sorry guys, I did not mean mistaken as in that tornado did not happen (March 26 1991), I thought it was a typo in regards to the Redrock as well as the Andover event.

I am sorry guys, I did not mean mistaken as in that tornado did not happen (March 26 1991), I thought it was a typo in regards to the Redrock as well as the Andover event.

It's all good, just a hunch on your part. If I didn't know Rob and his utter hate for the sheer mention of that date, I'd have presumed it was a mistake too. In fact I had to look the date up to see if there had indeed been tornadoes :D

It's all good, just a hunch on your part. If I didn't know Rob and his utter hate for the sheer mention of that date, I'd have presumed it was a mistake too. In fact I had to look the date up to see if there had indeed been tornadoes :D

Bah! Actually, I just left it off...not sure why. Must have been one of those subconscious things. But it does make me think of something Shane...June 13, 1998, June 13, 1998!!!

RS

Another one for the list:

El Dorado, Kansas on June 10th, 1958 at 5:50 p.m. had the "wrong-way" tornado come out of the northwest and headed to the southeast across the southwest portion of town. Killed 13 residents and destroyed 100 homes. They just dedicated a memorial for the fiftieth anniversary this past summer in a park where the tornado went through. It was the first tornado that I had seen and I've been hooked ever since.

June 1, 1999: Supercell develops along outflow boundary/coldfront intersection in eastern OK and produces 8 tornadoes including an F3 near Ft. Gibson Lake and Checotah OK. Gene Moore witnessed first F3. Myself and Justin Teague witnessed Checotah F3.

May 27, 2001: Intense derecho event unfolds from southern Kansas through Oklahoma and into Texas. Top winds measured by DOW near Meade, KS of 112mph. Witnessed by many chasers.

April 21. 2001: Intense supercell develops along warm front in central Kansas. After storm crosses warm front it produces half mile wide F4 which destroys 1/3 of Hoisington, KS. Witnessed by Kathryn Piotrowski and myself.

March 12th, 2006 140 tornado outbreak across Missouri and Illinois.

Teenage boy in Fordland Missouri broke the record for longest distance tossed in a tornado and live to tell the story.

In Fordland Missouri , Matt Suter was sucked into a tornado and landed more than 1, 300 feet away... a new world record. That is 1/8 of a mile in this historic outbreak.

I personally chased this fast moving F-3 tornado down HWY 65 from Springfield to Seymour. Filmed the tornado illuminated by lightning.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1749637 (Link to story about the young man) Really cool!!!!

May 29, 2004--Clinton and Dekalb Counties, MO-Weatherby, MO F-4 tornado....several miles of destruction, numerous injuries and 3 fatalities....several supercells formed many tornadoes....this was the largest and most deadly.....seemed like this night would never end for us....we were under a tornado warning several times over a few hours.....seemed surreal....I responded to Weatherby and was the Incident Commander for the rescue operations....my first and hopefully last experience with the devastation an F-4 tornado causes.....there were other tornadoes in the KS/MO area but this one is still to vivid for me.....

Tim this seems like a pretty cool idea. Perhaps later URL links could be found and then set up / pointed for each event detailing the chases, chasers, and the storms.

Back