Sprint Service/Who uses it?

fplowman

Sprint Service.. i have been told that there is a cable i can use to hook up sprint to a laptop.. now im not talking about paying extra for their data fees and getting on a special plan.. Im talking about using it with an 800 dial up service or the like.. Can anyone point me in the direction of this cable if it truley does exist?

Also how well has it worked for you??? 14k speeds??

I once had a connection that hooked into the serial ports into the laptop. Data was very very slow, but back a couple years ago on a 200MHz laptop, it did the job, even if it took 10 minutes. Its an ancient practice now I would imagine; although I'm sure there is something similar to it now-a-days. In any case, a couple years ago, I loved it, but with WiFi and everything else now-a-days that you technically don't need to get expensive plans for. I mean, a connection with those wire cards may cost you in minutes what a 5.95 WiFi subscription for a day would cost you. May be worth looking into! :)

Yeah Tony your right.. i was just wanting to cover all bases.. wifi and cellular/pcs.. If its not practical its not practical.. Kinda what I thought already but needed to ask anyways..

I have Sprint and have (or did have til I lost it in NM) a cable for my nokia phone. Worked pretty good but I could only dialup when in Sprint area, which wasn't all that often on the plains, but better than last year. I noticed coverage in areas I never had before, such as from AMA to SPS which I didn't have last year unless I was close to AMA or SPS. Had a full signal in CDS this year for the first time.

After I lost the cable I relied on WIFI more and actually like it better for the most part.

Something I did was subscribe for a month at truckstop.net which is in all the Loves, Petro and SapBros and some others. You can use it at any of them. I did it for a full month in April, May and June and certainly got my $30/mo good out of it!

BTW, I recently asked Sprint about this, and they say that they no longer have the option of using the phone as a 14.4 modem on their wireless web. It's all Vision (high speed data) now, and they don't allow customers to hook this to their laptop.

-Ryan

BTW, I recently asked Sprint about this, and they say that they no longer have the option of using the phone as a 14.4 modem on their wireless web. It's all Vision (high speed data) now, and they don't allow customers to hook this to their laptop.

-Ryan

That's crap. I got a replacement cable and it still works just fine. Funny thing, when I first got on Sprint they told me at that time I could not use a phone as a modem and connect.

The service is fine, I just hate the commission driven sales force that will lie their ass off to get you to buy something more expense, or that you don't need.

I remember when I lost my phone earlier this year and found it run over. I went to get an exact replacement, heck this was a newer model phone that they still sold. They tried every trick in the book to get me to buy a more expensive phone and when I finally had to get rude and forceful that I was NOT buying any other phone than one just like I had, they proceeded to try to sell me every accessory under the sun. Never mind that I have most of them and kept telling them that.

If you have an internal modem and use the cell phone to make a call to an ISP’s dial up number, I not sure how any phone company would know if you were accessing voice or data with your call, nor why they would care. Airtime is airtime. EXCEPT, as previously noted, they would rather you use their more expensive alternatives. If it’s true, you can use the Vision card without activation, would that not be theft of services? I'm not familiar with this system, so I don’t know how it’s supposed to work.

Originally posted by Patrick Ware
Has anyone used one of these?
http://store.craytonelectronics.com/nowimec2pcsc.html

I have used the Sprint PCS Connection Card since March and think highly of it. While the coveage is spare in rural parts of the high plains, most interstates in Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas have 100% coverage, and there is increasing coverage on state highways and other roads. When the signal is anywhere from good to excellent, the speeds are low-end broadband.

I understood Novatel planned an external antenna for the card, whcih would be very useful. It is occasionally underpowered.

On a trip from Indiana to Texas last weekend, I was online about 80% of the time with the Sprint card. Used in conjunction with a wifi card, it just about makes the analog cell modem hassles a thing of the past.

I haven't heard anything but good things from the Merlin card either and the cost of the card ($80) is cheap, however the $80/mo cost of the service is expensive.

I already have a SprintPCS phone and would rather just use my minutes and dial through the laptop to an ISP. Has anyone has tried the GoMadic cables?? How does this work?? The future dial simply connects to AOL or whatever serrvice you have.

Evan

Back