SN Spotter Network: APRS—>SN Unstable Again

Hey John, it appears APRS to SN has become unstable again as it is not pulling location information. I have included a screenshot from APRS.fi in my post. Nothing shows on SN for that same time period.

Attachments

• CAC20ECD-4B55-4F7D-97FC-AC9B2B500F7F.jpeg
    CAC20ECD-4B55-4F7D-97FC-AC9B2B500F7F.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
Here’s two more screenshots from today. Hope these help.

Attachments

• 676B6CA3-21A5-41D3-923B-01CD66597A89.jpeg
    676B6CA3-21A5-41D3-923B-01CD66597A89.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 99375DC1-E67B-4E89-9EFC-B975FF1C99F3.jpeg
    99375DC1-E67B-4E89-9EFC-B975FF1C99F3.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi Mark,
Honestly we are at a loss here... We're seeing data flowing, positions updating, so this may be on the APRS data provider side but it's hard to really troubleshoot without real-time information.

Hi @John Wetter, I’m not sure what is needed by real time info, but you can view my location in real time at the aprs.fi website. Just search for WX5MRD-9. Also, if your provider is also aprs.fi, they did change did an overhaul of their servers at the end of April.

FYI,
I'm seeing the same thing on my position info as well. My position appears on aprs.fi without issue, but nothing is showing up on Spotternetwork.

Hi John, I’m trying to understand how the issue can’t be reproduced when locations are not being displayed on the commonly used SN place files, but are being displayed on APRS,fi?

Last edited:
As of June 1, it still isn't working. I am the coordinator of the team of hams that goes to NWS Ft. Worth. It really needs to be working. There are times we are looking for who is close to a certain area in case NWS wants to call them. If none of the APRS SN people show up on the place files, it limits our options.

Currently working on upgrades for the Tahoe comm systems replacing the Yaesu FTM-400 with a Kenwood TM-D710G / AvMap to keep track of APRS in real time. The !SN! APRS status beacon has not worked on SpotterNetwork for quite some time, my guess the script is no longer importing positions to SpotterNetwork from the APRS - IS server. I have used !SN! in my APRS beacon to keep track across ALL platforms including my streaming location for about a decade and has been instrumental in keeping / maintaining contact with my Emergency Management partners. Chris Brizendine pulls APRS-IS positions to overlay on his Augmented Reality Veiwer for the UAV/Drone systems using a LattePanda with a WiFi card in a Pelican box.
The question is: If it's not going to work anymore do I need to bother putting it in the new radio?

Attachments

• briz-werks.jpg
    briz-werks.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We have now had two severe weather episodes in DFW/North Texas where APRS--->SN has not worked. Nothing shows on the place files. It worked for two days and then quit again Friday. This issue continues to limit the ability of the local NWS WFO to communicate with spotters in the field during severe weather events. How can this not be fixed by now?

Back