South Central Minnesota: Saturday June 24, 2023: Severe Storms, Scud, Wall Clouds & ‘Possible’ Tornadoes

Blue Earth County Minnesota. There was a tornado watch for most of northern Iowa (about 75 miles to my south)
The action starts around 2:15

As you'll see, the storm was a substantial distance away (possibly 10-15 miles) so I had to use heavy zoom which severely affects the stabilization features in the camcorder & lowers the quality as well. There was a tornado warning in the area to the south of where I was filming (Janesville) approximately 1/2 hour earlier. Speed x 2.

*The storm shown from 0:00 to 2:19 is a different cell*

FYI: The red play button for the YouTube video covers the best part of the screen cap I used. Someone on Facebook accused me of using a fake thumbnail.
It's real. I'm sure others have noticed people put sensational looking tornado caps on their YouTube videos to get views. I don't. Here's the original.

I'm not a moderator and not trying to give you a hard time, but wouldn't this better fit in the Reports thread for this day in Target Area sub forum? There is also a photography forum where arguably video content can go.

Are you looking for a discussion about something regarding this storm or just placing a video link here?

This sub forum is usually reserved for topical discussions. There are descriptions for how to use the various sub forums as sticky posts.

I've posted similar content in this same section & as far as I know, none of the moderators had a problem with it.

This section of the forum is called Advanced Weather & Chasing.
I was chasing last Saturday.

As for what I was hoping to see in the thread?
I highlighted the word possible in the thread title.( Severe Storms, Scud, Wall Clouds & ‘Possible’ Tornadoes)
So I suppose I was hoping others might give their opinion regarding whether or not it was a tornado, or something else.

I'm fairly sure this is the same storm I was filming.

I see... well as stated I wasn't trying to be unfriendly, just truly not sure what you had intended since many members post footage and photos for each day with the Reports threads in target area or in the photography section (traditions that perhaps used to be a rule). One nice thing about that is we can all go to the same thread and perhaps see multiple angles of the same storm.

Anyway, the camera motion combined with the vegitation makes it hard for me to be sure but since there is also rising condensation left and right of the feature I am leaning scud at the indicated time in the video. The one part where it looks like a possible funnel, the rising motion cannot be seen to be persistent and rotating, with no storm structure visible to me that would suggest a meso based wall cloud or funnel. That's just my take, but again it can be hard with various video obstacles. A camera angle that doesn't move makes spotting persistent motion trends in the cloud the easiest.

Looks pretty scud-y. I'm not sure there would be anything reportable based on what I see in the video. It's possible there is a rotating wall cloud, but you can't really make out storm structure in the video with the zoom.

There was a storm with similar features last week in New Richmond, WI that got reported as a funnel on SN.

Back