SPC High Risk Day Product Archive/Link List Done!

This was a project I started one day out of boredom, and has now mushroomed into a massive research effort that I will post on my website when finished. I have done a thorough search of the Internet looking for any and all SPC convective outlooks in which a high risk was forecast, any Public Severe Weather Outlooks from that day, information about what actually happened that day, where/who was affected, chasers that were on storms that day, etc.

I have made it as complete as I can, and now I need the help of all the longtime chasers out there. If you happen to have any of these sitting around on your computer's hard drive, please let me know and, if possible, e-mail them to me:

Categorical/probabilistic graphics and any Public Severe Weather Outlook texts from 6-11-01, 4-16-02, 7-31-02, 12-23-02

Any graphics or text from high-risk days farther back than 2000

And can anyone answer this question for me: Was March 13, 1990 (Hesston, KS outbreak) a high-risk day?

Thanks for your time in advance, Andy

Re: Plea for help in compiling all-time SPC high risk databa

Categorical/probabilistic graphics and any Public Severe Weather Outlook texts from 6-11-01, 4-16-02, 7-31-02, 12-23-02

The "categorical" graphics can be obtained on the Severe Thunderstorm Event Database at http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/even...rchindex.html... I'm assuming you know this, since you inquired about 'all other days before 2000'. Don't really know anywhere to get the prob. (tornado/wind/hail) grpahics, tho...

Andy, you may want to contact SPC about that. I'm sure they have it filed away somewhere but they probably don't make that available to the public until they started archiving them on their site last year. I know the local Sullivan office has tons of records that would take up WAY too much webspace. Requests come in at intervals for information and then you can look it up. I don't know if they'll actually look it all up for you but they're nice guys so it can't hurt to try :)

You might want to add June 2, 1990 to your list of high risks. I don't have the text for it, however, but the tornado outbreak primarily covered parts of Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio and Michigan (more isolated tornadoes outside of that area). There was a total of 68 tornadoes, with seven of them F4. One tornado traveled from Illinois to Indiana witha 106 mile path length. This same storm produced a family of 10 tornadoes, extending from southeast Illinois to southwest Ohio. The only other things I can offer at the moment would be tornado track maps and radar images from the WSR-57 at Covington, Kentucky.

Thanks Bryce. I think the link you were referring to is the one to the tornado watch from April 26, 1991. I realized I'd done that one wrong shortly after putting the page up and fixed it immediately.

Dan, 4-19-96 is on the list. It's number 15.

Nick, thank you so much for letting me know! That's exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for when I first started this thread. The track maps and radar images would be awesome! I will add 6-02-90 ASAP.

Just found out about another one I missed while browsing Jeff Piotrowski's website www.stormproductionsinc.com
June 14, 1998:

CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK...REF AFOS NMCGPH94O.

VALID 141500Z - 151200Z

REF WW NUMBER 0575...VALID TIL 1800Z
REF WW NUMBER 0576...VALID TIL 2000Z

THERE IS A HIGH RISK OF SVR TSTMS OVER PORTIONS OF EASTERN MO..SRN IL..WRN KY..AND MOST OF TN ...TO THE RIGHT OF A LINE FROM CHA 35 S MKL 20 SE P02 30 NE COU 35 SE UIN 15 SW EVV 50 N CSV 20 SE TYS 45 E CHA CHA.

VERY STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM FORECAST TO MOVE EASTWARD ACROSS CENTRAL U.S. TODAY. WIND FIELDS ARE EXTREMELY STRONG AND HODOGRAPHS SUPPORT SUPERCELL DEVELOPMENT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF STRONG TORNADOES THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT....PARTICULARLY IN HIGH RISK AREA. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF STRONG BOW ECHO DEVELOPMENT WITH POTENTIAL FOR DERECHO EVENT...PARTICULARLY LATER IN PERIOD IN SOUTHEASTERN PORTIONS OUTLOOK AREAS.

A PUBLIC WEATHER OUTLOOK WILL BE ISSUED AT 11:00 AM CDT.

..JOHNS/MCCARTHY.. 06/14/98

Added June 02, 1990 and June 14, 1998 to the site. Will upload a page with some of Nick's images tomorrow.

Edit 1/23/05-Added the page with some of the stuff Nick sent me. Includes some radar images from the Covington, KY WSR-57, plus a few screenshots of the TWC coverage, and the text of a tornado warning issued by the Covington NWS.

Have added another date (May 02, 1997) to the pre-2000 page, and started work on the recent events page. So far the list and the product archive are completed through May 10, 2003.
http://sphs.angeltowns.net/A_R_Wehrle/rece...nthighrisk.html

Does anyone know where the chase accounts that are broken links have been moved to? (Ahem Nick Grillo what happened to your May 05, '03 chase?)

Also, if you chased on one of these days and have a chase account online that is missing from my list, please let me know and I'll add it on.

Thanks, Andrea

I now have the archive updated through May 22nd, 2004. I have decided to divide the recent high risks section into two pages, to prevent it from becoming to unwieldy both for me who has to set it up, and for visitors who have to scroll through it. The second page will begin with May 24, 2004, May 29, 2004, and May 30, 2004; and will include all SPC high risk forecasts yet to come.

http://sphs.angeltowns.net/A_R_Wehrle/rece...nthighrisk.html

Back