Sticky mount

Sara Johnson

Has anyone bought one of those sticky mounts? They had it on display at the Convention. Just wondering what anyone's thoughts were on the matter. Thanks!!

I don't have one of those but I have a suction cup mount. Mine has the plunger thing you pump. I'd much rather have this as it has an indicator on the plunger to let you know it is loosing suction. I think the warning on the sticky pod is your camera bouncing down the road, or falling off your glass or dash.

The thing I use the most is my $25 window clamp. I can't think of one instance in the last coupe years that I had to get out and setup a tripod. If there is any breeze blowing into a storm you can usually even use the mount in the rain(I was in rain most of the Hill City tornado and it was always mounted to my open window).

I use a Cinemount similar (or maybe the same) as what Mike's talking about. I had to do some minor modification to the dash of the truck for it to work out properly (drilled and mounted an 8 inch piece of plexi for the suction mount), but it's a beat up truck so no loss there.

I also like the ability to pull this from the dash and roll a window down half way and use the suction unit to attach it securely there as well.

I've used this on the outside of vehicles in creating a few commercials for a high speed, low to the ground shot and it never wavered. Of course my heart was in my throat the entire time as I could just picture the camera bouncing along beside the car at 65 mph, leaving a little trail with every bounce (for that I had it secured by a rope as well).

http://gomediamonkey.com/products/cinemount3028.htm

Thanks guys. I was looking for a way not to have to drill anything. I've got a perfect spot on the dash for it. Didn't think much about the bouncing or risk to the camera. And, it's definitely an advantage to be able to remove it quickly whenever necessary. Anyway, one more thing to check into anyway. Thanks!

My brother bought me a cool little device for Christmas called The Pod:

http://www.thepod.ca/

It is basically a little bean bag with a tripod screw. I plan on using this with my TRV900 as my dashcam this season by velcroing the base to the dash. You can pivot the camera in any direction and it holds in place pretty well.

I got my mount from a police department after they switched to the visor bracket mount. Trying to get more of them if the chief can find them.
I did add a tripod head on it from an extra tripod so I can switch from tripod to window mount to dash mount easily since they all use the same shoe.

Dash%20mount.JPG

When I talked to the folks at Sticky Pod last year, they told me that if your dash has a texture finish, then their suction cups would not stick to it. That’s why they sell the package with the bracing arm that goes up to the window. I guess this setup kind of just wedges in on top of your dash. I passed on their products and am still looking for a mount that I don’t have to screw into my dash.

Bill does the mount in your picture fasten down and do you know if they are available for purchase anywhere? Is there any kind of manufacturers name on the one you have? Thanks.

Originally posted by Kurt Silvey
Bill does the mount in your picture fasten down and do you know if they are available for purchase anywhere? Is there any kind of manufacturers name on the one you have? Thanks.

It uses suction cups on the windshield and a 3X3 Velcro on the rear to hold it in place. It is quite solid, even with a TRV900 mounted on it.
I wish there was a name on it but there isn't and I have searched the internet trying to find any like it but I haven't yet. It is really a simple design and could be made quite easy if you know someone who has a metal break machine for creating the bends.

I really like Bill's dash mount. :wink: If I can't get one myself I am thinking about having the shop man at work make me one like it. I could rig something like it up myself but he is much better with the metal than I. You really don't want to see me weld it is very ugly.

Bill have you took it on a ride yet with the camera? How shaky is it? Some test footage would rock. :lol:

Mick

Originally posted by Mickey Ptak
I really like Bill's dash mount. :wink: If I can't get one myself I am thinking about having the shop man at work make me one like it. I could rig something like it up myself but he is much better with the metal than I. You really don't want to see me weld it is very ugly.

Bill have you took it on a ride yet with the camera? How shaky is it? Some test footage would rock. :lol:

Mick

I still have the Chief of Police looking for the other ones. If he can't find them I will send the specs from the one I have with some close up pics. Actually no welding is needed.
I have taken it out on a few "test runs". It does quite well and is good and stable, even on quick turns 8) I will take it out this weekend and get some video to post because I didn't save the odd ball stuff from before.

Here is the mount I gave Shane. This one came from a Chevrolet Caprice. The one I have is from a Crown Victoria which is 20 1/2" vs. 12 5/8" to the drop point. All other measurments are the same.
Mine also has an additional plate underneath for the curved dash.

Mount3.JPG

Bill:

That's a pretty cool mount. I've went through several versions, and settled on one that uses a 3" steel pipe with 1/4" walls welded to a bottom plate that conforms to my floor. It's secured to the dash with a 1/4" by 6" plate bolted to a metal frame member under the radio.

Damn thing weighs 50 pounds...for good reason. I'd like to fill the pipe with lead shot for further dampening.

To me, the big test for vibration is going down a gravel/washboard road with your camera zoomed in. If it vibrates relative to the vehicle-mount fails the test...at least in my book.

Then again...if I have to zoom in-I'm too far out....keep driving.

I am always looking for a lighter mount!
:D

Tim

Tim,

The only way to get true rock steady video from a moving, bouncing, washboard rocking platform (your chase vehicle going down a bad Kansas cow path), would be to have a gyroscopically stabilized and weight/spring balanced system.

Such systems are available!! Usually to the DoD though. If a tank can place 6 to 7 rounds a minute on target moving 45 to 60 mph across rough terrain, we should be able to get good video going 30 to 45 mph across graded gravel.

Actually, I was being silly there. However, there are systems available. There are small Gyro's available for about $2000 each that are designed for photo use from moving platforms (cars, trucks, helicopters, etc.). Along with at least two of these gyro stabilizers, you would need to rig a spring and pully articulated arm system and mount that along with the gyro system to your dash. You would now have a counterbalanced gyro stabilized photographic platform in which you could shoot unattended and it would be rock steady.

Take a look at various Steadicam, Glidecam and Varizoom stabilisers and add a couple of Gyroscopes to it and you now have something that you can craft a mount for.

Anyway, that's how the big boys do it.

I have a Glidecam rig and believe me, I've thought long and hard about trying to figure a way to get it in the truck and still have room to do the chasing. Won't happen in my little ford ranger anytime soon!

Back