Sprint EVDO Rev-A

Can't imagine this service will affect the chase community much at all, for some reason they avoided the alley ;>

San Fransisco, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Kansas City, Mo., Sacramento, Calif., Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C., Seattle, Detroit, Milwaukee, Boston, Buffalo, N.Y., Hartford, Conn., Newark/Trenton, N.J., Providence, R.I., Baltimore, New York City, and Philadelphia.

The reason I posted this is because eventually, it WILL come to the Alley. And for chasers who have the opportunity to stream video, or who have desired that opportunity but have been limited due to slow connections, it appears this new EVDO rev1 will help that out.

I purchased one of the new cards, and I can certainly say "WOW" to the upload speed difference. Here in the Seattle area, they already have the newer EVDO coverage in place, so I can stream video like never before!

I can't help but think that, perhaps even spring of '07, the newest version of EVDO coverage might even be available in the OKC, ICT, DFW areas, perhaps even more!

I think what is even more significant (though EVDO rev. anything is important) is that Sprint has been so aggressive in getting data roaming agreements. Iowa, which was once the data black hole even worse than Kansas is now nearly covered. Kansas hardly has any holes anymore, any even has a lot of EVDO coverage...

Check out the updated maps:
http://powervision.sprint.com/mobilebroadband/plans/coverage.html

-John

I think what is even more significant (though EVDO rev. anything is important) is that Sprint has been so aggressive in getting data roaming agreements. Iowa, which was once the data black hole even worse than Kansas is now nearly covered. Kansas hardly has any holes anymore, any even has a lot of EVDO coverage...

Check out the updated maps:
http://powervision.sprint.com/mobilebroadband/plans/coverage.html

-John

Those maps are not updated. Mobile, AL now has evdo and so does Alltell and Verizon.

Cingular starting in January is about to rapidly expand 3G in many locations. This will be the high speed internet that you will want.

Those maps are not updated. Mobile, AL now has evdo and so does Alltell and Verizon.

Cingular starting in January is about to rapidly expand 3G in many locations. This will be the high speed internet that you will want.

Those maps were mostly updated to reflect the Rev. A roll-out and are only a couple weeks old (still ancient in cell phone time) but the coverage on the plains is the main thing to look at.

Having been a former Cingular customer, I'll believe the network data expansion when I see it... They have continually promised much more than they can deliver in anywhere except highly urbanized areas. In my travels around the upper midwest and the plains, I've found Sprints maps to be conservative while I've always found Cingulars to be very optimistic. Data throughput in or near the Twin Cities is not what it should be... Just my personal experiences.

-John

Rev B sounds real nice !!!
http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/technology/story/0,10801,106269,00.html?source=x596

I suppose there's no end to the exciting world of technology that appears year after year, but it's also fun to sit back and think of chasing back in the 80s, when all I could do was use a pay phone! The 90s brought along the giant bag phones, and now we're using broadband laptop cards. Exciting stuff, and it can only help improve the science and success of chasing.

Back